Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 die set

perazzisc3

I don't know about accuracy but I can say that I like the Redding Competition die set better than the Dillon dies. I had the Redding on my 650 and found it to be very easy to setup exactly where I wanted it. I just bought a new 550 and purchased the Dillon dies for it and it seems like I have to do alot of tweaking to get it where I want. With the Redding I could set the OAL and crimp exactly where I wanted it in a few seconds, with the Dillon it takes more time and I can't get it as precise on the seating. I do like the way the Dillon dies break down for cleaning though.

Edited by Mliebs

when it comes to semi auto pistol cartridges my first choice is Lee,they tend to on average size the cases more towards the SAMMI minimums.If properly adjusted 99% just drop in and out of the chamber checker. SJ 40

Edited by SJ 40

I use the Dillon dies because they squeeze the case down to a small diameter below the bullet (called the coke bottle shape by some) to prevent bullet setback when hitting the feed ramp and the bottom of the resizing die is large enough that the cases enter the die easily on my 550. I don't know if other dies are more accurate, but these produce very accurate ammo. I don't change the adjustment very often because I don't experiment much with different loads. I usually just run off some practice ammo and try to learn to shoot better.

If you're having trouble with varying O.A.L. you might try the Tool Head clamp kit. Cha-Lee recommended it.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

How is the fcd harmful?

I like the fcd. 100% of my ammo chamber checks perfectly. However, from my research, there appears to be the possibility that when loading moly or lead bullets into thick brass like pmc, the fcd sizing ring can actually swage the bullet to smaller size, resulting in leading. I loaded all my moly bullets into federal cases that are pretty thin (the fcd barely kisses them) and had no leading problems, but I specifically chose those cases because they were the thinnest I had on hand.

Lee four die set. 1st stage die sizes closer to the extractor groove than some other brands and a good design on the primer punch.

Seating die has a small adjustment knob so you don't have to break the die loose for small adjustments. Usually don't use the factory crimp die as such just taper crimp with it.

Lee's nut's are weak might order a set of 1in. nuts from Dillon. Usually lock the first stage die from the bottom on my 550 and 650 presses.

Problems with OAL for a few bucks you can send the bullet your using to Lee and they will cut an insert for that bullet.

How is the fcd harmful?

I like the fcd. 100% of my ammo chamber checks perfectly. However, from my research, there appears to be the possibility that when loading moly or lead bullets into thick brass like pmc, the fcd sizing ring can actually swage the bullet to smaller size, resulting in leading. I loaded all my moly bullets into federal cases that are pretty thin (the fcd barely kisses them) and had no leading problems, but I specifically chose those cases because they were the thinnest I had on hand.

Ok that makes sense. I never crimp with the fcd on plated bullets, never used lead yet. I usually taper crimp with the seating die and use the fcd as a post sizer so every round will fit in my Wilson case gauge

I've had good luck with the Lee 40 caliber dies. I also replaced the cheap rings with a set of Hornady rings from Midway. I load lead bullets and always use the factory crimp die to close the bell around the case.

thanks for the intel.

a little unsure about factory crimp on the .40 cal

from my experience, if you reload jacketed bullets, you won't need the FCD, but to load lead you need to bell the cases more and the FCD closes the bell around the bullet.

I know some of the bullet mfgs will say not to use the fcd on their plated or lead bullets for some reason. On plated I just use it to post size and not crimp at all for fear of distorting the bullet

I know some of the bullet mfgs will say not to use the fcd on their plated or lead bullets for some reason. On plated I just use it to post size and not crimp at all for fear of distorting the bullet

When using it with lead or platted bullets one runs the risk of squeezing down the bullet diameter,not something I care to do. SJ 40 Edited by SJ 40

I bought the Lee 4 Die set and turned the FCD into my pushthrough die for bulged brass.

All my brass goes through this die before loading. Some really need it some don't but I have never had a chambering issue with my Trojan (from bulged brass) or my M&Ps.

I do the brass prep on a cheap Lee single stage then run them through the three die set. I may seperate the Crimp step from the seating die as I have an empty station at the end.

• 4 weeks later...

Using the Lee carbide 4 die set for .40 here.

It sizes the glock'd brass good enough for me and the FCD doesn't cause me any issues with moly, but I barely add any crimp to my rounds - just enough to help prevent setback.