Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What has happened to the Mossberg 930?

JKW

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the past 2.5 years, I can count the issues with my 930 on the thumbs of one hand, running cheap-o Estate shotshells and Federal reduced recoil slugs.

It doesn't like a buddy's reloads, but then, neither do I.

I love my 930 jm pro. found one while on vacation and decided I had to try it. I have not had any malfunctions at all with this shotgun and I have roughly 500-700 rounds through it not being nice. I know for a fact I would take it over my buddies slp any time.

Everyone says get a benelli or vm but not everyone has that kind of money, and for people who are not top competitors it can be tough to justify that cost. So many want to try the sport on a casual level and on a budget. It seems that the 930 is hit or miss with some running great and others puking so it stands to reason that the design is decent but perhaps quality control is lacking and some proper "tuning that all 930s should run respectably. I would expect as good as a benelli or vm due to design but they should be able to be reliable overall. I personally am thinking of selling my jm for an m2 but not because I am not happy with the jm but because the m2 is so darn nice. Heck I'd like to keep the jm buy an m2 this year and add a vm next year just to have all 3 but that's a bit unreaslistic from a $ point of view for me.

Buy once cry once all that gunsmith work keeping a 930 running could end up costing you more then the m2. Plus let's face it any that can come up with enough for a 930 or three gun in General can skip a few matches a save the ammo money to upgrade to an m2 or however you want to justify it right?

Lol, funny math you have there. There aren't many issues the JM requires paid gunsmithing on, and I'd hate to ask what you pay for shotgun shells that a few matches worth of shotgun shells makes up the difference in price between the JM and an M2? :roflol:

Update on my JM Pro. I had RAS go through it, plus some extra stuff done. Was it worth the cost? Yes. I now have a reliable shotgun that loads like a dream, shoots soft, hits where I point it, and I like the feel of. Was it the best plan of action? Only if it's what you have. But with my experience now, even if I ever get an M2, VM, or even a M3000, I'll be visiting Mr. Rose at RAS.

Count me as a less-than-satisfied owner of a Mossberg 930 JM Pro. I bought the gun in June 2013 and it shot the first box of shells flawlessly. Didn't fire it for a couple months until my first 3-Gun match. Then, in less than a box, it started double feeding shells and did it almost all the time. Only way I could continue was to single load one shell at a time. Sent the gun back to Mossberg, and it took 5 weeks to get it back. Eventually started hounding them every day until they finally did the work. Sent the gun back to me without the barrel/tube clamp, and the forearm retainer was split.

Have fired it about 100 rounds since getting it back and so far it works. But, I finally patterned the gun and it shoots high, even with the lowest stock spacer installed. So now I am trying to find a higher front sight to get the POI down. Of course, Mossberg doesn't sell a higher front sight.

Would I buy another one? No Would I recommend it to someone else? No

I am now satisfied with mine but before recommending it to anyone else I would have to tell them what I went through to get there - complete internal polishing and weld the lifter and smooth the loading opening - oh and a minor detail - I had to bend the barrel to hit point of aim.

No it is not satisfactory - it is crap, but now mine works and as long as it does it is good enough - would not do it over again - except, I really like the light recoil - the fast loading and the excellent pointability. I run into folks all the time that have problems with theirs and we can get them working in all cases so far.

Mossberg really does not appreciate its customers.

Everyone says get a benelli or vm but not everyone has that kind of money, and for people who are not top competitors it can be tough to justify that cost. So many want to try the sport on a casual level and on a budget. It seems that the 930 is hit or miss with some running great and others puking so it stands to reason that the design is decent but perhaps quality control is lacking and some proper "tuning that all 930s should run respectably. I would expect as good as a benelli or vm due to design but they should be able to be reliable overall. I personally am thinking of selling my jm for an m2 but not because I am not happy with the jm but because the m2 is so darn nice. Heck I'd like to keep the jm buy an m2 this year and add a vm next year just to have all 3 but that's a bit unreaslistic from a $ point of view for me.

Buy once cry once all that gunsmith work keeping a 930 running could end up costing you more then the m2. Plus let's face it any that can come up with enough for a 930 or three gun in General can skip a few matches a save the ammo money to upgrade to an m2 or however you want to justify it right?

Lol, funny math you have there. There aren't many issues the JM requires paid gunsmithing on, and I'd hate to ask what you pay for shotgun shells that a few matches worth of shotgun shells makes up the difference in price between the JM and an M2? :roflol:

Update on my JM Pro. I had RAS go through it, plus some extra stuff done. Was it worth the cost? Yes. I now have a reliable shotgun that loads like a dream, shoots soft, hits where I point it, and I like the feel of. Was it the best plan of action? Only if it's what you have. But with my experience now, even if I ever get an M2, VM, or even a M3000, I'll be visiting Mr. Rose at RAS.

What all did he have to do to get it to run? What extras? does it shoot softer now or was it all for reliability?

What all did he have to do to get it to run? What extras? does it shoot softer now or was it all for reliability?

