Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Aftec or not to Aftec

Spray_N_Prey

Ok I've shot all divisions at one time or another and now i'm going to dive into open class in hopes of making master.

Here's what I've got. An older style 38 SC SVI frame with an STI slide. I bought the gun several years ago and it 99% of the time runs perfect. I have had a few jams but found out that I somehow got some 38 super brass in there and it wasn't really the guns fault (or at least that's what I think). Since then I check my brass head stamps a little better.

Long story short, I really haven't had much problem with the gun the way it's set up. Should I change the extractor out or leave things the way they are?

Is an Aftec a drop-in part or does it need tweaked to be reliable? just not wanting to run into problems down the road and am looking for the most reliable extractor.

Thanks,

Shawn

Buy an extra firing pin stop and fit that one to the Aftec, so you keep old extractor and firing pin stop thats in the gun as a set in case the aftec gives you a problem or breaks somehow.

To Aftec or not to Aftec, that is the question.

Personally I like the Aftec because I can adjust the extractor tension without bringing it to Matt Mclearn or trying to bend something myself.

I'm not really a gunsmith. I disassemble my guns with rocks and screwdrivers.

If you aren't having any real problems I would be tempted to just leave it alone.

I think they can work well (and obviously do for a lot of folks), but they aren't always an "out of the box, into the gun, and it will run 100%" solution to feed or extraction problems. I have had excellent results with the traditional style extractor and learning how to fit and adjust a traditional extractor isn't that big of a deal. I have been working with a new gun that has an Aftec and had to tinker with it a little to get it to run 100%. Not a huge deal, but not an out of the box solution in my case, either.

So, pick your poison.

I will probably just buy the EGW FPS that way I can keep this extractor (that works perfect) as a backup or if the Aftec has problems like some people claim.

I just know that I'm tempting fate. I have an open gun that runs flawless (when I keep the 38 super brass out of it) and now I'm going to go monkeying around with it and I'm sure the open gun gods will punish me.

Go through your brass and only use the Starline. TJ & Lapua brass can cause ejection problems. When 38 SC extractors are setup they are setup for 38 SC Starline brass. Look at the link below around the middle of the page. IMHO you should just use Starline 38SC brass & I think you won't have extraction problems unless you limp wrist the gun. I have never had an extraction problem with Starline 38SC brass. I have had extraction problems from time to time with TJ & Lapua brass.

http://www.38super.net/Pages/Brass.html#Anchor-47857

There is an old saying "IF it ain't broke-Don't fix it" Having said that:

I would think the objective is to get an open gun running 100% of the time. An AFTEC is a great choice and can be installed by just about any novice. If you install the 38/9 AFTEC--You need to run 38SC brass only. Installing only requires a little radius on the firing pin stop (very easy to do). The nice thing about AFTECs--You don't have to fiddle with the tension and you don't have to pay $$$ to a smith to tune your extractor.

All my 1911/2011 have AFTECs.

I just got done doing the voodoo dance around my gun w/aftec. It could be the greatest thing since 10 rd mags. If what you got works, dont play silly games with it.

The AFTEC requires proper fitting. I have 3 open guns with AFTEC, one now on its 3rd slide still has the original AFTEC, with slides typically lasting 50 to 70k rounds. I replace the springs only when I lose them during cleaning, or when a new slide is fit to the gun. The only real thing you need to be concerned with is keeping the extractor tunnel clean, if it gets gooped up the extractor will be too tight the rounds won't crawl up the breach face.

At a match you won't find me at the safe table trying to bend an extractor. I've seen a lot of this, some at major matches, when I see this it reminds me of how much I appreciate not having that problem. When I decided to build a new gun, guess what I put an AFTEC in it.

I've had two failures to extract, both were steel cased 9 mm brass washed loaded at 189pf yes it was at the Gator Classic and that was my CRONO score, I now check everthing with a magnet, in both cases the aftec ripped the rim off the case. I also now download a bit in winter since Silouette is reverse temp sensative.

If you are having extracor issues then AFTEC, if it is working I wouldn't fix it.

• 2 months later...