Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a 22/45

Wilson

If you're building a steel challenge rimfire gun, maybe you might want to look at the S&W M&P 22. It's one helluva a .22 service pistol clone, and utterly reliable.... decent trigger too.

• 1 month later...

I've decided on a 22/45. I've shot 1911's for so long, I prefer the 1911 grip frame.

Same reason I went with a 22/45 close to the 1911 feel.

22/45 is a great choice, here is my setup, and it works well for what I do with it...

• Base Model Ruger 22/45
  • Grip Panels sanded down and Hogue 1911 grips added. (I want some VZ grips eventually)
  • Tac Sol 6.5" fluted and threaded
  • Allchin Comp
  • C-More 8 MOA sight (I want a 12 just haven't done it)
  • 90 degree Taccom mount
  • Custom Slide Racker (some guy on Rimfire Central)
  • Volquartsen Trigger kit
  • Iron sights left on so I can pull the optic and goto Irons Division when I want to.
  • Grip tape in strategic locations

fe5723b1-30a1-47f2-8fdb-a9d6b8bf98d3_zps

I run a 22/45 lite as a starting point in both open and limited.

Volquertson trigger parts

Remove the mag safety

For limited I run a FO front site

In open I run the 90 Alchin mount

A comp

The slide racker from rimfire central

Dollar for dollar the lite is hard to beat

Retread

I've decided on a 22/45. I've shot 1911's for so long, I prefer the 1911 grip frame.

Same reason I went with a 22/45 close to the 1911 feel.

22/45 is a great choice, here is my setup, and it works well for what I do with it...

• Base Model Ruger 22/45
  • Grip Panels sanded down and Hogue 1911 grips added. (I want some VZ grips eventually)
  • Tac Sol 6.5" fluted and threaded
  • Allchin Comp
  • C-More 8 MOA sight (I want a 12 just haven't done it)
  • 90 degree Taccom mount
  • Custom Slide Racker (some guy on Rimfire Central)
  • Volquartsen Trigger kit
  • Iron sights left on so I can pull the optic and goto Irons Division when I want to.
  • Grip tape in strategic locations

fe5723b1-30a1-47f2-8fdb-a9d6b8bf98d3_zps

if you like thick grips for the 22/45, check out the Strike Industries .295" thickness grips.

I added them to mine and they get rid of that "skinny frame" feeling. Also, they're not expensive and look cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be building a 22/45 lite starting next week for my son.

Here is what I plan to do:

Remove mag safety

Install Volquartsen Mark II trigger kit and bushing

Install Bear Cave 90 degree for C'more (and C'more)

Install TACCOM comp (go figure)

Install rubber grip panels

Install extended mag bases

Probably design and install some sort of ultra light bolt grabber thingy....delrin of course.

Really don't have to worry about the other controls....if you have to reload, you've done something wrong

Tim

I realize that all this comp talk is mostly subjective, but in my experiments with a GSG 1911 I video recorded shooting the gun stock and then with the comp and there is a very noticable differance with the comp. I also did plate rack runs (several, for average of time, splits, and accuracy) with and without and the "comped" times average faster and more accurate. Same effect with the GSG my shooting buddy's wife shoots - with and without the comp. Just my .02...

My 17yo son.....Matt, pretty fair Ruger Rimfire shooter. I changed comps on his pistol this summer, and noticed it....RIGHT A WAY!!!

Actually ended up helping my develop the comps I offer now.....once his speed came back, we knew that we had the right set up.

Tim

Matt is an accomplished Ruger Rimfire competitior, has placed high at the World matches and at the Regional matches. He is usually high Junior and kicks a lot of old guy asses as well. If Tim is offering a comp that is an improvement then I for one will try it. I am really happy with my Allchin comp but am always willing to try something better.

We all need new toys, right.... :cheers:

DougC

Thanks Doug......get in touch with me some time, we'll get one to ya.

FYI....Matt has shot his last match as a junior.....turning 18 in December. Never really cared about the junior title....was always more interested in how he compared to Dwight and Barry.

Of course, Dad always cared about the junior title......go figure.

