Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Aguila Brass

Matt O

I'm hoping to get started with reloading sometime in the next couple months (whenever the 550 I ordered last week ends up coming in) and I have been saving my brass for a while as prep. Of the brass that I’ve saved up, I’ve probably got about 4-5k of Aguila brass (along with various other mixed brands).

In researching brass quality and reload-ability, I seem to be seeing somewhat mixed reviews for Aguila – some people won’t reload with it and others say it’s decent brass that can be reloaded quite a few times. So, what’s the deal with Aguila – is it good to go or not? And if not, why not and what problems did you encounter with it?

I have no problem with 9mm Aguila brass. bought 5000 rounds a few years ago and have probably reloaded them 4-5 times without issue. Then again on personal stuff i'll reload till it cracks then chuck it out.

As you may have seen in my prior post elsewhere, I have a mixed experience with Aguila 9mm brass.

If it's plain, unmarked brass, it loads and shoots fine with my 147 moly bullets loaded to 1.125 to 1.135 and used in factory Glock bbls. But if the brass has a crimp mark on it, I've had pretty consistent problems with the cases bulging out on loading the 147's, right at the crimp groove, and to point where they won't chamber in the Glock bbls.

I shoot 9mm in my CZ(and my wife's G17) loaded to about 130 PF and I will load anything that isn't cracked. I gauge every round and we have shot almost 10,000 rounds in 6 months and never had a malfunction. Some of the brass is Aguila. I was skeptical at first, because of the perforated crimp, but it works fine.

It has an unsightly crimp ring around the case, but other than that I've never had any issues reloading Aguila.

As a matter of fact the only pistol brass that I have issues with is typically Winchester. They're apparently mixing and matching a lot of stuff between their military and commercial runs, so I've been getting commercial head-stamped brass that has a crimped primer pocket (and sometimes the commercial ammo has military headstamps).