Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideas for magazine article

Brazos Custom

Seems everybody wants to know whether they should build a gun heavy or light, short or long, bull or bushing/cone, barrel ports or comp chambers only, etc. How about explaining what you gain and lose with each "feature" in both Limited and Open guns.

Erik, believe it or not almost all of that has been covered in one article or another. I am going to make it a priority to get them all on the website.

I actually started writing the articles because I got tired of fixing (and getting phone calls about) a lot of the stuff that comes into the shop. I figured it was easier to teach everyone how to do it themselves. I spend most of my time now building complete guns which is really what I like to do the most.

Bob,

How about.................

1. Comp design and barrel length as it relates to the burn rate of fast and slow powders.

2. Step by step in fitting ambi thumb safeties.

3. How to check the effieciency of a comp.

4. Homebrew trigger job without actually screwing up the existing parts.

DaG

Another vote for comp design.

Number of chambers, "up" ports or radial ports, small side ports, size and shape thereof, progressive size or not, where diminishing returns kick in, effect of barrel length, powder speed, bullet weight, how many ports to use, what size, what spacing, etc etc etc.

Being a gadget freak, I think about this stuff all the time. But since I'm an economist and not a physicist, I'm sure that All I Think I Know Is Wrong :P

What about barrel porting and comp design ?

How many holes, where, what size, what angle and so on...

I'd also like something about mag tuning.

Selecting the right parts, make them work together...

A topic on slide lightening would be cool too.

Hey Bob, seems that you will have looooots of work for us ;)

A lot of guys are debating whether to build or convert their open guns to 9 major. Some of us with 9's are pulling our hair out over ejection and feeding problems. It would be great to have a column that compares the 9 to .38 super. The column could also include potential problems with the 9 and some solutions (e.g., ejection, magazines, extractors, possible differences in extractor tension between a 9mm and .38 super, etc.), and the best comp (or at least what to look for in a 9mm comp). It could also include mag modifications for the 9mm and some suggestions for slide lightening in the 9mm compared to the .38 super.

The column(s) would accomplish two things: (1) help people decide whether it's worth going to a 9mm, and (2) help those of us with 9's to resolve some problems.