Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backup gun question

darnobody

You must get approval and rechrono, if there is one.

5.1.7 Competitors must use the same handgun and type of sights for all courses of fire in a match. However, in the event that a competitor’s original handgun and/or sights become unserviceable or unsafe during a match, the competitor must, before using a substitute handgun and/or sights, seek permission from the Range Master who may approve the substitution provided he is satisfied:

5.1.7.1 The substitute handgun satisfies the requirements of the relevant Division.

5.1.7.2 In using the substitute handgun the competitor will not gain a competitive advantage.

5.1.7.3 The competitor’s replacement handgun and its appropriate ammunition must be chronographed per Rule 5.6, regardless of whether or not the original handgun was previously tested.

5.1.7.4 If the original handgun/ammunition was not previously tested, and if the original handgun has already been used on a stage, and can be safely fired (i.e. the malfunction is not related to an inability to safely fire the handgun), then the original handgun and its ammunition supply remain subject to testing.

5.1.8 A competitor who substitutes or significantly modifies a handgun during a match without the prior approval of the Range Master will be subject to the provisions of Section 10.6.

Edited by JAFO

Yes. The decision is ultimately up to the RM, but there should be no issue as long as the .45 doesn't have some other feature that could be considered a significant advantage.

5.1.7 Competitors must use the same handgun and type of sights for all courses of fire in a match. However, in the event that a competitor’s original handgun and/or sights become unserviceable or unsafe during a match, the competitor must, before using a substitute handgun and/or sights, seek permission from the Range Master who may approve the substitution provided he is satisfied:
5.1.7.1 The substitute handgun satisfies the requirements of the relevant Division.
5.1.7.2 In using the substitute handgun the competitor will not gain a competitive advantage.
5.1.7.3 The competitor’s replacement handgun and its appropriate ammunition must be chronographed per Rule 5.6, regardless of whether or not the original handgun was previously tested.
5.1.7.4 If the original handgun/ammunition was not previously tested, and if the original handgun has already been used on a stage, and can be safely fired (i.e. the malfunction is not related to an inability to safely fire the handgun), then the original handgun and its ammunition supply remain subject to testing.

Up to the rangemaster but if the gun breaks and you replace it with one that fits the division requirements I have never seen an RM have an issue with somebody switching to one that fits the division requirements if the primary broke

Edited by EkuJustice

You would be stupid to use a lower quality gun as your primary with the intent of switching to a more suitable gun as a secondary. RM's know this, so as long as the gun at least fits the division requirements they tend to not have a problem with you finishing the match with a backup gun. You will get dropped to minor scoring if all you have available is your 9mm production gun. :D

That pretty much sums it up.

I have not approved a replacement 3 times. Once, the original could be easily repaired. The second, the competitor wanted to switch from a Glock to a 2011 and the "accuracy stage" was coming up. I approved him to use a squad mates Glock. The third time, it was high primers.

You would be stupid to use a lower quality gun as your primary with the intent of switching to a more suitable gun as a secondary. RM's know this, so as long as the gun at least fits the division requirements they tend to not have a problem with you finishing the match with a backup gun. You will get dropped to minor scoring if all you have available is your 9mm production gun. :D

am I reading this correctly that the back up(secondary gun) has to be in the same division? So as an example I couldnt switch from a limited 2011 to a use an MP in production mid match if the 2011 had a non fixable problem? Or would I be foreced to use the Mp in Limited?

I am asking because I am trying to figure out if I should get a HP Edge while i wait for a custom gun, or if I should just get a MP and shoot production while I wait.

Thanks for the help

The second, the competitor wanted to switch from a Glock to a 2011 and the "accuracy stage" was coming up. I approved him to use a squad mates Glock.

I don't know that I agree with that call. It's hard to say, not being at the match and knowing all the details. It does do a good job of highlighting the fact that the final call is up to the RM. If the RM isn't up on the rules, and decides that a Para can't be used as a backup for an STI, you are at his mercy. (I was at a match one time where the RM wouldn't let the shooter switch to a G34 after he started the match with a 2011. I think he was wrong, but it didn't help the shooter on that day.)

am I reading this correctly that the back up(secondary gun) has to be in the same division? So as an example I couldnt switch from a limited 2011 to a use an MP in production mid match if the 2011 had a non fixable problem? Or would I be foreced to use the Mp in Limited?

I am asking because I am trying to figure out if I should get a HP Edge while i wait for a custom gun, or if I should just get a MP and shoot production while I wait.

Thanks for the help

If you start in Limited Major and end up going to your production gun to finish the match, you will end up shooting Limited Minor. The only permissible change in division is getting bumped to Open. Not what you want if you started in any other division.

I would probibally get the production gun and shoot that and while your waiting and then you have another division you can shoot over a backup for the same division only that will basically sit in the safe.

Edited by EkuJustice

I just got a new edge and 40. My old limited gun is a para P14. But someone told me it had to be the same caliber. But I didn't read it that way ,so I asked the question here.

Same caliber requirement was in effect in the 2001 rule book, gone in 2004. Tell your friend to go have a read here, as things change!

Later,

Chuck

• 2 months later...