Reliability, mostly. I don't have an exact list of what all was done, but I believe it involved the shell catch. For serviceability, the lifter was replaced with one from C-Rums, loading port opened up. It really is a sweet shotty now. I'm pretty sure I'm all wet here, but I prefer a beefier shotgun. I'm sure I would like the feel of a VM more than an M2. But that wouldn't stop me from buying a Benelli. Still, I don't think I could in good conscience recommend a JM Pro to someone thinking it's good to run right out of the box. However, with a bit of work, I think it will do just fine.

Edited by BobS761

Do Benelli's come ready to run out of the box? I've heard a lot of "got my Benelli, got it off to the smith" stuff.

Yes they do, but a lot of guys like to have them modified and also like to pay someone else to do it rather than butchering it themselves. I am of the butcher it myself variety, always a good time

Do Benelli's come ready to run out of the box? I've heard a lot of "got my Benelli, got it off to the smith" stuff.

Benelli's are extremely reliable out of the box. The smith work they are sent out for is to improve the handling and performance of the gun, not it's reliability.

Yes they run as others have said but all semi auto shotguns come with a forked follower that tears up your thumbs for reloading hence why they go to the Smiths, Benelli's FN's, Remintgons etc all need to have the followers welded and the loading ports opened.

Pat

Not all of them have thumbeater lifters. There is one that needs no lifter work. It is the......wait for it............ STOEGER!!!!! mwaaaahahahahaha!!!!!!! :P $450 of sweetness with benelli reliability and minimal mods necessary. Don't know why you guys keep trying to justify spending more money for less gun. :rolleyes:

Tom

I don't know about newer M2s, but my M1 is stock, except for the Nordic tube, clamp and fiber front sight. Older M1s have a shell carrier that does not bite your thumb, so no work was needed. Mine has been extremely reliable, will cycle all but the featherlight loads (it won't reliably cycle 26gram loads). I know three other people with HK import M1 Benellis that are in the same serial range (190-200,000) and have been reliable without trips to a gunsmith.

Hurley

Not all of them have thumbeater lifters. There is one that needs no lifter work. It is the......wait for it............ STOEGER!!!!! mwaaaahahahahaha!!!!!!! :P $450 of sweetness with benelli reliability and minimal mods necessary. Don't know why you guys keep trying to justify spending more money for less gun. :rolleyes:

Tom

Seems a bit trollish, especially when you're selling parts and mods for the Stoeger, no?

My company is MOA Precision LLC, we are setting up our website to interface in the Enos vendor area. I will post on the shotgun forum here when they are ready to ship with pricing and pictures. They will ship USPS priority unless other shipment is needed. Thanks to all here for interest in this! We are working on other products for the Stoeger platform as well. Arredondo is providing us with speed loader chutes which we are modifying to work with these shotguns. We also make oversize release buttons, micro-dot mounts that attach between stock and receiver, and we do CNC loading port mods. In addition, we are blueprinting the trigger mechanism so we can rework for improved trigger pull weight and reset. We will be offering package deals as well, with groups of modifications appropriate to each class at a slight discount over the price of doing the mods separately. I will post up a website link when we have the page ready showing the Stoeger mods. I have been very happy with the performance of this shotgun, and we think it is a great value for 3gun competition.

As soon as the adapter nut is complete, we will be working with Nordic to get inventory of their MXT tubes (without their nut) on the shelf here so we can sell the extensions as a complete set with our nut for about the same price. We will stock the most common tube lengths.

Funny I didn't have to send my JM off to anyone at all.

I have been very happy with my 930 it started as the SPX and I replaced the barrel with the 24 JM model I opened up the loading port and sent the lifter to C-Rums to be modified an a NC ext. tube. I have not had any problems with it.

I shot some 7/8th oz loads the other day and they cycled perfect. My 930 was the only gun to cycle all the loads from the lightest to the heaviest without issue. There were Benelli's, Remington and one older Winchester and not one of those guns could cycle the light loads. I didn't even expect mine to run them but was very happy that it did.

Wasn't meaning to come off trollish. The fact that it requires so little gunsmith work is one of the reasons I like it so much. You can run it out of the box, with a Nordic mag ext (granted that part will take some fitting) and not give anything up to most of what people are running out there. My post was valid, as I wasn't volunteering my services to CORRECT the lifter, only pointing out that you DON'T NEED it fixed.

Edit- You may notice that most of the mods we offer are open class type stuff, which is irrelevant to this conversation. Fact is, a world class shooter could beat most all of us with a bolt release button 1/4 of standard size, and a 10 lb trigger pull. Lots of the mods we make give us more confidence in what we are shooting, but don't make us better shooters.

Edited by openclassterror

Wasn't meaning to come off trollish. The fact that it requires so little gunsmith work is one of the reasons I like it so much. You can run it out of the box, with a Nordic mag ext (granted that part will take some fitting) and not give anything up to most of what people are running out there. My post was valid, as I wasn't volunteering my services to CORRECT the lifter, only pointing out that you DON'T NEED it fixed.

