Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A little Glock fun

dirtypool40

"glock chose the angle because its supposed to be the easiest to shoot well"

I always get a big kick out of that. A non-shooter reinventing the wheel. We had a good grip angle that was basically standardized the world over for the last, oh century!! and it just needed fixing because "no one could shoot it well"....ROTFLMAO :P

Thanks for saving us from ourselves Gaston.

Sorry I couldn't resist. Meant no offense, but I have heard that one before.

You wanna make fun of me? :mellow: well, now I stepped in it, my drills are probably the best place to start. Frickin' dumb ole' splits. who made up this rasafratchin' drill anyway?

We had a good grip angle that was basically standardized the world over for the last, oh century!! and it just needed fixing because "no one could shoot it well"....ROTFLMAO :P

And, then you are posting in another thread asking how to change the trigger out of your 1911 based gun? ROTFLMAO!

I thought those guns were perfect? :blink:

I get so tired of the "this thing is better than that thing" debates. I hate the dogma.

Nothing fits everybody. They are just tools. Grab one that fits and practice.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.) :)

while I hesitate to engage in any sort of disagreement with a member of the "ruling class", I think you're missing my point, Flex.

The 1911 angle, what ever that is, and I have not ever hauled out the protractor, was pretty standard since 1909ish (discounting the toggle linkers of course), and if you could point a 1911, a Sig, Smith, Berreta & Browning all pointed close to where you intended. The Glock was a major departure. That was my point.

As far as posting about changing a trigger face, you got me, I did ask for help. Probably not the best course I know, admitting I don't know something, but it's true. Actually a moot point because my gear arrived the next day. I was just wondering why the face would not come out when I though it should have. Was it stuck? Was there something else amiss? A mystery I was looking for experienced help on.

And as far as the 1911's being perfect, the duality of the modern 1911 (particularly the S_I's) is such that while there will never be one perfect offering for all shooters, the perfect set up for almost any shooter is almost asuredly available by swapping this or that out for the multitude of acoutrments that take up fifty pages in Borwnell's. If you think they are perfect, good for you, you've discovered your combination. Personally,I have more tuning and experimenting to do.

Sorry for the confusion. I will not dare voice an opinion about a Glock in the future. Run a search of Dogma, crossed with my name and you might find that I am not a great proponent of it either.

while I hesitate to engage in any sort of disagreement with a member of the "ruling class", I think you're missing my point, Flex.

Feel free to disagree with me any time you like. Different opinions and sharing information are what forums are all about (here, we try to keep it respectful, I hope we do a good job).

Anyway...throw an opinion out...somebody else will throw their opinion out..we'll beat it around for a while, and see what sticks. Sometimes, nothing does.

Now...you did go out of your way to throw out a few remarks about the

Glock, and you emphasized that the 1911 has been pretty much standard ...since forever...that it didn't need any "fixing".

I disagreed with that, and felt liking sharing. :)

I wasn't pointing out that you didn't know how to change that trigger out. Hell, I have to get the books out when I tear into those guns...espeically the Series 80 parts. What I was pointing out was that...the gun wasn't standard...proof being the diffeent sized triggers that are available.

Further...the grip on the 1911 has been ever evolving. In about 1920, they came out with the 1911 A1...with the arched main spring housing. Since then, they came out with the extended grip safeties (to prevent hammer bite?)...and gunsmiths all the world over have been blending those into guns as high as possible. Then there are the under cut trigger guards. The vaious length triggers. All this in an attempt to get the right feel for the shooter.

Heck, one of the local shooters sent in a piece of paper with a traced copy of his hand when he was getting a "custom grip" made for his STI.

Sure, the angle hasn't changed. Doing so would change the whole aspect of the gun (mags, feeding, ect.). (I don't know if the angle has any impact on how well the Gocks feed? Could be a good experiment for somebody.)

I think the availability and customability (is that a word?) of the 1911 based guns is a true asset. And, they are great guns. But, the guns we see today are often far from the standard of a century ago.

And, hey...those Glocks have been around thru three decades now. They seem to be doing OK. :)

(DP...seriously...no offense. Every once in a while I pick out one of the anti-Glock posts and have some fun with it. You kinda served me up a fat pitch, down the center of the plate.)

the idea of the glock was not to "fix" something that was wrong it was to make something that required LESS training to manipulate. lets face it, cops don't train like we do with weapons handling.

glocks were not made to be nice guns, pretty guns. just guns that work, no matter what for most idiots out ther ethat want to point their gun like you point a finger.... simple guns for simple people

before someone calls me a biggot... i'm currently shooting glocks.... just because they are different.

Both the 1911 and Glock have their place but didn't the Luger and 1911 battle it out for the US govment on 1910 (?). That is why "the" .45 Luger is rare and expensive.