Edited by TRUBL

Don't mean to hijack the thread and I'm sure I won't make it to the top of the game but I'm just curious. What is a good "type" of gun to have for rimfire steel ? Front heavy ? balance a little forward of the grip, rear heavy ? I shoot a Ruger Mark II Government model slab side with 6 7/8" barrel and I have fun. Will a polymer framed gun (22/45) make a noticeable difference ? I have borrowed the 22/45 lite at a shoot and it did feel better. Didn't shoot it long enough to compare, just had fun shooting the new/different setup. I'm not going to just go out and get a lite and dump the Mk2 but I just want to know what you all feel/know.

Don't mean to hijack the thread and I'm sure I won't make it to the top of the game but I'm just curious. What is a good "type" of gun to have for rimfire steel ? Front heavy ? balance a little forward of the grip, rear heavy ? I shoot a Ruger Mark II Government model slab side with 6 7/8" barrel and I have fun. Will a polymer framed gun (22/45) make a noticeable difference ? I have borrowed the 22/45 lite at a shoot and it did feel better. Didn't shoot it long enough to compare, just had fun shooting the new/different setup. I'm not going to just go out and get a lite and dump the Mk2 but I just want to know what you all feel/know.

Everyone is different when it comes to what type of gun shoots the best/fastest for rimfire steel. My personal opinion is that the gun should be as light as reasonably possible. A heavy gun is slightly slower on each transition and is harder to stop on target than a lighter gun. But we are talking at most a tenth of a second. (that's a guess here. haven't actually measured the difference) The top shooters can't afford to give up even a few hundredths per transition. Also a light barreled gun recoils faster (and therefore recovers faster) than a heavy barreled gun. My steel gun balances directly on the middle finger of my shooting hand but again that is a personal call. My suggestion is to continue having fun with what you have until you feel the gun is holding you back. Keep driving it hard. When you can no longer improve your times, it maybe time to switch. Spend your money on ammo for now, that is , if you can find any at a reasonable price.

Good Shooting

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Stearns

I'll answer to both halves of my statement since I'm not sure which part you question. A light gun will recoil with more velocity than a heavy gun. That is consistent with the laws of physics. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Now once a gun has completed it's rearward and upward recoil, inertia must be overcome to return the gun to point of aim. Because of the increased mass of the front of the heavier gun (barrel), the return to POA will be slower. It's something you can actually see if you watch a light barreled .22 and a heavy barreled .22 shot by the same person. Recoil and return from recoil will be faster for the light gun compared to the heavy gun.

I'm sure there are some physics majors out there that can explain it better than I can (and some really good ones that may be able to "prove" otherwise but those are the ones that can prove that a bumblebee can't fly).

Shoot safe

Dwight

• 4 months later...

Finished Matt's new 22blaster today......

22/45 LITE

CMORE sight

Bear Cave 90 degree mount

Volquarsen Mark II trigger kit and bushing

TACCOM .920 comp

Custom racker (on the left side)

Custom Base pads (delrin)

I also cut the mag well off by 1/16" so that that mags really stick out.....total weight is 28oz. It is 5 ounces less than the one in the middle which was Matt's gun last year. Your's truely is gonna run it this year.

post-2749-0-98180300-1394073543_thumb.jp

It's gonna be fast!!

• 8 months later...

I'm all about a 22 top end on the race gun. Same feel, better practice.

Thats what BJ told me for years until this year when he found that a Ruger Mk III points about 10% quicker than any other rimfire pistol he has used previously. Something to do with the Luger grip angle I think. And while he used a 1911 as the basis foir his rimfire gun while he was a member ofr the S&W team he used a lighter Scandium framed S&W 1911 as the basis and not his open racegun. And remember those TacSol double stack .22 mags cost $100 each and you will need at least 5 of them if you can find that many. Most places seem to be out of them and a lot of those TS 1911 conversions kits are on closeouts at various places I have looked at. Not sure if that means they might be phasing them out or what.

Finished Matt's new 22blaster today......

22/45 LITE

CMORE sight

Bear Cave 90 degree mount

Volquarsen Mark II trigger kit and bushing

TACCOM .920 comp

Custom racker (on the left side)

Custom Base pads (delrin)

I also cut the mag well off by 1/16" so that that mags really stick out.....total weight is 28oz. It is 5 ounces less than the one in the middle which was Matt's gun last year. Your's truely is gonna run it this year.

attachicon.gif22blasters.jpg

It's gonna be fast!!

Tim, my race Buckmark weighs in at 27 oz. Might even be lower now as I went from TS alloy grips to Hogue G10 ones just recently.