Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder OK to stay in Reloader?

salemsm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew my weights and measures by the time I completed 8th grade. I'm beginning to think they no longer teach this stuff! :surprise:

I was taught the units of weight are; ton, pound, ounce, dram, scruple and grain.

Liquid units of measure? gallon, quart, pint, gill, fluidounce, fluidram and minim.

Length? mile, rod, yard, foot and inch.

I'm not even going to mention cubic units of measurements.

QUIZ:

1. What is the volume of a 9mm case, half full of smokeless powder?

2. What is the volume of a can of Busch's baked beans?

I'll give you a hint . . . you can not find the answer without using weights and measures :P

I knew my weights and measures by the time I completed 8th grade. I'm beginning to think they no longer teach this stuff! :surprise:

I was taught the units of weight are; ton, pound, ounce, dram, scruple and grain.

Liquid units of measure? gallon, quart, pint, gill, fluidounce, fluidram and minim.

Here on earth we also use cc's. They are just another way to express 'liquid' units of measure (which are actually volume, btw).

But it won't offend me if you prefer to continue being wrong. :cheers:

Edited by motosapiens

Here on earth we also use cc's. They are just another way to express 'liquid' units of measure (which are actually volume, btw).

But it won't offend me if you prefer to continue being wrong.

What?! You live here on earth too? Who know!

You are exactly right! Cubic centimeters are a unit of measure, and can be used to determine volume. Therefore, you have just proved volume is not a unit of measure but, the sum of that calculation!

Now, that sum is in what form; volumes of cubic centimeters?

What if we determine volume by weight?. Is the sum in grains or volumes?

:cheers:

Edited by Reshoot

English..... do you speak it?

You can't determine volume by weight. Weight is not a unit of measure. lulz.

All righty then. I no longer have use for my GEMPRO-250 scale. Weight, not being a unit of measure, is completely useless. What I need is a volumeometer.

Excuse me, while I make some calls :roflol:

English..... do you speak it?

You can't determine volume by weight. Weight is not a unit of measure. lulz.

All righty then. I no longer have use for my GEMPRO-250 scale. Weight, not being a unit of measure, is completely useless. What I need is a volumeometer.

Excuse me, while I make some calls :roflol:

there are lots of good ways of measuring volume, just like there are scales for measuring weight. Of course neither weight nor volume is a unit of measure, but that doesn't mean you can't measure powder either by weight or by volume, using units of measure appropriate for that method (like grains, or cc's).

#1 - One half the volume of an empty 9mm case !

#2 - Exactly enough to hold the amount of "Bush's" baked beans designated for that can !

:roflol:

Nope.

1) The volume of a 9mm case half full of powder is same volume as one without any powder or one full of powder. The voume of the CASE does not change.

2) The volume of the can is not exactly the volume to hold the amount designated, it is AT LEAST that much and is actually slightly more, so they can fill the can and put the lid on without spilling the beans or sauce. Watch "How Its Made" sometime.

#1 - One half the volume of an empty 9mm case !

#2 - Exactly enough to hold the amount of "Bush's" baked beans designated for that can !

:roflol:

Nope.

1) The volume of a 9mm case half full of powder is same volume as one without any powder or one full of powder. The voume of the CASE does not change.

2) The volume of the can is not exactly the volume to hold the amount designated, it is AT LEAST that much and is actually slightly more, so they can fill the can and put the lid on without spilling the beans or sauce. Watch "How Its Made" sometime.

:bow:

Funny thing I just had this conversation last weekend when a guy told me about his Lee melting the hopper from powder left in it, Lee gave him a bunch of greif about it after saying you arent supposed to do that but eventually sent him a new one. I dont know if it was due to a specific type of powder combined with lee being a cheap brand (there were also a couple ppl with dillon loaders that said they leave it in reguarly with no problems) or what, but there you go.

After looking around on the internet my understanding is that 9 out of 10 times you are probably fine. Apparently the times it does happen ppl seem to have double base powders in them. Here is a couple examples I found:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=350300

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-653674.html

From what I gleaned it most likely has to do with the type of power and its age or perhaps higher humidity.

Edited by TheDude27

I recently had a squib at our monthly IPSC match. I had not loaded any ammo on that particular progressive reloader for quite some time, and had left the powder in the measure for at least a year. It didn't affect the plastic, so I didn't worry about it. I was using Bullseye powder. Upon emptying the powder measure to investigate the possible cause, I found a layer of compressed powder at the bottom, with a tiny hole over the charge bar. I believe vibration from past use, and passage of time caused this condition. The remaining 50 rounds left from that last batch of ammo are suspect, and will be used for practice only. Turning the measure upside down and shaking it did not dislodge the compressed powder. Tapping the measure on the table did, and the powder reverted to it's normal state. After this incident, I will regularly empty the powder measure.

Edited by GBertolet

Titegroup melted the plastic of my hopper in under a month.

+1, it turned the plastic dark on one of mine, I can still see the powder level if there is light behind it.

That's the only reason I empty. I bought my press used and you could barely see through either of the measures so I empty if Im not going to load within the next few days. It's only $10 but when you have 6 measure its a hassle.

Used to remove the powder after each use... but now I keep it in. I reload from 100-300 per session when I have a break. The powder doesn't stay in the hopper for more than a couple weeks at a time tops. It is a very good idea to clean your powder drop once in a while though for sure!