Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideas for magazine article

Brazos Custom

How about an article about things we should be doing to our blasters in the off-season to "tune them up" for next year?

i.e - checking extractor tension? mag springs? checking for wear? etc.

Bruce

Hi Bob I'm fairly new to USPSA and Front Sight, so if this has been used in a Front sight article recently then forget that I mentioned it. :) What I would like to see is a article or series of articles on some of the backup parts that we as competitor should keep in our range bags....such as an extractor and how to go about tuning a backup. The slide stop and how to fit it, and or any other parts that may go bad that can usually be replaced at a match.

Thanks

Steve

shipster,

Bob already did it. You'd be able to go back and read the article if USPSA would start putting back issues on-line.................oh never mind........this is USPSA we're talking about.

Bob,

How about an article on barrel fitting? Not that I want to do it, but I'd love to understand the process. Your articles are absolutely great, btw.

Bob, I am in the same boat as shipster and would love an article about day to day replacement parts that as a shooter I should have and be able to replace myself.

As to the other posts, I would also love it if you could condense all of your knowledge and secrets as well as your talent into a convenient series of three articles so we could then assist you in what would probably be a well deserved vacation. :P

Hi Bob,

How about:

1) how and why to tune magazines

2) proper cleaning and lubrication procedures for a 1911/2011 limited/open pistol

3) a guide to basic modifications: 2011 grip change, magwell change, etc.

Love the articles!

Thanks.

How about focusing on the changes to USPSA brought about by the sunset of the AWB? What changes you ask?

Well, the last 2 World Cahmpionships/ World Shoots were won by a Tanfoglio Race gun, the likes of which are less & less often seen in USPSA/ the United States. Sure there were a couple of "pre-ban" mags floating around but during the dark years of the ban, I never once saw Brownells sell "Genuine Tanfoglio Replacement Tubes for "High Capacity Mags". At the same time, there were scads of STI/SV mag parts. Now that has changed.

And what about Caspian? It was not the most inviting platform for a new shooter to build/buy an open gun with considering the lack of replacement parts.

I believe the AWB did little to harm STI or SV sales in the 2 "high capacity" divisions of USPSA: Open & Limited. The AWB about killed off new Open & Limited guns by Caspian, Tanfoglio, CZ & frankly, who knows what else might have developed into viable USPSA platforms due to the ban? For example, in 1997, CZ developed the .40 "Standard IPSC" - a purpose built single action w/ a long heavy dust-cover & a factory tuned 1.5 lb trigger. Only it used its own unique magazine that was banned from import (in more than 10 round format) into the USA prior to 9/13/2004. Never saw "replacement tubes/140mm parts" for sale here either. Hence, there was ZERO developement of this fine gun in USPSA.

Now I love my SV & STI, and for me right now, I think they are the very best for our sport. But I would rather have my faith in S_I confirmed by competition on a level playing field & not by some idiotic ban which only 2 companies (sv & sti) seemed to find a way around. Yes, yes, I know about those Glock tubes that popped up befor the ban, but they never were the equivalent to buying a "tuned" STI/SV mag body replacement tube.

So lets hear about Graufel's guns set up. And CZ's competition magazines. Or Glocks. Or HK; whatever, just something we COULD NOT easily have during the ban.

Bob, I am in the same boat as shipster and would love an article about day to day replacement parts that as a shooter I should have and be able to replace myself.

This is my vote also. I would like a real opinion about when to replace parts and what to sheck that is not from the standpoint of someone trying to sell me stuff.

Comp/Barrel fitting.

Differences between cone and bull barrel comps.

Magazine tuning.

On a side note. Could add all of your articles from Front Sight to the "Tips and Tricks" section of your website? Guys who want the old stuff could just look it up when needed. Tips and tricks are just as good as the articles.

Thanks a lot for all of the help you give to the sport.

Keep the ideas coming - I see two or three articles already!

On a side note. Could add all of your articles from Front Sight to the "Tips and Tricks" section of your website? Guys who want the old stuff could just look it up when needed. Tips and tricks are just as good as the articles.

We are working on that, should be up in a couple of days. Including the article on backup parts

How about:

"Stupid Customer Tricks: Things people do to screw up their guns that I get paid to fix."

"Stupid Manufacturer Tricks"

"Ten things hucksters sell to put on your gun that you avoid like Ebola"

"Bomars Gone Wild: How to prevent your your adjustable sights from lauching themselves into low earth orbit."

How about:

"Stupid Customer Tricks: Things people do to screw up their guns that I get paid to fix."

"Stupid Manufacturer Tricks"

"Ten things hucksters sell to put on your gun that you avoid like Ebola"

"Bomars Gone Wild: How to prevent your your adjustable sights from lauching themselves into low earth orbit."

EricW, by far some of your funniest material. This would be good reading for sure.

Bob,

How about the "most bang for the buck" enhancements you recommend for the box-stock competition pistol? You could compare fads to actual improvements, etc.

Simpla answer to this one: Don't allow Erik to bless your sights, don't shake his hand if you're talking about sights, don't let him anywhere near your Bo-Mar or Wilson sights.....

That's funny stuff......

Seems everybody wants to know whether they should build a gun heavy or light, short or long, bull or bushing/cone, barrel ports or comp chambers only, etc. How about explaining what you gain and lose with each "feature" in both Limited and Open guns.