Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro Custom 14.45

bigdawgbeav

Great gun! I used to shoot one in USPSA but then switched to a P16 for more rounds in the mags. If you really want the 45 then get it. But the P16 would be a better choice if you shoot both IDPA & USPSA

I shoot CDP and handload .45, so it makes sense. I was concerened since I've heard a few gripes about Paras and their quality and reliability.

And if I do shoot USPSA then I'll probably go L10 but I could get away with Limited if I added extended pads.

But right now I'm strictly a CDP shooter and if I download my PF I can shoot ESP

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yes the 45 is great if that's the round you want. Try and get one with a standard extractor. The new production guns do. But if you do get a older one with a PXT you can always replace it with the Egw. My p14 had a pxt extractor and ran great,some don't, but I think the 45 has more success with the pxt than other calibers. Also with Dawson mag extent ions you can get 18rounds of 45 in your mags. Go for it, you'll like the P14.

Edited by ParaGunner

Yes the 45 is great if that's the round you want. Try and get one with a standard extractor. The new production guns do. But if you do get a older one with a PXT you can always replace it with the Egw. My p14 had a pxt extractor and ran great,some don't, but I think the 45 has more success with the pxt than other calibers. Also with Dawson mag extent ions you can get 18rounds of 45 in your mags. Go for it, you'll like the P14.

I was looking at one of the new ones that have the egw HD extractor. Interesting side note, egw is 30 minutes from my house.

I've heard great things about the newer pistols Para is coming out with,the best pistols Para made to date.

same here... and for $1300 you have a double stack .45 all ready for competition... I just added up all the accessories for my current competition setup (XDM) and I'm at $1700... damn! I had no idea, it just adds up quick.

I think the only thing you need for the Para Pro Custom is the obilgatory holster and mag pouch and an extra mag or 2. Maybe a lightening of the trigger, but I don't know for sure on that. Of course you need range time and 500+ rounds for the break-in.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a P1640 and a P1445 in the past. Liked how both of them shot but absolutely HATED taking them apart (series 80). I traded them off for a STI Eagle and have regretted that (the trade, not the Eagle).

Now that I am older (and have a lot more experience as my own Armorer) I am jumping back in the pool and have a P14 from Gunbroker on the way. There does seem a period of time where Para products exhibited a higher rate of issues/ complaints but hopefully that is behind us (at least from what I am hearing of late...)

I had a P1640 and a P1445 in the past. Liked how both of them shot but absolutely HATED taking them apart (series 80). I traded them off for a STI Eagle and have regretted that (the trade, not the Eagle).

Now that I am older (and have a lot more experience as my own Armorer) I am jumping back in the pool and have a P14 from Gunbroker on the way. There does seem a period of time where Para products exhibited a higher rate of issues/ complaints but hopefully that is behind us (at least from what I am hearing of late...)

I've been hearing the same things. Some folks have attributed it to Tomasie joining the party.

I just wish I could get my hands on one first. No one has them in stock.

Bud's has the 14 45 pro custom in stock. The 16 40 is not available yet. I have a14 45 limited and love it. Next is a tomassie custom in .40

A few places have it in stock but no where local. Would hate to spend 1200 and never held one

• 4 weeks later...

I got one. wait i have more than one...I'll be shooting my custom para this weekend at LP if you're going to be there. you can fondle it if you'd like.

I also have a 14-45 that I shoot in IDPA local matches occasionally but there are a few downsides. I converted mine to series 70 because 80 is just junk. the S&A magwells weigh a ton and don't fit the box. So I slab sided them then Lightened the MS Housing internally. Then needed to use Dawson .100 aluminum basepads also to fit the box and make weight. Not to mention my slide is internally lightened, and I use a short GR as well.

I got one. wait i have more than one...I'll be shooting my custom para this weekend at LP if you're going to be there. you can fondle it if you'd like.

I also have a 14-45 that I shoot in IDPA local matches occasionally but there are a few downsides. I converted mine to series 70 because 80 is just junk. the S&A magwells weigh a ton and don't fit the box. So I slab sided them then Lightened the MS Housing internally. Then needed to use Dawson .100 aluminum basepads also to fit the box and make weight. Not to mention my slide is internally lightened, and I use a short GR as well.

Good God Steve! Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that someday. Decided to stick with the red rocker of an XDM for now... despite the past.

Has anyone heard a eta for the pro custom .40?

I just talked to Para a couple days ago and they said the 9mm would be out first in Sept - Oct then the .40 in Nov - Dec. That probably means 1st quarter next year on both unfortunately :(

Bummer! I have 4 Para's now but I really want a 9mm Pro Custom.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this thread, I am undecided on getting my p14-45 para (1995 vintage) rebuilt later this year, new barrel,maybe new slide with adjustable rear and green frontsight and all other parts that are wornout. The gun also needs refinishing. It is now a limited USPSA gun with 3lb trigger, bomar sights, extended magwell, extended mag release etc. It runs great no failures to date over 10k rounds. Either that or get a custom 45acp from sti/dawson. Anyone who has shot both I would appreciate your thoughts.

After reading this thread, I am undecided on getting my p14-45 para (1995 vintage) rebuilt later this year, new barrel,maybe new slide with adjustable rear and green frontsight and all other parts that are wornout. The gun also needs refinishing. It is now a limited USPSA gun with 3lb trigger, bomar sights, extended magwell, extended mag release etc. It runs great no failures to date over 10k rounds. Either that or get a custom 45acp from sti/dawson. Anyone who has shot both I would appreciate your thoughts.

I've shot both and prefer a steel framed gun over plastic. Also, the spot on a sti frame where the trigger bow travels kind of bothers me while shooting. I like the feel and the weight of the Para.

Edited by ParaGunner

I have medium size hands which would fit better the STI (eagle or other)or Para p14-45 both double stack 45acp???

I would suggest to try and find someone that would let you shoot one or both of the pistols. With medium sized hands I would say either pistol would fit you,you would just have to find the correct trigger length to match your hand size. I prefer a Para with a long flat trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

The specs on the Tomasie Pro Custom .40 model is impressive. Para is using high quality parts on this model. Based on the spec sheet and Travis Tomasie's involvement, I believe it will be the best Para produced gun to date. While they haven't yet released this model to the public yet, grabagun.com already has this model listed on their website for a little over $1600. Seems very reasonable.

The Pro-Custom listed on Bud's site shows only a 10+1 capacity. Does anyone know if the 14 round Para-Ord mags work?

Thanks

Never mind I was looking at the CA gun.

Edited by rtl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Does any one have spec for the pro custom 14.45? Wondering if it fits the idpa box....

I purchased a Para Pro Custom 14.45 from Buds about 6 weeks ago and am now getting it ready for IDPA competition. It would not fit the IDPA box with the Dawson magwell that came with the pistol but have since fitted a EGW magwell that will. The EGW is open in the front and also allows the mag to contact the grip frame when you insert a mag off center. I guess I could chamfer the grip frame to prevent this . Other than the magwell not fitting the box it was pretty much ready to go. I had a C&S light weight sear and hammer so I installed those parts and used a shim to convert it from 80 series to 70 series along with changing the factory mainspring to a Wilson 19 lb. MS. . I may change out the plastic MS housing to an aluminum one but am probly close on weight as it is.

This is my first Hi-cap and the learning curve has been steeper than i thought making the transition from a STI 1911 to a Para . The pistol might be ready for prime time now but I'm not .