Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What has happened to the Mossberg 930?

JKW

I have a 930 SPX that I have been using for about a year now for 3 gun and it has been flawless. I have herd some people had some troubles with the ones they got also. I guess I got a Monday gun?? For some reason I can't post any pictures?

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like from the people posting that the 930 spx has had a little better run than the jm has. I'd be interested to see if there was a difference in performance between the 22" and 24" jm's, lots of people taking about 22's but not much for certain on the 24" model (people may not be specifying). I have been wanting to get a hold of one of these problem children for a project shotgun but no one wants to give theirs up even if its not working for them.

Several of my friends have recently purchased JMPros and had issues with them right out of the box. Even the guys with pumps are having issues. We see enough new to the 3 gun game guys here and unfortunately, I hear more guys wishing they spent a little more money. Mossberg has always had a good reputation for having a good entry point gun but for the last couple of years, it seems like their quality has really declined. That is unfortunate because the concept of offering a low price point gun should help grow the sport of 3 gun. Hopefully they get the bugs worked out.

i had my 930 on order for some time, and i almost cancelled the order to go with a benelli m2 and then my lgs called me and said my 930 was in. ive got under 200 down the tube so far with 3 malf's so im hoping it behaves a bit better after a couple hundred more rounds. if i cant trust my life on a firearm then i dont want it, i hope i dont regret my purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Its got 500 rounds (trouble free). I clean it after every range trip, and lube it before I take it back out. Light lube on the bolt, gas piston and outside of mag tube. And a little more on the bolt carrier.

Add me to the list of people that like the 930 but is 100% fed up with Mossberg.

3 years and well over 9k (almost to 10k) rounds later, the gun now requires cleaning almost every 100 rounds in order to stay running. The gas ring's are worn, the extractor spring is beat, the recoil spring is getting softer, and this all ='s a gun that needs new parts. The gun is just tired

For some reason mossberg has their head's so far up their ----------------- that they wont make parts available. I have tried for two months to get parts for my gun with zero luck. I even wrote direct emails to Joe at mossberg (the guy that got me my barrel) it ended with no response.

Dear Mossberg, I know you are used to your standard non shooting demographic that buys a "tactical 500" puts a pistol grip on it, poses for facbook pictures and puts it in a closet. BUT when you make a shotgun that is meant for competition and to actually be used and run hard, you need to make replacement parts available.

NO gun on the market can run forever without replacements for wearing parts...

So you know what, ------------ I'm out.

My versamax will be here tomorrow.

Edited by sperman
Remove profanity.

Add me to the list of people that like the 930 but is 100% fed up with Mossberg.

3 years and well over 9k (almost to 10k) rounds later, the gun now requires cleaning almost every 100 rounds in order to stay running. The gas ring's are worn, the extractor spring is beat, the recoil spring is getting softer, and this all ='s a gun that needs new parts. The gun is just tired

For some reason mossberg has their head's so far up their ---------------- that they wont make parts available. I have tried for two months to get parts for my gun with zero luck. I even wrote direct emails to Joe at mossberg (the guy that got me my barrel) it ended with no response.

Dear Mossberg, I know you are used to your standard non shooting demographic that buys a "tactical 500" puts a pistol grip on it, poses for facbook pictures and puts it in a closet. BUT when you make a shotgun that is meant for competition and to actually be used and run hard, you need to make replacement parts available.

NO gun on the market can run forever without replacements for wearing parts...

So you know what, -------------- I'm out.

My versamax will be here tomorrow.

I called and ordered a piston (came with both rings) $36, four piston springs ($3.25@) and four recoil springs ($3.25@). I had them by the end of the week. I sure wish they'd sell more internal parts.

you are doing better than me. I was told they were GS only which is funny because I do the repair work at a loccal shop and still no luck.

It's all a matter of luck. When I was placing the spring and piston order ( wanted this for a quick swap item while the other one was soaking), I asked the guy how much the firing pin and spring cost. I told them I had received two each about a month ago but didn't get an invoice, just $46.95 charged to my C/C. He told me those weren't available. :surprise: Yea, right. I just bought two from them.

They really should learn to take care of their customers.

Ok so here's a 100,000 round down the barrel 930 :

My 930 was supplied just over 3 years ago as part of a Mossberg factory sponsorship deal.

Here in the UK we cannot just go out & a buy a new gun (restricted by Police issued licence) so we are very adapt at keeping guns running B)

A shoot record has to be kept by law & i know just how many rounds have been fired :goof:

The receiver has been reblued twice & has some interesting bolt wear marks , 2 bolt handles have snapped ,the sight rail was lost as were the screws & i have "shot off" a barrel clamp leaving a nice chunk out of the nordic tube. Not much metal is left on the factory magtube due to extensive scrubbing to keep clean , oh & i broke the safety catch !

I was lucky to get one of the first JM models (think it was the first one pictured on here) but that lives in Kentucky - as plans to export it have not gone well .

So for the price i think its a cracking gun .

Great posts, thanks!

Any pics of the "interesting wear"?

The JMs seem to have a chromed or plated mag tube - seems like this might improve cleanup and longevity vs the original 930s?

