Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Normal to see this amount of brass on wheel.........

chopps

All of a sudden I am seeing alot more brass and allthough it may be right just wanted to check.

Berrys 115 gr bullet 1.100 Overall length.356 bullet diameter & .372/.373 crimp.

Thanks for the help and advice

Also this was after about 400 bullets loaded.

post-47313-0-56399000-1367796091_thumb.j

post-47313-0-26474800-1367809473_thumb.j

post-47313-0-00054600-1367852968_thumb.j

Edited by chopps

Is that new brass? If it is, you might get that much shaving after 400 rds. Try running the new stuff through your case cleaner or lube it to stop the friction that can occur with new brass.

UMMMM.......That's NOT normal. I would take my dies apart and see if they are REALLY dirty or something.

can you show us a side view of a belled case?

Yes I posted in in original post

I've never seen that us it from the bullet or the case?

I think its from the brass where it pushs the bullet to correct depth.

Is that new brass? If it is, you might get that much shaving after 400 rds. Try running the new stuff through your case cleaner or lube it to stop the friction that can occur with new brass.

No range brass

Edited by chopps

Too much bell. Funnel going in too far. Adjust it out and this will go away.

+1 Yep. Noticed that today on my press and I backed off the belling about a quarter turn and it stopped. Also it became much eaiser to run the press.

I get a little of that, but that amount looks like someone hasn't chamfered their cases ever or their expander is VERY rough.

I'm a nit-picker, but it's a shell plate...

Too much bell. Funnel going in too far. Adjust it out and this will go away.

I adjusted the funnel so the bell was slightly smaller now.

Chopps I meant without a bullet in there. I'm thinking too much belling.

I meant a side view right after the powder drop

Added a pic below to show what you asked.

:)

do you use case lube ?

No I use to and might start again now.

Going to load another 200 rounds today and see what happens now.

post-47313-0-80237700-1367853147_thumb.j

Edited by chopps

Too much crimp for sure. Set it for around .377 and you will have better accuracy...

DougC

Will do ( right @ .376/.377 now ) and I adjusted the funnel and cleaned the dies and MUCH less brass now thanks to everyone for the help.

I load on a single stage press but I can say I had an issue with that using a lyman M expanding die, and a redding taper crimp die in .40 and though it was normal. The savings were definitely coming from the taper crimp step. I just started loading 9mm as well with a similar lyman M expanding die but with a hornady taper crimp die and i can put as much crimp as i want with out a single shaving coming off the brass. I contacted redding and they said i could send the die back to have it re finished, but I haven't done it yet. I could see excessive expansion on the powder drop stage causing the shavings to be worse, but with a good taper crimp die, I wouldn't think you should get any shavings. I have a 650 on the way, and have researched it a lot, but if there is something I don't know about it that makes my comment irrelevant, then just ignore it.

I load on a single stage press but I can say I had an issue with that using a lyman M expanding die, and a redding taper crimp die in .40 and though it was normal. The savings were definitely coming from the taper crimp step. I just started loading 9mm as well with a similar lyman M expanding die but with a hornady taper crimp die and i can put as much crimp as i want with out a single shaving coming off the brass. I contacted redding and they said i could send the die back to have it re finished, but I haven't done it yet. I could see excessive expansion on the powder drop stage causing the shavings to be worse, but with a good taper crimp die, I wouldn't think you should get any shavings. I have a 650 on the way, and have researched it a lot, but if there is something I don't know about it that makes my comment irrelevant, then just ignore it.

Besides cleaning the dies I polished the inside of the die and get rid of all the build up.