Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you use plastic or 1911/2011 pistol for CDP?

DrLove

• 2 weeks later...

M&P 45. The grip angle is perfect for my hand. The gun is utterly reliable and more than accurate enough to hit the 0 Zone.

And, the basic gun, with a Burwell trigger job, Dawsen sights, and a strip of skateboard tape is still significantly less expensive than a 1911/2011 that is competition ready.

I prefer a real metal 1911. It looks much more 'cool', and it also makes it easier for me to flip and catch the last round at ULSC. Also you can shoot a $800-1000 1911 right out of the box instead of having to spend $100's on sights, a trigger job and skateboard tape.

:devil:

:cheers:

When I first started in CDP, it was with a Glock 21. This lasted for about one year. Then a Springfield 1911, then a STI Eagle in .45 then bought a STI Trojan. Now when I shoot IDPA in CDP I shoot the Eagle (double stack quicker to reload). I also use the Trojan at local matches to "tune" for Single Stack in USPSA. The Springfield is my daily carry gun....and I sold off the Glock 21 to help pay for the Eagle.

I prefer a real metal 1911. It looks much more 'cool', and it also makes it easier for me to flip and catch the last round at ULSC. Also you can shoot a $800-1000 1911 right out of the box instead of having to spend $100's on sights, a trigger job and skateboard tape.

:devil:

:cheers:

You could have saved a couple hundred bucks, and got a better gun, if you went to a M&P .45... and then you wouldn't have to worry about that long 1911 ejector detonating a cartridge when you do your "cool" flip and catch "show off" routine.

I would have inserted an Icon here, but I couldn't find one for Troll. Or, the other thoughts I had regarding your post. :devil:

You could have saved a couple hundred bucks, and got a better gun, if you went to a M&P .45... and then you wouldn't have to worry about that long 1911 ejector detonating a cartridge when you do your "cool" flip and catch "show off" routine.

I had an M&P40. OK gun, but I have a soul, so I sold it and I'll stick with metal from now on. Also I wouldn't have saved any money by the time I bought more expensive mags, fixed the trigger, replaced the sights, and otherwise made the gun shootable by human beings.

Note also that as an accolyte of science and rationalism in general, I have no fear whatsoever of a detonation. I know what causes them... slow and weak ejection. Don't be slow and weak. :cheers:

a friend of mine had a jam-o-matic 1911, switched over to a G21 and just made master with it. YMMV

A friend of mine had a glock, and he died when it exploded, so he got a 1911 and won the IPSC world shoot.

ymmv. :roflol:

seriously, if your 1911 jams, you're doing it wrong. I honestly see more jam issues in competition with glocks and with 2011's, but I suspect those are all ammo problems or poorly worked-over guns. Just about every popular gun is going to be very very reliable unless you do something to mess it up, so shoot what you enjoy the most. :bow:

Own 1911's, 2011 and MP in 45acp. Like them all that's why I bought them. My favorite is a Steel 1911. Feels best in the hand to me . Points the best because Mr. Browning understood the human body before they called it ergonomics! BUT

Shoot what fits you both in your hand and in your soul.

Nothing like 40 plus ozs of 1911!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot an full size 1911 (STI Sentinel) in CDP. While I see some non-1911s in CDP, at least at my club, the 1911 is by far the pistol of choice. Not trying to start a 1911 vs. plastic debate, it's just what I'm seeing. The popularity of polymer guns will undoubtably contribute to the numbers increasing in CDP, just has it's done over the last ten years in the other divisions. Only the revolver divisions are still safe from plastic onslaught. LOL!

I started shooting CDP with a Sig P220 and did pretty well with it but there is a lack of aftermarket support for this gun.

After trying a buddy's M&P .45 and shooting a couple of matches with it, I picked up one for myself and really like it. Will be putting a magwell on it soon.