Any chance you have a full parts replacement list over the history of the gun?

I could live with a similar experience.. ;)

At 400-500 rounds only at the moment on mine, no failures of any kind except once in handing it to a friend (single failure to feed/cycle, unknown ammo).

I've seen a few comments here and there about 'wait until it has N thousands of rounds through it,' but no one giving specifics, while we've got someone with 100k down the pipe with what seem to be relatively minor issues.

Is there a parts list we should consider picking up as spares to keep on hand?

Basically, I'm going off the following at the moment for 930s in general..

1. De-grease the heck out of it from factory.

2. Check for lip at mag tube/extension joint, bevel/file if need be to avoid possible follower hangup.

3. Check if inner larger gas system spring wears on mag tube, tweak with socket or dremel/buff sharp edges if it does.

4. Minor buff on shell stop, polish chamber.

5. Check spring length and tension, especially on non JMs (?) - seems a mixed random bag-o-springs was used for at least a while.

6. Disassemble rings from piston for cleaning, scrub/soak it + gas tube - clean every ~200 rounds for 930, possibly a bit longer for JM.

7. Run the action on the wet side, piston/gas system as dry as possible while supplying some lube. (Considering trying dry lube if I can find one truly high temp, anyone? )

Am I missing anything above?

Otherwise, seems like a few spare parts might not be a bad idea (for most guns) - anyone know which?

Great summary jtp and right on with everything I've heard. My jm has under 200 rounds but I have debated selling to buy something else with all the negative 930 talk. Id rather sell it while its worth something than keep it and have it be a lemon that's worth nothing. Cant make up my mind because some 930's run like champs and others like chumps.

I am running a 930 Patrick Flanigan. I had Mossberg build me a 24" barrel with fiber optic sites and added to the reciever. I also added a smaller mag tube to get it to 8+1.

I have run about 1000 rds through it and clean it every 250-300 rounds. Have not had an issue with it in over a year.

Point of aim at 50yds with both Fiocchi 1300ft/s 1oz slugs and Winchester 1600ft/s 1.25oz slugs is 6in high.

I run Winchester Supermatch 7.5 shot in the gun and have never had any issues.

I have not done anything to the gun and the trigger is as nice as some Benelli's that have been tuned Taran Butler. The reset gets me sometimes because it is so short.

Yes this gun was more that the JM, but it seems to have a better fitting and finish than my original 930SPX. all the trigger group and mag tube are stainless steel.

Only thing i wish i could to is lightening it up a bit, a little heavy.

This isnt a JM, and i think they made less of them but the tolerances were higher.

B

Call Remington directly and tell them the part you need. They will ship any part from the gun.

Remington is great about parts.

Mossberg is NOT great about parts.

I've heard the magic moment for the JM is around 2500 rounds.

Mine has around 3K or so and I'm trying to work thru this. Time will tell if it has a home in my safe much longer.

Seems that polishing many of the internals would speed up the process of this 2500 round number.. this is the first im hearing this myself..

Call Remington directly and tell them the part you need. They will ship any part from the gun.

Remington is great about parts.

Mossberg is NOT great about parts.

I've heard the magic moment for the JM is around 2500 rounds.

Mine has around 3K or so and I'm trying to work thru this. Time will tell if it has a home in my safe much longer.

I just polished up the extractor groove in the barrel as it was very rough on one side. I took some before and after pics ill post up tomorrow. Not sure if it helps anything but I know it won't hurt.

I have 2. One is a problem child, the other is unstoppable so far. In all fairness, the standard 930 that was heavily modified is much less reliable than the 24" JMP that I have been running for about a year now. Maintenance is what I found, and how you maintain it is the key. I found that the gas rings and pistons are the pieces that have to be focused on. My JMP has well over 7000 on it, and rarely (I cannot remember the last hiccup) does it go south.

I clean regularly, and break down fully before a match. I think that the choice of lube may also be contributing to these issues. I found that a thinner lube works better. I run 75% Syn Gear Oil and 25% Syn Trans Fluid on all of my guns. I get no carbon buildup that has to be scraped clean, it all wipes off after giving it a bath in BrakeClean!

I have a spare trigger group, as well as a supply of springs in case I need them. I found no issues with getting parts from Mossberg, but I had bought them before the shortage / panic, that may have something to do with it. They all are finiky, you just have to know how to treat them!

Its seems to me that there are 3 main issues people have with the 930 series guns.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=178449

Light primer strikes - fixed with 10/22 hammer spring

Double feed from the tube - typically fixed by polishing the shell stop as instructed by

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=15831/GunTechdetail/Fixing-A-Mossberg-930-Feed-From-The-Tube-Problem?source=CJ&ch=aff&AID=6147349

And failing to eject - ideas? I'm thinking that polishing the extractor and plunger would help along with cleaning up/polishing the extractor groove in the barrel. Also polishing the chamber should help.

If these issues were addressed I would think that the 930 would have much greater reliability. And these are all things anyone who is mechanically inclined can do themselves. I'd love to hear some expert opinions on this.