Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Un captured, now what?

JunotFranco

You should be able to use the right sized Glock spring for the pistol you are using. You could take the spring that is on the captured factory but I would go with something tuned to the load you are shooting. No use customizing and using the factory spring. Here are some springs but many other places sell them for Glocks.

http://www.glockworx.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156429&CAT=3694

From the "Features" tab on the link above:

• Increase slide speed, lessen felt recoil, and change the way the gun reacts during recoil.
  • The correct spring and ammo configurations will create a gun that shoots flatter and faster.
  • We recommend the 15 lbs spring for major PF .40 s&w. For 9mm or 40 minor we recommend the 13 lbs spring. For major 9 open Glock will depend on your load, and gun configuration.
  • The stock Glock recoil spring is 17 lbs. Generally a aftermarket guide rod is required for these springs.

Midway carries springs too

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=17264

Edited by Rob01

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+2. i run a extended TGR with an ismi flat wire 13 pound spring for major .40. although it work good, my particular unit has now a circumferencial notch left by the spring at a certain point of the rod after only 500 rounds. Wonder if i run the right spring for it . been told to run flat wire springs, but i'm now skeptical .

The stock glock guide rod comes apart, the plastic tip pops off the front. What I did was compress the spring so it isnt being held in place by the front of the guide rod pop that pin out and then slowly remove the spring.

• 2 months later...

Santa brought me a SSS Tungsten GR for my G24. I put a flat wire ISMI 15# on it. Will report back later when I get a chance to run it.

Since installing this combination , I have had some failures to feed. Almost like the round is not getting up out of the mag quick enough or the slide is not retracting far enough. Running 175 PF loads. I may go back to factory spring and rod just to see if it quits. Does this make any sense? My mags have new TTI basepads with new spring that came with it.