Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3gun shotgun

fireman489

Versa-Max (my personal choice), Benelli M2, FNH SLP Mk1.

They all have some some things that might move one or the other to the top of the list. There are LOTS of threads here on which one.

I started off with the FN SLP, it worked well for a couple of years, and then I started having issues with it. Then I bought a Benelli M2, the recoil is harsher on it, but it is more reliable. Reliability was more important to me than recoil. So the M2 is what I'm still running.

VersaMax: Runs about everything. In the Tactical configuration, some issues with feeding from 10+ round tubes and slug accuracy (due to clamp), of course fixed by running a VersaTube, then very accurate. US Made. Minimal maintenance.

M2: Lighter, very reliable, more recoil. Probably need to look at 922R compliance and add some parts to add a tube. Minimal maintenance.

SLP: Very well built, takes maybe 500 to 1000 rounds to get broken in. Does require more maintenance and is more load finicky than a VM. The fastest cycling so outrunning the trigger (of no concern to 99% of the shooters) does not happen. US Made.

All three can be made to be 100% reliable, and some gunsmith mods make them less reliable, and accurate with slugs.

Buy a Versamax Tactical and then send it to Triangle Shooting Sports and have them open up the load port and weld the lifter. Add a +2 cap and you're ready to run. Later you might want to add the Carbon Arms one piece magazine tube, I did and it is very nice, but not a mandatory upgrade.

+1 for the versamax. Holds an extra round over the M2, loading port is much larger than the M2, shoots softer, and extremely reliable with the soft loads. Cost less than M2. Best bang for the buck.

I really like the reliability and ease of cleaning on the M2

I really like the reliability of the Versamax, and as for ease of cleaning, I shot my first one for 9 months and never cleaned it. Doesn't get any easier than that!

I really like Benelli, but the 1301 I shot a bunch sure seemed nice. It isn't a proven system like the M2, but I'm sure it wont be bad. At the World shotgun championships we were squared with the Italian team and many of them had 1301s. I never saw one malfunction or break. Looking good so far. I got to shoot about 300 rounds through them and it worked just fine. If they have a good price point it may certainly be worth a look.

The new Beretta 1301 might be the ticket. I can't wait to try one out as I have been a huge Beretta shotgun fan for many years.

I'm in the same boat. I love my 391 Teknys! I think it might be the softest shooting shotgun ever, of coarse it's pretty heavy with all the mercury in it. Something similar but with an extended tube would be awesome.