Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Raising the White Flag

Piney

*--snip-- Glocks do like to be cleaned after 500 rounds or so. --snip

clean em ? 500 rnds ? Bwahhhahhhaaa...... Sorry couldn't resist.... :roflol:

I have yet to say THANKS to all who've been posting-- so Thanks Guys ! Updates as they occur--

I thought that statement may be controversial. But I will clarify. I Like to clean my Glocks after 500 rounds or so.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I clean all of my pistols after I use them whether it's just a 100 round local match or something more substantial with a higher round count. It's a habit that I learned early in my law enforcement career. You shoot and you clean your gun right after you shoot. Period. :)

My grandfather was a B-24 pilot during World War II and one of the many things he taught me before he passed on was that I should take care of my equipment so that it will take care of me. I think his experience during the war with bombers really impacted how he viewed his relationship between his tools and him for the rest of his life.

My relatively new Glock 34 has done an admirable job keeping me out of trouble in some pretty awful conditions so far including mud and rain so I try and keep up my end of the bargin by taking extra care of it.

My poor Beretta 92FS went through all sorts of craziness with me including a police academy and all sorts of patrol related adventures so I make sure I take extra good care of it also.

Update-- shot an IDA classifier ( 90 rnds) and a 5 stage match today. 1 jam out of 150+ rounds so not too bad. So-- replacing the various springs and finally the mag release fixed it. It outta be good for a few more rounds.

Thanks again to all who tossed in comments and suggestions--

Update-- shot an IDA classifier ( 90 rnds) and a 5 stage match today. 1 jam out of 150+ rounds so not too bad. So-- replacing the various springs and finally the mag release fixed it. It outta be good for a few more rounds.

1 jam out of 150+ rounds = unacceptable. I would accept one light strike in 150 rds from a revolver & reloads, but would not accept 1:150 jams from my autopistols, & I don't think you should either.

1 jam out of 150+ rounds = unacceptable. I would accept one light strike in 150 rds from a revolver & reloads, but would not accept 1:150 jams from my autopistols, & I don't think you should either.

+1. No Jams from a semi stock Glock!

It's absolutely wretched reliability especially from a Glock. You need to keep digging into this.

I still think the best course of action is to bring the pistol to an experienced Glock armorer. It's even better if this Glock armorer is an actual gunsmith, but what I have found is that not all gunsmiths are created equal and some are very good at certain things and not so much at others. I've been burned on that before so I've learned my lesson.

If everything on this Glock is stock and it's having these problems with standard factory ammunition, it's time for a phone call to the Glock people so you can follow whatever recommendations they have which might include just sending it off to be fixed.

I have run various Glocks for years in competition have had two mechanical failures one was on a 21sf with the ambi mag release it broke and jammed the release open so mags dropped out - comical on the clock (Glock replaced the gun with a non ambi) the other was a high round count 17 the trigger spring broke and had to be replaced - found the attachment holes were sharp and needed to be beveled. That is the kind of mechanical reliability I expect from a Glock - thousands of rounds no jams and no gun failures - the ammo reliability is on me (reloads) and is closer to one failure in 5 thousand (including practice).

Do not settle for less with a Glock.

Edited by Solvability

Any kind of jam or failure to feed is unacceptable!!!

I had a G35 that started giving me problems like yours a couple of years ago, so instead of wasting my time and spending money on it, I stripped it down, put all my stock (mostly brand new) parts back on it, and sold it!! I think I had to spend another $150 for a new gun, and I was set.. PROBLEM SOLVED!! Replaced the few aftermarket parts and I had my gun back running flawlessly.. At this point, that may be the best way to solve this problem, make it someone else's..

FYI, the person I sold it to knew of the problem I was having...

That's amazing to me. I have a G34 that I've owned for at least 8 years. Took it to the steel plate match, tried everything to make it fail, and I 've never had even one ftf in at least 3,000 rounds. I don't have any aftermarket parts on it except for an extended slide release. Good luck.

... At this point, that may be the best way to solve this problem, make it someone else's.....

Stay classy, brother

You would be surprized how many people were ok with buying a gun that is known to jam. I gave a full disclaimer on the gun. I wish I still had my "For Sale" posting. Something like "G35 for sale... Warning, do not defend your life with this gun".. It sold within a few days. I even told the guy I would except a return.