Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire vs centerfire shooting order

danjordan78

Wondering how many people shoot a different order in rimfire vs centerfire? Low ready vs a draw could influence some decisions as someone mentioned in another thread. Is there a danger of getting mixed up switching back and forth if you shoot both guns in the same day? Or do most keep the same order for consistency and muscle memory?

I shoot SC the same order whether centerfire or rimfire. I want my shooting to be subconscious. If you shoot two different ways it has to become a conscious thought process which will be much slower.

I am not saying this is any better, but, pending the stage I do not always shoot RF and CF in the same order. I may start on a different plate from low ready than draw because of gun position in relation to the first plate to be engaged. However, when I do this , I do not shoot them back to back. This break gives me time to get my thoughts together for the different way to engage the plates.

I shoot SC the same order whether centerfire or rimfire. I want my shooting to be subconscious. If you shoot two different ways it has to become a conscious thought process which will be much slower.

+1

My handloads smoke a little. The only time I've switched up shooting order was in a bay where the sun and wind caused the smoke to drift into my line of sight and interfere a little. Shot targets downwind to upwind that stage that day.

• 1 month later...

I always shoot RF 2nd if shooting a CF pistol also. If shooting two of the same CF or RF I shoot Open first and Limited second.

I shoot the 22 and the 9mm both each match. Great practice and using my M&P Pro CORE and my M&P 22 its just about the same thing, at least as close as I can get it.

Our club requires 22 to be shot low ready and from a neutral starting place all shooters will start from. I shoot both guns in the same order on targets. I would not mind the draw but to many have 22's that there is not a great holster available. Hope this helps.

HAPPY 4 TH

:eatdrink:

Just depends on where they set up the low ready point. A good example is Accelerator. The 18x24 is right there from low ready, and you can get your first shot off around .60 on it, or do around 1.00-1.10 on the 8 in plate next to it....just what you are comfortable doing. Play with it, write down times, figure out what is better for you!

DougC

It would be interesting to pull some film (if anybody has it) of a shooter like BJ Norris, Max Michel, or KC Eusubio to see what order they shoot their rimfire open pistol in vs. open centerfire pistol.

For me, it's same order. FWIW, when I shoot SC my concentration is rimfire based because I prefer to shoot the rifle. I rarely shoot centerfire in it anymore, but I do sometimes and too much thinking screws me up so I do the same for both. Basically, I don't shoot centerfire enough to warrant a big change like that.

Having acknowledged that, it seems to me that while repetition goes a long way in SC (though I don't want to label it as muscle memory because that implies a lack of deliberation... ie, aiming), I simply like my order which has been derived at through careful study and experience. This isn't to say that I'm not willing to try other things-- I have and do, and it's the reason I shoot the order I shoot. At this point, I can't imagine being presented with a compelling enough reason to change it simply because of a flag start vs. a holster draw. For instance, when I've timed myself in rimfire rifle practice on Accelerator with my first shot going to Plate 1 vs. Plate 2, the Plate 1 option ends up being slightly faster, and that is my centerfire start plate as well. Is it faster simply because I'm used to it, or is it the better choice regardless of start position because it's a superior order? I truly can't say... but I know what my personal results are. The same has worked out for the other stations when I've experimented with them. YMMV.

Secondarilly, If running two different orders is in fact faster, I think that CUMMULATIVE seconds could potentially be lost in the overall time through a second's hesitation here and there on counting runs if you accidentally go to the wrong order and stumble over yourself. It's amazing how small mistakes make big differences. For instance, in the last big SC I shot I had one bad run on Outer Limits with a miss, then I had a misfire on the last run while making an otherwise great time; I'm sure that misfire (certainly not my miss, ha!) cost me three positions in the overall. Same would happen if a couple times you started shooting one order, thought twice and bobbled... even partial seconds add up to full seconds, which add up to lost positions.

A better shooter's mileage will probably vary!

• 2 weeks later...

I understand new shooters not changing from rimfire to centerfire/draw, but you are giving up time by not using the low ready aiming point to your advantage. Like a good shooter I know say "If your not in the top few you are just making a donation"

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On any "low ready" gun I shoot the same order no matter what gun, centerfire, rimfire pistol or rifle. I do shoot a couple stages different when I shoot a holster drawn centerfire gun, so I rarely shoot a low ready gun and a holster gun in the same match. On the rare occasion that I do, I always space them apart and don't shoot them back to back.