And the Luger and Glock share the same grip angle or close. There must be some merit to it.

It depends on what is familiar to you. That is the basis for how other guns are judged by you.

FWIW, I like both but the Glock took a while to feel right.

As for "grip fits" I have to go with SS and the Big Goriller, they all work for me when I use an "IPSC grip".

I've practiced with the Glock the most though, so maybe I've just learned to live with it? If I was a multiple GM and Master like Flex I'd put a smiley after that last statement.

Am I the only one that has no problem with either one? I mean, I pick up a Glock and it points just like it should. I pick up a 1911, same thing. I don''t get it.  :huh:

You're not the only one.

That makes at least three of us. I figure it is because I am not sensitive enough to appreciate the subtle differences

Hey guys,

I enjoy the debate btwn Glock and 1911 style guns. I have both and enjoy shooting them both but have to shoot a couple of hundred rounds to start to get back on the sight picture quickly when I change guns.

I just wanted to share an opinion here. I don't really know what Gaston Glock had in mind when he designed the glock other than a dependable handgun. And that he has done. I just read an article in the 2004 Glock Annual about a man that has documented 186,000 rounds through his G17 over the last 13 years. It is a pretty good read that descirbes his "torture test." He had to replace the plastic front sight with a metal one because he drew the gun so much he rubbed the side of it off!!!! His first failure to feed came at 32,994 rounds despite cleaning it every 10,000 rounds or so.

It is, as I believe it was intended to be, an extremely dependable firearm that is easy to use and maintain.

Having said that, I'm going to go get my STI out of the safe and go to a match this morning :D:D:D

dj

I have an opinion on Glocks. They suck! Inaccurate(to date with my testing), odd ball grip angle, crappy poly what ever rifling, unsupported chamber(.40), short chambers and mags, piss poor factory triggers! What else? Crappy factory sights to boot. Good things, they are cheap, they run most of the time, standard cap mags are now cheap. I prefer 1911s but I have owned 2 Glocks, still have my 35. They are here to stay. Like them or not. :P TXAG :unsure:

Well, I shoot booth and actually the glock (34) never ever was reason for bad stage times, my 2011 made me lots bad times especially when shooting outdoors on hot dusty stages. But I love them booth, booth of them have some advantages and disadvantages.

But one thing is fact: glock is cheap, bullet proof, not necessary to clean lube and maintain all the time, just grab it and shoot.

the 2011 form my is more like expensive sports car which is very nice when it runs but therefore you have to maintain it all the time…

but that’s just opinion

cheers

Chris

I have an opinion on Glocks. They suck! Inaccurate(to date with my testing), odd ball grip angle, crappy poly what ever rifling, unsupported chamber(.40), short chambers and mags, piss poor factory triggers! What else? Crappy factory sights to boot. Good things, they are cheap, they run most of the time, standard cap mags are now cheap. I prefer 1911s but I have owned 2 Glocks, still have my 35. They are here to stay. Like them or not. :P TXAG :unsure:

I have owned a variety of Glocks and each and every one of them has been very accurate right out of the box. I did ditch the factory barrel on one of them just so I could shoot lead but otherwise they have all been great with the factory barrel.

As far as sights go I am glad they don't put more expensive sights on the guns. If they did I, and most other USPSA/IPSC shooters, would probably hate them anyway and "have" to replace them. Putting better sights on the gun would make it cost more up front in addition to what I would "have" to spend on sights that suite me.

Reliability has been outstanding except for an early rendition of the 34 that I owned. It sucked. It went to the gunshow never to return.

I did my own trigger on my Glock 35 and am very happy with it. On my 1911 I paid a gunsmith to do the trigger and it is better than anything I have ever felt on a Glock. It cost me $150 but it is nice.

My Glocks are great tools that do exactly what I want of them. My 1911 is more than that but since it only holds 8/10 rounds it gets saved for self defence and the occasional SS match.

-ld

Well, I shoot booth and actually the glock (34) never ever was reason for bad stage times, my 2011 made me lots bad times especially when shooting outdoors on hot dusty stages. But I love them booth, booth of them have some advantages and disadvantages.

But one thing is fact: glock is cheap, bullet proof, not necessary to clean lube and maintain all the time, just grab it and shoot.

the 2011 form my is more like expensive sports car which is very nice when it runs but therefore you have to maintain it all the time…

but that’s just opinion

cheers

Chris

Sounds like an issue with your particular 2011. Mine is just as reliable as my Glock.

From the Brownells Gunsmithing Newsletter (Spring, 2004)

"The 45 Auto is coming on strongly - again...It's really a far cry from when I was a kid, and Dad used to laugh that if you could get enough on a rope, they'd make a fine boat anchor - weren't worth more than that."