Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone playing by the new rules yet, and your thoughts so far?

ihocky2

I've shot two matches under the new rules in the last two weeks and have not noticed a drastic change in anything, but there have definitely been good and bad points.

Even though round dumping is now allowed I have not gone crazy burning rounds all over the place just because I can. But in my match last night I can say for the first time "I dumped a round in IDPA". No more "Make up shots that I thought were bad hits". I put a round into a plastic barrel and saw the barrel move so I made up that shot, but left me with one round left. So instead of moving to the next point and taking 1 shot and having to reload or screwing up my target sequence at the next position I just sent an extra one down range to take the reload.

Within two matches though, I already miss the no reloads on the move. I was shooting revolver last night and had a few places that I could have done an emergency reload behind cover while moving. But there I stood, taking a standing reload to my dismay.

I don't know how much of a difference there has been in cover calls. Most of the SO's I shoot with a lot are tight on cover to start with, so I watch my cover pretty tight to start with. I have learned already though, dieting forces you to buy new gear. My holster would have passed the dowel test a few months ago, now I can fit a 1" dowel in without touching. Time to change the attachment device on my holster to bring it back closer to the body.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a local club MD, this makes me mad. :angry2:

IMHO if the MD is inforcing the new rules which are not effective until 1 Oct, they are in violation of the current rule book and basically running an outlaw match. These are not IDPA rules until 1 Oct. This is just as bad as runing a match on 1 Oct under the old rules. It is a good idea to discuss how things would be differnt under the new rules but to enforce them is wrong.

Flame me if you want, but I don't like it and I think it further's the impression IDPA officals just make up / pick and chose rules to enforce any old way they want.

I'm glad to hear you are looking at your gear to make sure you are legal come 1 Oct. If you want to do flat footed relaods to practice the new rules that's fine but its wrong to enforce that rule until 1 Oct.

Flame away...

My local club started running by the new rulebook last week.

Definitely not feeling the reload rule. Haven't noticed any difference in the cover calls but I already ate a PE for reloading while advancing behind cover.

IMHO if the MD is inforcing the new rules which are not effective until 1 Oct, they are in violation of the current rule book and basically running an outlaw match. These are not IDPA rules until 1 Oct. This is just as bad as runing a match on 1 Oct under the old rules. It is a good idea to discuss how things would be differnt under the new rules but to enforce them is wrong.

Flame me if you want, but I don't like it and I think it further's the impression IDPA officals just make up / pick and chose rules to enforce any old way they want.

I'm glad to hear you are looking at your gear to make sure you are legal come 1 Oct. If you want to do flat footed relaods to practice the new rules that's fine but its wrong to enforce that rule until 1 Oct.

Flame away...

Not going to flame, no point in that. But IDPA HQ has already said that clubs may begin using the new rules early. Why not get used to something that is coming anyway. Otherwise it would be like dropping the speed limit from 55 on the highway to 40 with no warning or grace period.

Flame away...

Not going to flame, no point in that. But IDPA HQ has already said that clubs may begin using the new rules early. Why not get used to something that is coming anyway. Otherwise it would be like dropping the speed limit from 55 on the highway to 40 with no warning or grace period.

Did not notice that instruction anywhere.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

Flame away...

Did notice that instruction anywhere.

Yeah, when did HQ say this? Was is on the super easy to navigate IDPA website? If so, I must've missed it. Shocking, huh?

Flame away...

Great analogy going from 55 to 40 without a warning, we need to slooooooow doooooown we're shooting to fast so stand still and make that reload. I'm done....

Realistically the biggest change I've seen from the new rules is the amount of SO's that have said they will not recertify because of the inclusion that SO's are responsible for safety. A lot do not want to put themselves at risk for liability. The risk was there before, but this just put the bullseye right on the back of the SO's.

Realistically the biggest change I've seen from the new rules is the amount of SO's that have said they will not recertify because of the inclusion that SO's are responsible for safety. A lot do not want to put themselves at risk for liability. The risk was there before, but this just put the bullseye right on the back of the SO's.

So you mean when someone is certified as a Safety Officer that does not mean they are just a "Match Observer" and the word Safety actually implies something... hmmm.... [sarcasm]

You mean HQ said clubs may NOT begins using the new rules early. You're off 180°.

I think a lot of people are making a big deal over nothing....

I am shooting a revolver and overall I *like* being able to reload "on the way TO cover"... Too many people are looking at the "negatives" instead of the positives.... If you plan it correctly AND the stages are designed per the rules, a flat footed reload overall should be the exception and not the rule.

I have seen so much fuss about the "flat footed part" that it seems like people are flat out ignoring the "reload on the way to cover" part....

As for safety officers being responsible for safety... o.O um yeah... isn't that what they are there for even under the old rules? Also the range commands changed to say "IF CLEAR" and several other things that put some of the safety burden back on the shooter.

I am shooting a revolver and overall I *like* being able to reload "on the way TO cover"... Too many people are looking at the "negatives" instead of the positives.... If you plan it correctly AND the stages are designed per the rules, a flat footed reload overall should be the exception and not the rule.

I have seen so much fuss about the "flat footed part" that it seems like people are flat out ignoring the "reload on the way to cover" part....

As for safety officers being responsible for safety... o.O um yeah... isn't that what they are there for even under the old rules? Also the range commands changed to say "IF CLEAR" and several other things that put some of the safety burden back on the shooter.

When does a shooter every use all 11 rounds before getting to cover? Never.

I can't find where I read that clubs could start using the rules early. Nothing on the website, but I am thinking it may have been in an email I have already deleted. I could be completely wrong as well.

Reloads on the way to cover mostly benefit the CDP shooters and especially revolvers. A 3 target array while moving to cover and a revolver is empty before getting to cover. And I have shot stages like that many places. Being a revolver shooter, I am a huge fan of that rule.

As for the safety officers, they have always been in charges of safety. But the way it is now stated, the rule book almost squarely places all responsibility on them. If a shooter draws and puts a round through his leg before the SO could utter the word "Finger", the new wording makes it that the SO is at fault for not stopping it. I referee ice hockey and we work as independent contractors, so if someone gets hurt we could easily be sued. But the rule book at least helps to protect us, it is worded that we are charged with "General supervision of the rules, conduct, and safety". It used to say that we were responsible for those things, but then it was realized that no matter what we do, we cannot do anything to actually PREVENT most rule infractions or injuries. As SO's some injuries we can prevent by controlling where a shooter points there muzzle. But if a shooter sweeps their arm and pulls the trigger, the time we take to process the situation and try to vocalize it is already too slow. No "Finger" or "Stop" command is going to stop the bullet in mid flight. But the wording makes it too easy for a lawyer to point to the rule book and say that the book even says the SO is responsible. To put the SO in charge of safety is one thing, but to place blame at their feet is another.

My local club started running by the new rulebook last week.

Definitely not feeling the reload rule. Haven't noticed any difference in the cover calls but I already ate a PE for reloading while advancing behind cover.

Yeah, we called 4 or 5 PE's Sunday at our match for reload violations.

Yeah, when did HQ say this? Was is on the super easy to navigate IDPA website? If so, I must've missed it. Shocking, huh?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't figure out the new website. Any time I need to enter a new classification I end up hunting all over the place for a link the used to be two click from the login page.

When does a shooter every use all 11 rounds before getting to cover? Never.

<joke> All they have to do is round dump ;-D