Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3Gun Fitness

Ok, I was holding back on this suggestion cuz you guys are gonna laugh your asses off. But.... Start taking ball room dancing lessons. I know it sounds wierd, but there are some really great benefits, so clean up the beer which just came out of your nose and hear me out. First, classes are a work out which stengthen the core and are cardio'ish. Second, the footwork is complex, requiring both men and women to focus on remembering technically complex physical routines. Third, you will learn fluidity in motion, which translates to shooting better on the move. Fourth, for you men... For a whole hour your woman has to do exactly what you tell her to do, or she looks bad. Fifth, your significant other considers it "together time" which scores more "me" time for practice later. Together time leads to the very best exercise anyone can have... the horizonatal mambo.

Please consult a physician to determine if your heart is healthy enough for the horizontal mambo. If your horizontal mambo lasts for more than 4hrs... then go out with a big smile on your face.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I was holding back on this suggestion cuz you guys are gonna laugh your asses off. But.... Start taking ball room dancing lessons. I know it sounds wierd, but there are some really great benefits, so clean up the beer which just came out of your nose and hear me out. First, classes are a work out which stengthen the core and are cardio'ish. Second, the footwork is complex, requiring both men and women to focus on remembering technically complex physical routines. Third, you will learn fluidity in motion, which translates to shooting better on the move. Fourth, for you men... For a whole hour your woman has to do exactly what you tell her to do, or she looks bad. Fifth, your significant other considers it "together time" which scores more "me" time for practice later. Together time leads to the very best exercise anyone can have... the horizonatal mambo.

Please consult a physician to determine if your heart is healthy enough for the horizontal mambo. If your horizontal mambo lasts for more than 4hrs... then go out with a big smile on your face.

I'll stick with the beer...

RTR,

You are about 34yo per your profile, and if you are not exercising now, RM3G and other of these types of events are just good motivation to get in the habit of doing something you should have been anyway. It gets progressively harder to shed pounds, get fit, and stay off injury as you get older so don't put it off another day.

Cardio and weight control are the best contributors to overall health. Strength training is OK but, bench pressing 400lbs hardly ever comes in useful, unless trapped under a vehicle. Intense cardio workouts are likely the best for a sport like 3-gun. My personal favorite is circuit training, run-weights-run-weights-run-core strengthening...5-6 times a week. But anything, even walking (briskly) for 30 minutes, is better than nothing. Worst thing you can do, in my opinion, is procrastinate.

Good luck.

Chris,

You live close enough to the incline. HIt the incline twice a week between now and RM3G and I promise you will notice a difference in your stamina at the big match. I hiked the Pikes Peak Crags today and the high altitude romp felt great!

Mike

Ok today I started. My little yorkie Daisy is always pulling me on her walks. So today we ran full steam around the park (small park) but ya gotta start somewhere. Will do the incline twice this week along with some other cardio and see if I survive.

Things to remember on the incline... 1. It's very steep and you will be sucking wind early. Pace yourself and keep breathing. 2. Anyone can do the incline, so don't give up. The view from the top is your reward. 3. Hydrate well, starting today as you will be sweating your balls off before the top. If you don't have a camel back, get one... doesn't have to be expensive, just hold water and free up both hands as you may need them. 4. Watch your descent and take it easy. A fall on the incline could put you in the hospital.

I do not recommend this method! You know they have Ballroom Dance Competitions, right? I lost a family member who used to be a competitive shooter to Ball Room Dance Competition. Now they spend all their time going to Dances and no longer shoot....at all!

Crossfit. Strength, stamina, endurance and flexibility with the Paleo diet. Try to stay away from all the foods that can be refined into alcohol. ( wheat, rice, potatoes etc). Those give you huge spikes which cause the mental crash and burns. Probably this close to a match, your best bet is to eat cleaner. If your long term goal is to get better at 3 gun, I highly recommend you check out Crossfit. Can't tell you how many guys I shoot with also do Crossfit as well. Good stuff and the guy who is in charge of the games is also a shooter.

I knew there were undercover CrossFit people around here somewhere. Anyone that likes to tinker, wants to see quantified scoring systems, and is a gamer will like CrossFit. Just like 3gun when you start you'er probably not going to be very good at it, but stick with it and you'll be kicking ass within a few months. If we can learn to load a SG weak handed then Oly lifting should be easy.

Check out the Crossfit thread in physical conditioning. Probably one of the longer threads on the forum. Out of the ten guys I shoot with on a regular basis, six of us Crossfit. I think JJ bought a Crossfit gym and the guy who is in charge of the Crossfit games shoots with us on a regular basis. The Crossfit main website had a picture of him teaching one of the top female competitors how to shoot. Talk about a thread that went nuts. I think some antis heads exploded that day.