Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Gunsmith Choices

Why1504

Yesterday I ordered a Benelli M2. Initially I had planned to send it to Benny Hill at Triangle. Today during our USPSA match I was advised to send it to Taran Butler at Taran Tactical.

Can you guys identify the differences between the products these two Gunsmiths produce.

Thanks!!

Mike Cyrwus at Accurate Iron is one to consider

His work is awesome! My Benelli M2 is a 3Gun Monster! Just wish I was as good as that shotgun :)

Butler and Hill are both great smiffs too but I can only speak for Cyrwus' quality as its the only work i have experience with.

Im very happy with my M2. With his reliability work, I havent had a single malfunction with any load.

He opens the port just enough for lighting fast reloads but you will still be able to pass the shotgun on to your kids and grandkids.

The cost of my M2+AI work came to less than $1500

What are the differences in what they do?

Do all of these smiths do the same thing to each gun?

Why is one smith better than another?

How about customer service?

How long did they keep your gun?

Opinions vary on welding up the loading gate, did you have this done? Have you had any problems as a result of the welded load gate?

Edited by Why1504

welding up the lifter is a must. The most common problem when welding up the lifter is the shell catching on the sharp edge of the chamber. Mike eliminates that by smoothing out and polishing the chamber out. so no, there have been zero issues resulting from the work done.

Turn around time depends on busy he(they) is(are). My rifle was done and back in my hands in a month.

Edited by Tacticalk9

I have no experience with taran tactical. However I tried very hard about a year ago to send my glock to AI, and had lots of trouble reaching them. Recently I sent my M2 to triangle shooting sports to have the load port opened. Communication and turn-around was top notch.

My vote is mr. Hill at triangle shooting sports.

I do Benelli mods, but do not consider myself a "gunsmith", I do not believe Taran actually does the mods either, rather he has a shop and someone else does the work. Benny and Mike Cyrwus are "gunsmiths" and do good work, Benny still does some work but has shop help as well, Cyrwus is a one man shop and does all his own work. If I am wrong about Taran, then I'll apologize for the oversight and misinfo now!! but I don't believe I am.

trapr

I got a fully tricked out m2 from Taran because he had them in stock. I got it last week and shot it this weekend at the Colt 3man. It ran like a champ. I RO'd the match so I got to handle a lot of other people's work. Hands down, the Taran model is awesome and I am trying to not be biased.

I got a fully tricked out m2 from Taran because he had them in stock. I got it last week and shot it this weekend at the Colt 3man. It ran like a champ. I RO'd the match so I got to handle a lot of other people's work. Hands down, the Taran model is awesome and I am trying to not be biased.

Is the difference workmanship? Different mods? Higher reliability?

Here's a very in depth review I did of my Rose Action Sports M2. I would give Steve a call I think he'll beat the others you listed on price and turn around time. All of the 'smiths mentioned do top notch work so no worrying about quality no matter who you choose.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=164223&hl=%2Bras

I think mods and reliability were probably the same but the craftsmanship from Taran is leap years ahead of the others. The bolt from Taran is amazing.

I would sum it up as putting Italian craftsmanship on a Ferrari or putting GM parts on the Ferrari.

Said before, but as in all things interweb, you have to re-say it about every other month. All the shotgun builders you mention are friendly award each other and they all do top notch work. They all do the same things and you will be happy with any of them.

Just looked at Steve Rose. No decisions yet but he is about 3 hours from my house. Just based on location I will consider using RAS.

I don't doubt Taran does great work but I don't really like the idea of sending a gun to CA. Unless I am missing something you get great style with Taran but no difference in performance over Accurate, Benny Hill, Steve Rose.......

If I am wrong here please explain the difference.

Let me add a little something.

Kurt has been "smithing" longer than most have been shooting! And is, for me (and many others) THE Benelli Guru.

What many Benelli tuners "know" they learned from Kurt and his long history of competing with the spaghetti shooters.

If you look at the winner's circle at any major match you will see Taran's guns, Benny's guns, Mike's guns and some "home tuned" guns.

In every case those Smiths have benefited in some way from Kurt's willingness to spread his knowledge.

Yea, I know this reads like a Kurt fanboy, and that would be true. But I am known as a guy who tries his best to speak the truth, and I am now.

All of these guys will build you a great M2, Pick one based on price or turn-around or personality for that matter. But pick one and get on with

the business of shooting.

Thanks Pat!

Here it is...

Triangle does have the biggest port...hey they are in Texas after all!

Taran has the prettiest lightened bolt, and designer logo.

Mike does a little more on polishing and hand fitting internal parts. He and I get to try all sorts of things out on Benelli because we are friends and he lives near by. Now here is the cool part...the stuff we find out we share with Benny and Taran...now who would you go with?

Edited by kurtm