Edit- You may notice that most of the mods we offer are open class type stuff, which is irrelevant to this conversation. Fact is, a world class shooter could beat most all of us with a bolt release button 1/4 of standard size, and a 10 lb trigger pull. Lots of the mods we make give us more confidence in what we are shooting, but don't make us better shooters.

No problem. Locally I've yet to see a Stoeger, while there are a pretty good amount of JMs, VMs, and some Benellis. For the most part, all of them running well; just not seeing the 'major issues' discussed on and off in the thread. In a different thread, I'd be curious to hear from someone whose owned both the CZ and the Stoeger, while at the moment I have no reason to look beyond my JM, but the Beretta 1301 is probably the most immediately interesting to me for a possible future purchase. Good to have choices. :)

I absolutely agree. If the same shotgun was perfect for everybody, all the manufacturers would be making clones of the same gun. I am 6'3" and almost 250 lbs, so the biggest complaint about inertia guns (namely, recoil) doesn't affect me much. I will absolutely state without a doubt that the Mossy has noticeably less recoil than the Stoeger, but in my world that is not a purchase factor. For someone of normal size and shape (ie, not round ;)) the significant recoil difference might be the decision right there. I would not go so far as to say ANY shotgun is the perfect choice for everybody, because even ergonomics and/or looks play a part in many purchases. Savage bolt guns have tremendous accuracy potential, but their homely looks steer a lot of people to pay more for a Remington. Around here there are quite a few JMs VMs and Benellis, as well as Saigas and VEPRs. I have yet to see the CZ in the valley here, though I don't think it is because it is a bad shotgun. I think a lot of purchases are somewhat regional based on what the distributors stock. Sportsman's Warehouse is heavily stocking Beretta-owned companies (Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger, etc) and a lot of people still want to hold a gun in their hands before they buy. I have 7 shotguns at the moment, and all had something to commend them at the time or I wouldn't have bought them. The one thing I haven't tried yet is an AK type gun, because they seem more hit-or-miss on reliability than any of the tube fed guns. I actually have a Mossberg SA-20 gas gun for my 11 year old son, and it has been pretty reliable, although the disconnector was jammed right out of the box and I had to gunsmith it before it would even fire. Since then, we have been pleased with it

I have a Rhythm as well. Somewhere between 750 and 1000 rounds through it and have only had 2 issues, both with crapper Winchester Super X shells. Another guy that shoots at our place has one and hasn't had any trouble with it. I know at least 5 other people with varying models of the 930 and none of them have had any trouble.

bought my JM pro about a year ago it ran okay for about 1 match after which I replace the mag spring along with the follower with a NC and it promptly became that "F" ing POS for the last 3 matches with a consistent failure to feed "BUT" it shot slugs to the crappy factory frontsite POA so I have persevered with referring to the troubleshoots that everyone has come up with, also had jeff from C-Rums weld up my lifter which helped immensely and he also gave me the tip of polishing the bolt stop which has caused it to start working for me manually without having to wack the bolt handle to get it to release a shell from the tube and it also went 2!! stages without trouble. I also feel Mossberg really screwed the pooch on this just like the SPX when it first came out and after reading the best case scenario's with mossies CS I figured it best to not even try contacting them. I feel the 930 JM Pro is basically an over priced parts kit that may or may not run out of the box , but the reason I bought it was my buddy would not sell me his M1 super 90 that I had been borrowing for the last 3 years. can't say that I would recommend it as a GTG out of the box but I have met several other folks with "other" 930's and they have 0 complaints

A good friend bought a 930, waterfowler, and couldn't get t thru 2 stations of Sporting Clays with the gun.

Back to Moss, 3-weeks to "repair" -- took it duck hunting, and shell stuck in chamber after 3-shots.

Back to Moss, installed new barrel. Sporting Clays, ran OK with Rem gun club, loaded Federal game loads, and broken extractor.

Back to Cabela's for reimbursement, and bought a benelli. --CC

bought my JM pro about a year ago it ran okay for about 1 match after which I replace the mag spring along with the follower with a NC and it promptly became that "F" ing POS for the last 3 matches with a consistent failure to feed "BUT" it shot slugs to the crappy factory frontsite POA so I have persevered with referring to the troubleshoots that everyone has come up with, also had jeff from C-Rums weld up my lifter which helped immensely and he also gave me the tip of polishing the bolt stop which has caused it to start working for me manually without having to wack the bolt handle to get it to release a shell from the tube and it also went 2!! stages without trouble. I also feel Mossberg really screwed the pooch on this just like the SPX when it first came out and after reading the best case scenario's with mossies CS I figured it best to not even try contacting them. I feel the 930 JM Pro is basically an over priced parts kit that may or may not run out of the box , but the reason I bought it was my buddy would not sell me his M1 super 90 that I had been borrowing for the last 3 years. can't say that I would recommend it as a GTG out of the box but I have met several other folks with "other" 930's and they have 0 complaints

Nordic states on their website that the follower isn't for mossbergs. Could be your issue. Also what length is your spring cut?