Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Raising the White Flag

Piney

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wellll.....

Finally got a chance to go pick it up from the Smithy... He said that the ramp was dirty-- duh,, its my Glock LOL. I'd cleaned all of it and the ramp with a brush and cleaner well I thought in my first attempt at correcting the problem. He also polished the ramp to a mirror shine. He said he shot all thee sets of ammo I left --around 30 rounds or so and it fed fine, He also suggested I shorten my load just a bit. I've been using 1.15 OAL+- a bit.

Got a chance to get it out today. I shot 6-7 mags at the plate rack so it got fairly hot. First 5 or so were fine-- Then-- its back-- same feed problems. I tried the slightly shorter loads, some from an older batch and some commercial 115g. Once it starts -- it does it after every shot.

He didnt have a new mag release. I'm going to call around town and see if any place close has one to try.

So-- what would cause it to become troublesome once it gets good and hot ? Surely its not dirty again after < 100- rounds . I'm going to call and visit with the gentleman tomorrow and see if he has any more thoughts.

Edited by Piney

I don't know if you're willing to go this route but try a metal uncaptured guide rod. Maybe the plastic rod is getting gouged & stuck. Where the retaining pin for the guide rod is, does it look like the spring might be getting stuck there? You're not using a shock buff or anything like that are you?

I have encountered a very similar problem, although with a G35. Shooting Remington/UMC bulk-packed ammo, the gun would eventually just "gum up" after about 100 rounds. I thought that the ammunition was just producing too much soot for the Glock to digest it, so I stopped using UMC, and the problem disappeared.

You might see if you can use a different powder (more easily said than done these days, admittedly) that produces less soot.

Chris

Have you tried cleaning the chamber EXTREMELY WELL or have you tried a softer guide rod spring?? I had some issues with feeding when I neglected to clean my KKM barrel's chamber on my G34. When the round would fire, the following round wouldn't go into battery 100%. It would get stuck in the chamber with the nose of the bullet touching the top. Sometimes it would be about 75% of the way into battery.. This was because when the round would fire and the case expands, the spent case would stick in the chamber which would cause the slide to slow down on it's way back. I realized this while unloading my gun. The cartirdge in the chamber (unfired) would be very hard to extract by hand. Plus I think the dirty chamber made it difficult for a new cartridge to enter the chamber smoothly.. I only shoot my reloads BTW (Berry's Bullets 9mm 124gr RN, 1.140 AOL).

I was having feeding issues every 10-20 rounds until I hooked a brass cleaning brush onto a power drill and cleaned out the chamber with it. I had zero jams right after I did that. I think I went through 300 rounds without a jam. Now I clean my gun (and barrel) before every match.

Your problem may be solved by using a softer guide rod also. Ask around in your local club for a 13lb or even 11lb spring and guide rod setup. This may help. I use an 11lb spring in my G34 and hardly ever have jams.. I'm not sure if it is beating up my frame or not, but Ilike to think of it as an added cost for maintainence..

Hope this helps, and please let us know what your gunsmith says...

If you are using factory rounds and everything is pretty much stock in the gun and still getting the jams...I think it's time to send it back to Glock...

My round for all my 9mm Glocks are 1.2 OAL+-

Are there any non-Glock parts in this gun at this point? If there are, this is potentially an exercise in futility. What I would recommend is to stop, drop, and roll over to a proper certified Glock armorer for an assessment. The idea of someone who isn't trained to work on Glocks polishing parts gives me the cold and pricklies as popular as I know that is for people to do.

Something that you can try, return the gun to its factory configuration and shoot it. If it's shooting well, then replace ONE item at the time and try it after each change.

ONE only.

Piney:

What load are you using? For some loads 1.115" can be too long but 1.15" is too long.

What manual are you using?

I shoot 1.150-1.160 in my CZ and in my wifes G17 and have no problems. Matter of fact, the CZ has never had a malfunction, after 5000 rounds.

