Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having the worst day

warpspeed

I'm having a really rough day.

Dog woke me up last night. He can't walk all of a sudden. 10 year old Airedale so he's no pup.

Took the kids to school ad them him to the vet. Vet said they'd take x-rays and let me know what they find.

Hoping for something fixable but ...........

My dog went through a "phase," about a year ago, where he could barely get up at all. It came on real sudden. He's about a 65 lb. mix of shepard and chow. The Vet was shocked at how little arthritis was in his joints, so she put him on some meds. One pain med and one other experimental med I think had something to do with his nervous system. Over a period of a 6 - 8 weeks, he slowly got better, and I slowly weaned him off the meds, one at a time. Now he runs all over the place like nothing ever happened. The Vet said she would not have expected that recovery, but she had seen similar recoveries. They have lots of options, more than the traditional meds, that they can try nowadays. So keep your spirits up.

Well the dog is home. Not a whole lot more mobile but I am hopeful.

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts.

Dr said his hips are "very arthritic". The x-ray was pretty bad. Lots of cloudy white area around the joints. He gave him an injection and some pain meds and said to give it a few days so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he gets better. Hoping for a little improvement.

I know that he will not live forever but I'd just like it to be a little longer.

My big dog has crap hips. It's my fault I'm sure for running the heck out of him when he was a puppy. Dog loves to fetch.

I digress.

Every once in a while he has these limping spells. They last a few days and he recovers. The vet tells me once a year at his annual that the dogs hips are shot and to expect to have to start giving the dog steroids and painkillers. And year after year the dog deals with it. No whining. Just moves a little slower than he used to.

People should be so tough. This has been going on for 5 years.

Edited by Seth

If he is not already on the glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, I highly recommend them. They work wonders for hip arthritis.

As strange as it may sound, try Gluten free dog food.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

As strange as it may sound, try Gluten free dog food.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

And glucosamine supplements.

I have had him on Sinovi G4 for a couple of months and it made a huge difference. One of the reasons this came out of left field.

My just shy of 6 year old bully has had luxating patellas (bad knees) first detected at about 1 year.

We've had him on joint supplements (glucosamine) ever since and he still jets like a puppy. We keep his weight in check and some rimadyl on hand just in case he has a difficult episode which has only happened twice since that first year.

Wishing the OP the best for his four-legged friend.

Well it looks like the Rymidyl is working.

He got up this morning and walked, relatively normal, out from the back of the house where he sleeps all the way out side.

Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts.

Good to hear it's working, I used to give my dog salmon oil capsules which made a difference to his old joints and others mentioned Glucosamine works well and plenty of variations out there.

Google Leerburg.com and there is tons of info there on this topic.

Happy dog equals very happy owner and vice versa. All the best.

• 3 weeks later...