Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you fill your Moonclips?

635 PCSO

I finally found a 625 and I am looking for the most efficient way to load my moon clips and strip them. What tools do you guys use?

Also, what moon clips do you prefer for the 625?

Try the RIMZ no tools required to load or unload. great for speedshooting IDPA etc or just target shooting.

http://www.beckhamdesign.com/html/speedloaders.html

I use a piece of pipe with an inside diameter of about 1/2 inch with a notch sticking out the end so I simply twist them out. As far as the moonclips I just use the cheap ones for now so I can have more. To load them I just push them in with my thumbs, you can use pliers if they're hard. I have heard of the RIMZ, but of yet haven't seen them for sale in my area. But that is another option open. Missed you at the ICORE Postal Match in Tulsa. It was a small turnout. rdd

Get yer paws on a dillon catalogue and you'll see that they have a few ways to go about loading and unloading yer moonpies...I mean...er...clips. I have had great success with their products. One word of advice...get the "Super Demooner" not the regular one. It is far more durable!!!

Cheers,

Jeff

If you're looking for a tool to set your clips, try www.moonsetter.net. Its made by a shooter (a damn good Bianchi shooter and really cool guy). They seemed to be very popular at the IRC as he tells me.

As far as getting them out, I use the Brownells tool that looks like screwdriver. Empty cases fall down the pipe so it is easy to dump them into your bag, or box.

I think the last set of clips I bought were at Dillon. They had the best deals as far as #/$.

For filling the moon clips I use This tool:

standard.jpg

The end is used for removing cases.

The moon setter is also a very good tool.

As for Moon Clips, you will not beat the Ranch Product price per 100. Last order I placed for 610 clips was $50 per 100 and last order for 625 clips was $25 per hundred. All well made spring steel clips.

Ranch Products is http://ranchproducts.com/index.html and they are excellent to do business with.

Regards,

I use a piece of pipe with an inside diameter of about 1/2 inch with a notch sticking out the end so I simply twist them out. As far as the moonclips I just use the cheap ones for now so I can have more. To load them I just push them in with my thumbs, you can use pliers if they're hard. I have heard of the RIMZ, but of yet haven't seen them for sale in my area. But that is another option open. Missed you at the ICORE Postal Match in Tulsa. It was a small turnout. rdd

Use the link posted earlier to contact Beckham Design. I believe they are still sending out demo clips. Most mail order houses carry them or just order directly from the designer. You'll love not having to use any tools plus they are priced right.

I use California Competition Work's tools. The remooner for load. It can load 2 rds per squeese. And the demooner tool for off the brass. My demooner just cracked last week. :( I may look for the super demooner which made from alloy instead of polymer. All tools available from Dillon and Brownells.

When is the next ICORE match? Ill be there for sure. The Office has been keeping me busy but I am ready to shoot. I have to order some miculek grips for the n frame, get the moonclips and I am set.

Will all the standard moonclip holders hold the RIMZ moonclips?

I am also looking into the fiber optics sights offered for the S&W's what is the most preferred?

When is the next ICORE match? Ill be there for sure. The Office has been keeping me busy but I am ready to shoot. I have to order some miculek grips for the n frame, get the moonclips and I am set.

Will all the standard moonclip holders hold the RIMZ moonclips?

I am also looking into the fiber optics sights offered for the S&W's what is the most preferred?

Standard moonclip holders will work fine for the RIMZ. Some shooters use a belt sander to take down the fins about half way but it isn't necessary.

Front sights are a very personal thing from what I see the gold bead up front seems to be one of the most popular.

Hey guys,

just a question. Are the 625 moonclips that much harder to load/unload than the 610? I have a 610 and have been looking for a good 625. If they are harder to load/unload would not be a factor in buying it, but I'm just curious.

thanks

dj

Hey guys,

just a question. Are the 625 moonclips that much harder to load/unload than the 610? I have a 610 and have been looking for a good 625. If they are harder to load/unload would not be a factor in buying it, but I'm just curious.

thanks

dj

With the moon clips I use, there is a big difference between my 610 and my 625.

Regards,

Hey guys,

thanks

dj

I've never loaded or unloaded a steel 610 moonclip so I can't compare them for you. I am familiar with both in the RIMZ product line. IMO the RIMZ 610 is still the most perfect clip in thier lineup. I say perfect because if it were any stiffer you would need tools to load and unload it. Guess it's just the realtionship of the hole size to the material around it. As far as 625 clips go I've been using their RIMZ 25 clip in my 625-8 model. It is as close as possible to the stiffness of the 610 clip that you can get. If you were just going to do casual target shoting I'd suggest the 625 clip.

For steel clips I'd suggest getting high quality clips as the cheaper ones seem to get out of round easily and require replacement. What seems to be cheaper up front usually is more expensive in the long, run but it really depends on the volume and style of shooting you do. I've also found the tools that help you use steel clips can actually wear them out or bend the clips faster if not used correctly. Dillon or TK Custom will usually have all that you will need for steel and TKC carries the RIMZ stuff as well.

I've been using Ranch Products moon clips in my 610. I was told that they are the OEM for S&W and I have no reason to doubt this as they are identical to the clips that came with the gun. I have zero complaints so far. The only problem I've had is after stepping on one after ejecting it in practice and bending it badly. They're cheap enough that I threw it away.

For demooning, I use a tool I bought from Brownell's that is the same as Bubber mentioned. It will hold 6 rds loaded or unloaded. I load them with my thumb. A few seconds per clip to either load or unload.

As far as the Moons go in the 625, the stainless load harder in my experience, and as long as you dont have .45 brass that has been loaded over 10+ times they should snap in relatively easy. Remember, if it is hard to get them in the clip, it will be harder to get them out. That is why I use both a demooner and a tube type from Brownells. 10mm/.40 clips are easier to load with most all brass. The big pain in the butt I have found is the 7 shot moonclips for 686+ and the 38 super clips. I broke down and bought a moon setter for the super. Makes life easier! Hope this helps, DougC

I just unrapped the MOON CLIP STRIPPER from Brownells for my 610 .40 and tested it; it works extremely well - it removes spent cartridges with a twist and holds all 6 of them in its tube. then you just dump them in the bag without them flying all around. I recommend it.

FRANCO

• 11 months later...

Up till a few weeks ago I was using a moonsetter tool but unfortunately it broke just beside where the loaded round sits.

I did a search and found the moonsetter webpage.

I sent a email asking if I could buy a replacement part for it but so far no reply.

They are pretty expensive and I wont buy another but would buy a replacment part at a reasonable price.

al