Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is match fee so expensive

MarkCO......to be honest, that WAS a great match! Regardless of your state's new crappy laws, I'm hoping I get to shoot that match again next year. If it were $250, I would still shoot it!

Still working on the laws...

Proposed dates for the Noveske (at CRC in Colorado) are August 29-31, 2014.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MarkCO......to be honest, that WAS a great match! Regardless of your state's new crappy laws, I'm hoping I get to shoot that match again next year. If it were $250, I would still shoot it!

Still working on the laws...

Proposed dates for the Noveske (at CRC in Colorado) are August 29-31, 2014.

As long as it doesn't interfere with the Pro-Am......count me in! Loved the AM/PM shooting schedule BTW.......much easier to do as a shooter, compared with shoot one/wait one.

Jeez.. Whining about match fees should be kind of embarrassing. It would be like me whining about having to pay $280 to play the Stadium course at TPC versus $30 to play the local Muni, and that lasts only four hours!!! You've got to pay to play. There's countless threads on what it costs to shoot for a season and some people spend more than others. Should there be a government-sponsored voucher program for people who can't afford to shoot a three gun match? I shoot what I can afford to shoot and don't shoot what I can't afford to. If a person doesn't see the value in spending three days at the range doing what they love to do then go to Disney for a weekend and ride roller coasters and play with Mickey. That costs twice as much and in my opinion, sucks out loud.

Jeez.. Whining about match fees should be kind of embarrassing. It would be like me whining about having to pay $280 to play the Stadium course at TPC versus $30 to play the local Muni, and that lasts only four hours!!! You've got to pay to play. There's countless threads on what it costs to shoot for a season and some people spend more than others. Should there be a government-sponsored voucher program for people who can't afford to shoot a three gun match? I shoot what I can afford to shoot and don't shoot what I can't afford to. If a person doesn't see the value in spending three days at the range doing what they love to do then go to Disney for a weekend and ride roller coasters and play with Mickey. That costs twice as much and in my opinion, sucks out loud.

THANK YOU! Well stated!

to play the game at the Local Level, it will cost you $X

to play the game at the State Level, it will cost you $YY

to play the game at the National Level, it will cost you $ZZZ

Sponsors are being leaned on more and more to bolster the prize table and some times being asked to help off set match production costs to help keep entry fees down.

there are a lot of matches that have higher operating costs that must be absorbed by the competitors entry fees than others.

some ranges have better and cheaper infrastructure than others.

Some have a larger (Free) labor pool to draw from.

I have to choose like every one else at the beginning of the season what I can afford to do, and (hold on) the fancy shirt and working for a Firearms Manufacturer who sponsors 3 gun matches does not mean i get to go to any and every match I would like to shoot !

the Match entry fees are what they are. they are set so the Match director will not loose his (or her) shirt and would be willing to put that big match on again next year.

Some Major matches cost more and some less to enter, But do not mistake the entry fees with the quality of the competition,

the most fun I've had was at a match in Northern Nevada, a very hard 14 hour day shooting in the snow and sleet,

the bar-b-que dinner by head lights and scavenging target sticks for the fire pit, and the 14 hour drive each way to get there. . . .entry fee $90.

(And I will not criticize the Mouse Nor the Mouse House as I spent 21 years of my youth designing and building theme parks around the world, and has allowed me to buy many of the toys I get to play with every weekend)

THANK YOU! Well stated!

Whenever I play the TPC course, no one ever tells me what clubs I should play with because that a certain club maker is a sponsor. Sorry, this is a carryover from an earlier topic on rifles.

THANK YOU! Well stated!

Whenever I play the TPC course, no one ever tells me what clubs I should play with because that a certain club maker is a sponsor. Sorry, this is a carryover from an earlier topic on rifles.

In Golf do they have prize tables for first to last place?

