Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets- Trouble with load development

ambluemax

Long story short, this is my first rodeo with Bayou bullets. I've been shooting various other cast and moly bullets over the years and decided to give Bayou a try. I used my go to powder charge for a 125gr bullet of 3.8gr of Unique which I have chrono'ed in the past with Precision bullets. First time out I brought them to a league night match and found that they would barely cycle my g34. I would have 3-4 FTE's per stage and it was like there wasn't enough pressure to blow back the slide. I switched to my backup G17 mid match and had the same issues with it.

I have upped my charge to 4.1gr of Unique and it has gotten better but still not 100%. Due to the ammo crisis I've switched powders to Solo 1000 (which I've never used). I did some research and decided to try 4.0gr and in my first batch of 80 I still had 2 FTE.

I made a bunch of my initial batch of 3.8gr Unique before I ran into any of this. That same batch of ammo will run my M&P9 4.25 all day long (500rds and counting 100%). I'm going to try some in my 9mm 1911 tonight as well.

Does this make sense to anyone? Any suggestions of a load I should try with either Solo 1000, clays or Titegroup and a 125gr Bayou? My COL is 1.11"

your load seems quite light for a med powder so i am not surprised it has problems cycling. you can solve it by either bumping up the load, or changing the recoil spring to a lighter one. I bet if you threw that load over a chrono, it would probably not break 900fps.

one thing I also noticed like you, is that my mp9 will cycle stuff that a Glock won't.

• 2 weeks later...

So Alliant's website says 5.8gr Unique for a 124gr jacketed bullet. You're a third under that charge. I'd try maybe 20% under that for starters (4.6grains or so) and work up if I needed to.

3.8 sounds "about right" for a starting load with 147gr Bayou Bullets, though...

Change out the recoil spring to a 13lb. One, after you check the crono FPS!

This......

Since it is a light load, need a lighter spring than the factory weight spring to move the slide faster

so it will eject and feed another round.

For non USPSA matches I am using 135gr Bayou Bullet with 3.7 solo and it still functions, won't make PF

for USPSA.

• 2 months later...