Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 5906

Steve Moneypenny

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been my experience that S&W pistols have a difficult DA trigger and there isn't much a 'smith can do to them. On occassion I shoot a Beretta 92 Elite in USPSA Production Division and my 'smith was able to get the DA trigger very smooth and light, while the SA let off is beautiful.

I have a S&W 5904 which is the lightweight, blued version of the 59XX series.

The trigger reset is indeed a strength. I don't know of any double action pistol with a shorter trigger reset, and it's probably shorter than some single action guns.

The double action on mine and others I've handled has been as good if not better than any others I've tried. The single action isn't as nice as my former SiG Sauer P226, but the double action is definitely better.

Double action only S&W guns have really, REALLY nice double action triggers (and not as long of a pull as the standard S&W double action).

Another key feature is that the S&W double stack guns have a grip and trigger reach that is more amenable to people with stubby fingers (like moi) than most other double stack 9mm double action guns. My BDM is the only one that is easier for me to reach the trigger, but the S&W trigger is so much better in every respect that when I go back to shooting Production, I will use it instead of the BDM.

As to why more people don't use them? Good question! I think a lot of people don't realize how well they shoot. I think some people read about them here and other places, but choose to disbelieve it. I think a lot of people don't realize that you could get a used 5906 in great shape for a very modest price because of all of the police trade-ins.

There's no good reason not to shoot one. Especially now, since they're just dirt cheap. You can buy them for under $300 all day long out of SG news. The DAO guns are especially nice in that they have very short triggers. The only downside is coughing up $35 for a magazine. Finding a holster may be a challenge too, but the smith auto platform would be a top choice for bringing in a new shooter on a tight budget.

Mec-Gar mags should be availabe soon (in standard capacity) at their reasonable prices. Used S&W brand are usually pretty reasonable too.

Uncle Mike's Kydex has one for the 59XX series and it fits both hooked and round trigger guard versions. It's what I use for my 5904 with a hooked trigger guard.

All of the small shops make 'em too.

Uncle Mike's Kydex has one for the 59XX series and it fits both hooked and round trigger guard versions. It's what I use for my 5904 with a hooked trigger guard.

All of the small shops make 'em too.

Just be aware that if you buy one of the value line guns (910, 915) that any kydex holsters will require dremeling, as the slide geometry is slightly different from the 590x series......

Something else to like about the Smith autos: There are straight and arched (main spring housing equivalent) grips available from the manufacturer.....

The reason is because there are no sponsored shooters to my knowledge. Rob Haught shot for them the first year or 2 of IDPA and then he went to Beretta. All S&W sponsored shooters shoot some other gun. Look at what happened when Earnest Langdon won CDP shooting a Sig 220. Everybody was buying Sig's like it would make them a better shooter. :P

Steve, BillG has one that he might let you shoot. Ask him when you see him.

I think they sit too high in my hand. They just feel funny after shooting Glocks. :lol:

Bill Nesbitt

Hold on, Patrick Sweeney took some pics of John's Production gun at this years Nationals. I'm sure his article will include it. John is using a Performance Center 5906 longslide with absolutely the best DA/SA trigger I've ever felt. I predict it will quickly become one of the top Production class options very soon. I was so impressed I dragged Flexmoney over to check it out.

Flex, any opinions?

Erik

I never really understood why they weren't more common. In Production Div., you'd shoot a gun with a better trigger than the 1911 SA (except for the first shot). But I think (Eric???) the PC 5906s are very expensive.

Isn't John Flentz on this forum? If not, someone tell him he should be...

--Detlef

Hold on, Patrick Sweeney took some pics of John's Production gun at this years Nationals. I'm sure his article will include it. John is using a Performance Center 5906 longslide with absolutely the best DA/SA trigger I've ever felt. I predict it will quickly become one of the top Production class options very soon. I was so impressed I dragged Flexmoney over to check it out.

Flex, any opinions?

Erik

I thought it was pretty nice. Well fit. Trigger felt nice. Seemed like a minor load wouldn't hardly be felt.

But I think (Eric???) the PC 5906s are very expensive.

But, who really needs a Performance Center 5906? They're pretty decent blasters out of the box. :)

I'm looking at a police trade-in 5906 in SG News for $299 w/ one 15 rd mag. (Extra mags are $40!!! :o) At that price, you could buy 3 or 4 and mix and match parts until you had a rock-solid fit. All that really needs to be fixed on the S&W's really is some minor trigger work and possibly tightening up the barrel lockup and *maybe* some accu-rails if the slide is super-sloppy.

The mag releases are things of beauty, the magwell is built-in, there's a nice beavertail, a rock-solid sighting system (novak). The S&W 3rd gen guns are hard not to like. It makes me want to shoot my 4506 in Production just for giggles.

The one unsung hero in the S&W lineup is the old 645, which is a very natural pointing gun with the arched grip. If there were 10 round mags to be had for it, I would own one right now.

For someone who's a new shooter or just plain new to Production, the current glut of S&W autos is a real opportunity.

(KY Imports: 1-800-718-3643 is the one with the 5906's)

Seemed like a minor load wouldn't hardly be felt.

And that's a good thing, Flex? ;):P

LOL...I don't know. People seem to like those softies. :)

I took a look on gunbroker.com, seems mags might be had in the 3 for $50 range. Are they the right mags?

Just a thought i'd kind of like to be sponsored by a gun company...... u know adding to the list, just seeing what guns are viable alternatives, i doubt GLOCK will add me since they have sevigny. and beretta ... well i asked quite a while ago, and was quickly told unless i was in the midwest or west coast "no" and that was when the team consisted of only Rob Haught.

if anyone has any line on a great production gun with a company hehehe :-)

I believe the main reason you don't see more of them is quite frankly there not cool.

its cool to shoot a sig or a glock. but a smith is kind of plain, its like eating spam when very one else has steak.

but having said that, I think alot of people base their opinons on the 1st and 2nd generation guns which were junk. S&W spent a ton of money improving them into the 3rd gen. guns. my ipsc gun for about 5 years was a sig 226, loved the gun, I thought the smiths were junk. I got issued a 5906, and after a couple of months, I found I like the smith alot more than the sig, started competing with the smith, sold the sig.

the smith may not be cool, but it's the best double action pistol I've found.

oh yea, if the mag disconnects bothers you, it's removeable.

Understand there is a difference between what John is using and the 5906 police turn-in guns. John's is the Performance Center 5" gun. You can see a pic of it on the S&W website. The gun is intended for PPC competition and is only listed with a single action trigger, but you can get them with the DA/SA. There is no comparison. I wouldn't waste my time with an off the shelf 5906. It's about dead last on my list of potential Production class guns.

Erik

John can do a trigger job on the S&W (the trigger on his 5906 is very nice) and were I shooting Production mine would go to him. The 910 S&W sent me (which is staying here) is a tack-driver. Give it a trigger like John's, and I'd be ready to go.

In a sport where sometimes cool is king, the S&W has a very pedestrian rep.