Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo/component shortage and lower round count matches

mpolans

We've trended a bit lower on our stages, while trying to keep them fun and interesting. I think we've been in the 120-150 range for 6-7 stage matches. You run the risk of making it not worthwhile to drive an hour for a match (especially with gas prices), but we're trying to be more thoughtful in stage design. I think a lot of guys have just cut out practice rounds and are saving up for matches... just speculation on my part.

All of our matches seem to be around the same round count as in the past. To your other point no I do not want lower round count matches. Components are out there you may have to back them and be patient but they will come.

I have reduced my practice time to ensure that I have ammunition for matches. Also I am more selective about the matches that I participate in. As far as the round count of the stages I don't worry about that much.

I guess that it also helps that I am a competitive epee and foil fencer, since I have to split my time between fencing and shooting competitions I don't shoot as much as many of my fellow competitors.

I agree that the components are out there you've just got to be patient and don't wait until you're low to order.

Of the three local clubs I shoot at the two USPSA clubs shoot the same round counts as before. The other club is an IDPA club and they've gone down to 50 rounds for five stages. It's pretty much not worth shooting but that club is made up mainly of new shooters that don't reload. If you don't reload it must be pretty tough especially 9mm.

I would have thought that either the round count would go down or the participation would go down. I have not seen that ..

in fact I think it's the opposite.

Look how fast the larger matches fill up. Match participation has not wavered one bit, I think people are going to shoot

till they have no more components and then quit.

"Laissez les bon temps rouler" as the Cajuns say in Louisiana! "Let the good times roll!"

No and no.

But you must admit that we don't have as many guys out practicing either. Its been pretty quiet on the action ranges (at least when I'm there).

Nope, won't admit that either. 4 years ago I could go one day and every bay was empty. Go another day and every bay was used. Same thing happens now. Attendance at our 3-gun matches has dropped.

The local range here is owned by the Dept. of Wildlife & Fisheries, so all you can do is stand still and punch paper, no drawing or reloading drills. Last

time I went, they had several people shooting. The people I talked to were complaining about getting ammo.

I don't do any shooting other than at the local matches that I attend and the occasional sighting in of a rifle or handgun. Dry Firing is really boring!

• 2 weeks later...

I have not seen either a drop in round count OR a drop in shooters. In fact we have lots of new shooters and as ammo becomes more available hopefully even more. Just have to let shooters know ahead I guess, that way they can save/stock up/reload or whatever to have the ammo.

In fact last month we had a charity match instead of our normal USPSA match. Our charity matches tend to be high round count matches, this one was even more so. 5 stages, 280 rounds. On stage was 68 and the next was 72, there were some TIRED trigger fingers by the end of each of those. All told we shout almost 20,000 rounds in those 5 hours and I did not see a frown in the bunch :)

Yeah, that is one of the penalties I did not have to pay, the bill I racked up on stage 5 was enough! I don't remember thank you being what people were saying/thinking as they tried to get those last 8 shots off during that stage. Not quoting them here though :)

June 30 we shot a charity match. The 2013 NCPS MONSTER MATCH.

The match was 6 stages, 300 rounds. Weather was 108 degrees. We had one all-steel stage, 42 rounds.

The steel was so hot we used gloves to reset the poppers and plates.

Nobody complained about the round count and nobody ran out of ammo.

Shooters LIKE TO SHOOT! :goof::cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

At the match I shot today (USPSA style rules, but not affiliated) We had 3 stages totalling about 80 rounds. I haven't seen how the scoring will work out yet as it's not posted until tomorrow. But, they simply let you shoot all 3, or sign up twice and shoot all 3 twice (same division). Instead of running through all three and then repeating. You shot the stage, went to the end of the shooting order and shot that same stage again before moving on to the next stage. Guys who wanted a low round count match got one and so did the guys who wanted a high round count match. The advantage to this was that the guys who shot twice didn't get stuck pasting their own targets after shooting and cleaning up the whole match because half of the competitors would have taken off.

I'm imagining they'll have the first runs as a match and then have something like "second run" next to the shooters name's who did two runs. Which was about half of the shooters. This proved to be pretty effective since a lot of guys were hurting for ammo, and especially around here. We have had a crazy influx of new shooters who all seem to have bought 9mm's.. and there hasnt been 9 on the shelf for months.

Edited by partyboy424

Out here in South Africa shooting IPSC of course, it is business as usual with re round count. At a Level II match on a Saturday, tipical 120-140 round, 7-8 stages.

But guys, help me out here......how can there be component shortages in the USA? Why, what has caused this?

Out here in South Africa shooting IPSC of course, it is business as usual with re round count. At a Level II match on a Saturday, tipical 120-140 round, 7-8 stages.

But guys, help me out here......how can there be component shortages in the USA? Why, what has caused this?

Fear that the current federal government administration will make guns, ammo and components unavailable.

A real example of what the Media does not report or even cover-it has to be sensational to get space. Surely the USA Gun Control excitement of late 2012 and this Spring have been read and heard in South Africa?

Chuck

A real example of what the Media does not report or even cover-it has to be sensational to get space. Surely the USA Gun Control excitement of late 2012 and this Spring have been read and heard in South Africa?

Chuck

Yes Chuck, we have read about the problems that could cause more strict gun control, but it still seems odd that there would be a shortage of reloading components in the USA, the companies that manufacture primers for instance, did they down scale in production, or is everybody just stocking up like crazy in fear of running short?

Herman