Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The battle of two Revolvers (6-Shot Major vs 8-Shot Minor)

mcb

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just dividing total raw points by total time for each gun the 8 shooter won by ~1.6%. Not sure how it would work out if you figured it stage by stage like a match.

Doing stage by stage like a match you get.

8-shot had 1637.2 match pts

6-shot had 1641.0 match pts

6-shot had 100.23% of 8-shot match points

Assuming I did not screw up my spreadsheet as badly as I did my OP.

I know from personal experience I have a hard time transitioning between my 625 and 627.

Same for me. They are both N frames but I find them very different to actually shoot.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.

A few years back, I shot my 625 at an USPSA match. The following Sat. I was shooting an ICORE match so I left the belt set up in the truck. One the 1st stage at the make ready command, I loaded my 627 and holstered it. OOOPS. It fell out. DQ. I got home, all PO'ed, and measured the thickness of the 627 and found it to be a tad wider than my 625. It never fully seated in the holster, but on top.

Both N frames. I know my fault, but still...

• 2 weeks later...

Added four more stages to my battle of two revolvers. This weekend at Gem City Gun Club went to the 8-shot minor by 4.3% over the four stages

The new totals are:

Twenty-three stages ranged from 1 rd to 31 rds, averaging 20.13 rds/stage, total round count of 463rds.

I scored it as if it was a two person match, using the high HF for each stage as usual for match points. 8-shot Minor is now just barely squeeking out the win.

8-shot has 2149.8 match pts
6-shot has 2132.6 match pts
6-shot has 99.20% of 8-shot match points

Total points possible was 2315.

8-shot raw points was 2041
6-shot raw points was 2120

8-shot penalty points was 40

6-shot penalty points was 60

8-shot had a total trigger time of 497.76 sec
6-shot had a total trigger time of 526.37 sec

6-shot has won 14 of 23 stages

mcb, are you just keeping a running total of the points scored and time? It really makes a difference in what stage you lost the penalty points, as you can drop 20 points on a large scoring stage and it will affect your score less than losing the same 20 points on a short stage. The same goes for the time difference between your 8 and 6 shot revos.

Edited by Bubber

mcb, are you just keeping a running total of the points scored and time? It really makes a difference in what stage you lost the penalty points, as you can drop 20 points on a large scoring stage and it will affect your score less than losing the same 20 points on a short stage. The same goes for the time difference between your 8 and 6 shot revos.

It is a running total of stages fired. For each stage I have two competitors one shooting 6-shot Major and one shooting 8-shot Minor. I calculate the HF for each and the winner 100% of the stage points and the other gets a percentage equal to the ratio of the hit factors just like any regular match is scored.

MCB, Has the six shooter won more matches than the eight shot? I ask beacause some stages contribute more to match points than others. Thanks

At this point 6-shot has won 14 of 23 stages, despite 8-shot presently winning with a slim margin in total match points.

split the difference and shoot a 7 shot!

If I buy another revolver the first thing shot with it will be me when the wife finds out.

Edited by mcb

split the difference and shoot a 7 shot!

If I buy another revolver the first thing shot with it will be me when the wife finds out.

I just use the same thing on her as she does on me... " This old thing, I've had this forever"