Pat

(And I will not criticize the Mouse Nor the Mouse House as I spent 21 years of my youth designing and building theme parks around the world, and has allowed me to buy many of the toys I get to play with every weekend)

I would love to see a match designed by you with unlimited funds. Animatronic steel plates popping up and down taunting people. Rumbas with targets and no shoots moving dancing in and out. Earthquake floors as shooting positions. Drunk singing pirates for no real reason. That would be the coolest match.

This whole thread is becoming stupid, if you don't want to shoot a match, don't. Nobody does this because they can't afford it. If you can't afford it you should stop, sell all your guns, ammo, and take up a cheaper sport, like volleyball.

This whole thread is becoming stupid, if you don't want to shoot a match, don't. Nobody does this because they can't afford it. If you can't afford it you should stop, sell all your guns, ammo, and take up a cheaper sport, like volleyball.

+10.

Let's see...shotgun around $2k, rifle at $3,200, pistol was around $3,400. Add all the mags and gear and we have over $10 grand into the sport without even thinking about ammo. And yer gonna bitch about entry fees that are $300? WTF.

The original post seems like pretty blatant trolling on a forum like this where most know what they're getting into when they do multi-gun. But also not everyone is putting in that much money to the sport, so the ratio of gear to entry fees is vastly different for some.

I kinda hope somebody is making some money off of these matches. Volunteerism only gets you so much.

Amen! Why are match fees so expensive? Because it's worth it!

Supply and demand. At a point where there are more matches than shooters, the price will come down. But, when a 3 day match w/ 225 shooters fills in a couple weeks (or much less for some events) with a match fee of $250, why should they cost less?

This.

Judging from the new faces, level of enthusiasm, and skill at this year's ProAm, don't look for things to change in this regard.

There were 60 guns on the prize table at the Pro Am last weekend. I tanked a couple of stages and still walked away with $400 in swag that I actually had a use for. I would much rather pay a little more for a 3 gun match with a massive prize table than save $75-$100 in match fees so I can win another flashlight or knife. I don't think this is a big problem with all the major matches having waiting list within days of accepting registration.

THANK YOU! Well stated!

In Golf do they have prize tables for first to last place?

Pat

OH , GOLF, :roflol: i had NO IDEA what Life was talking about, til the "I shoot what I can afford to shoot....." :sick:

guess I need to get OUT more.

I would love to see a match designed by you with unlimited funds. Animatronic steel plates popping up and down taunting people. Rumbas with targets and no shoots moving dancing in and out. Earthquake floors as shooting positions. Drunk singing pirates for no real reason. That would be the coolest match.

I would pay big money, BIG I SAY, for a match with Drunk singing pirates props!

Cheaper is usually more attractive for most people and I would certainly like to spend less than more. In the larger picture though, our sport is expensive all the way around. Most people show up to a large match with $7-$10k in guns gear and ammo. There's travel, hotels, food, spirits, that ticket for pissing on the side of the highway when driving through Colorado. The $300 match fee is really a pretty small part of the equation and after working a few of the large matches, I know how expensive it is to host the match. The income is also limited by the number of competitors can be run through the match. RM3G is a 3 day match and is slowly turning into an A and B ratation, as the RO squads are filling up with main event competitors. Even then they can only squeeze in 350 or so competitors and staff. You go to a national level ATA event and there will be 5000+ trap shooters and ATA Nationals this year had some 15000 competitor slots. At both the Noveske and RM3G matches, staff wasn't paid, but the directors still incured massive expenses to get the staff there just with lodging, food and gas. Getting to shoot the match for free isn't compensation enough for the work which has to be done. RM3G is an ass kicker to work and anyone who thinks that a waved $300 match fee is compensation for an entire week of vacation and 6 days of sun up to sun down range work in the burnin desert, is out of their mind. Mark and Dennise have access to experienced RO's because they try to take care of their staff. Funny how this thread speaks about high match fees, while there is another thread which discusses the shortage of highly skilled ROs at matches and then another thread where someone is butt hurt over being encouraged to use match sponsor products.