Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Holsters

Tom C

Ok, so much for my Barney load question. Now let's talk holsters. The "current" rule book says that, if you can see light between the belt and the holster (bad paraphrase on my part) it's not legal. I have a Blackhawk holster that has a gap between the body of the mag and the belt loop attachment. It's a small gap but it seems it might be "illegal". Any thoughts before I go buy another holster?

Oh...The "new draft" version seems to not have that light throught the gap stipulation but who knows when it will become the law of the land.

The Dowel method has described in the draft rule book is pretty much what they been using for a long while. The current rule book says 3/4 of an inch and the dowel is the "tool" they use to measure that. There is a good thread on the IPDA forum about this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use comp-tac too but find it ironic that no competition gear is allowed in IDPA... I always wondered what the "comp" stood for...

Hah good one. I guess IDPA pays more attention to the 'tac' part.

• 2 weeks later...

I use comp-tac too but find it ironic that no competition gear is allowed in IDPA... I always wondered what the "comp" stood for...

That's quite true, gave me a good laugh. I do use Comp-tac for IDPA though, it's great gear.

I use Comp-Tac gear and have from almost the beginning of Greg's company. The holster is "comp" IF AND WHEN used in USPSA and similar shooting sports. The holster metamorphs into "tac" IF AND WHEN used in IDPA or used for concealed carry.

AND KNOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY

That's quite true, gave me a good laugh. I do use Comp-tac for IDPA though, it's great gear.

Yeah it's about all I use as well. Good stuff.

I just got a Comp-tac holster. What's the paddle for?

to make it a "paddle" holster?

*sigh*

I'll re-phrase that. Why use the "paddle"? Or, why use a paddle holster?

Slip the paddle inside the pants, holster stays out. It is supposed to be an easy-on, easy-off feature. In practice, I don't find it so wonderful, and when I used one at matches, I slipped the paddle b/t the belt & pants, instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Comp-Tac sponsors IDPA, so anything they make is good to go. IDPA tends to bend the rules for sponsors gear and such. Heck, just look at the Competitive Concealment vests. :goof: I use mine for all of the shooting games. Great product!

Ok, so much for my Barney load question. Now let's talk holsters. The "current" rule book says that, if you can see light between the belt and the holster (bad paraphrase on my part) it's not legal. I have a Blackhawk holster that has a gap between the body of the mag and the belt loop attachment. It's a small gap but it seems it might be "illegal". Any thoughts before I go buy another holster?

Oh...The "new draft" version seems to not have that light throught the gap stipulation but who knows when it will become the law of the land.

Blade-Tech.. yawn! Boring, run of the mill IDPA legal kydex holsters. large variety.

Comp-Tac (IDPA premier sponsor) good stuff, great company, No holster for IDPA K-frame or any K-frame. Boo!

Ready Tactical. www.cpswa.com Great guy, contributor to the sports, and best holster and very, very best magazine pouch in my opinion.

Ready Tactical. www.cpswa.com Great guy, contributor to the sports, and best holster and very, very best magazine pouch in my opinion.

Is that a new website? Or a typo in the link?

I have the Comp-tac dual mag pouch. Looking for a different one since this one holds onto the mags if I don't pull it strait up. I even have it extremely loose.

Is that a new website? Or a typo in the link?

I have the Comp-tac dual mag pouch. Looking for a different one since this one holds onto the mags if I don't pull it strait up. I even have it extremely loose.

Here is what you need. Chris Patty is great to deal with.

http://www.cpwsa.com/ready_tactical.htm

This link works.

http://www.cpwsa.com/

Edited by RePete

I'll re-phrase that. Why use the "paddle"? Or, why use a paddle holster?

The only advantage to a paddle holster is that it is easier to put on and take off. They typically aren't as secure, tend to move around more, and tend to be harder to conceal.