I had a somewhat similar problem in my Steyr .40, which admittedly is not a Glock. In the end, I surmised that I had gunked up the chamber from a case of Wolf steel case ammo. The problem was intermittent, and occurred with all tried factory ammo after I had shot about half the case of Wolf. I cured it with a felt Dremel wheel in the chamber. That was years ago, and has not re-occurred. It stopped immediately after Dremel-polishing the chamber, which i assume cleared out layered polymer/lacquer from steel cases. The chamber was not visibly fouled before I polished.

That's all I have.

Same load-- same bullet, same powder and charge--same OAL as in the past. Stock springs in pistol and mags.

I ordered a new mag release catch but haven't been able to locate a spring . Haven't had a chance to go shoot after the new release. Old one didnt look worn so still ???

Stock rounds are 1.15 OAL and they don'f feed well either.

Plans are to load some a bit shorter-- 1.145 and 1.14 then try to find some time the coming week go go try some more with then new release.

Did you check to see if the slide is cracked on the right side above the serial number. You mentioned it

shoots fine when cold, when it heats up is when the problem starts. A crack slide could do this.

To check it field strip the slide, and hold it with the serial number facing you and see if it bends.

Like breaking a stick.

Other than that, send it back to the factory explaining the problem. Hopefully, the Factory Armorers can

duplicate the issue and fix it.

Good luck

Finally-- got time to get back on this--

Guys at the range all had Glock Armorer on their cards-- so we looked through it before I shot. Their only comments were 1) consider polishing the top of the feed area and 2) "..that's a lot of rounds through it....so maybe its just tired and needs a trip back to Glock". Its probably got 30-35k or so through it's lifetime.

Once I found one locally, I replaced the mag release. I checked and the mag seemed to "wiggle" the same old vs new release.

It seems to began to feed bad once it gets hot.

Coincidence or cause ? So--

I shot 30 rnds (3 different mags) of my "standard" reloads (124g Precision Delta, 1.15 OAL running at around 1035 fps if I recall)-- no jams

I shot 30 rnds of slightly shorter (1.15 vs 1.144)- 1 failure to feed as initially.

I shot 30 rnds of out of the box- no jam.

Surely its hot by now eh ?

Back to 60 rnds of original loads - no jams

So-- perhaps the mag release did the trick. It didn't hurt replacing the springs and a good cleaning. I'll know for sure the weekend of the 6th when I go shoot at a match,

My OAL for my glock is 1.135. At 1.150 the nose of the bullets were rubbing and catching on the front of the magazine and getting stuck momentarily. Glocks do like to be cleaned after 500 rounds or so. Too strong of a recoil spring along with a weak load and or an OAL slightly too long will also cause problems like you have described. Shorter OAL, 14 or 15 lb recoil spring and 130+ PF loads = obvious and easy fix. I seriously doubt all of your mag springs went bad at the same time. If the mag release was bad, mags would fall out.

Look for the obvious causes first. After you fix those, then look for the "weird". Once at a gun shop I handled a new glock 9mm with the wrong ejector installed at the factory.

Good luck!

Glocks do like to be cleaned after 500 rounds or so.

My Glocks are lucky if it sees a cleaning after 500 rounds...my usual cleaning regiment is before a major match. Other than that, I clean when I get time...which is not much...

I probably have a whole lot more than 35K through my main Glock and never experience the problem that you encountered...

I have to agree with Red Ryder that a strong recoil spring combined with a weak mag spring will give you the problem that you have. However, it riddles me that it waits 'til it heats up before it starts to jam. It should be doing that cold.

Kept forgetting...but finally checked...my AOL is 1.12.

*--snip-- Glocks do like to be cleaned after 500 rounds or so. --snip

clean em ? 500 rnds ? Bwahhhahhhaaa...... Sorry couldn't resist.... :roflol:

I have yet to say THANKS to all who've been posting-- so Thanks Guys ! Updates as they occur--

Edited by Piney