Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot Movement

slinginlead

Ok, I know this is a subjective subject, but I am wondering if you can tell exactly how much motion you see in your dot. I viewed some videos here in the forum and their dod moved off the glass.

I seem to see mine moving from the chest to the top of the head and back down. I went from 8.2 grns to true blue to 8.0 and it seems like it moves more. I did have a PF of 174 when I went to 8.0 it went down to 169 and had a SD of 11.

I am switching to N105 as soon as Fed Ex gets here tomorrow.

Also do you think I cut down my gasses and therefore caused the more movement in the gun?

Thanks a lot

Certainly a possibility. Comps cant do their job without plenty of gas. Plenty of open shooters have super-high PF's because that is where they feel like they get the most stable dot characteristics.

the dot in my lightish .38SC Open gun goes from the center to about 3/4 of the way up. also using N105. Love the powder but be prepared to stuff a lot of it into the case. 10.0 grains with a 125 grn jhp. would get me in the range of 172-175pf. at lower power factors I got a little more dot movement, so seems like the comp in my gun needed more gas to work as others have mentioned.

Edited by blaster113

I have had similar results by adding more powder. With a Bedel TI comp on a 38SC it was a beast then I added another .5gr to push the pf past 175 and it tamed down. In my 9 major by accident I went from 7.7gr of Silhouette to 8.1gr w/124gr and very nice result. Now to back down .1 gr till I find the sweet spot.

N105 is just hard to get and it doesn't come in 8# kegs, AA#7 shoots similar easy to find and cheap, a bit dirty but so what. The N105 a bit flatter but harder slap in the palm.

Try a lighter bullet with more powder, or go to drilling holes and more powder.

I have a heavy gun and a light gun, bull vs cone and the bull is flat as hell but the cone bucks a bit, the cone gun is faster inspite of that so use the timer to test your theory, don't go on feel alone, it can take you down the wrong path, like the feel of a woman.

7.0 gn of WAC made major for me. I pushed it incrementally to 7.7. The difference in FPS between 7.5 and 7.7 was 12 fps, so I was just blowing powder out the barrel. Settled at 7.5, 179PF. As my charge went up, the dot settled down. Kaci C told me she is running 190 PF (115s and HS6) cause it tames the SNOT out of the gun/dot.

7.0 gn of WAC made major for me. I pushed it incrementally to 7.7. The difference in FPS between 7.5 and 7.7 was 12 fps, so I was just blowing powder out the barrel. Settled at 7.5, 179PF. As my charge went up, the dot settled down. Kaci C told me she is running 190 PF (115s and HS6) cause it tames the SNOT out of the gun/dot.

Hello: If she is running the power factor up that high then she needs a better designed comp. Some comps are far better than others :devil: It just takes time to find the right combination. Thanks, Eric

Hello: If she is running the power factor up that high then she needs a better designed comp. Some comps are far better than others :devil: It just takes time to find the right combination. Thanks, Eric

Being new to open, I have not tested all of the combos out. (which I know from reading around that you have tried most of them). She is running a Limcat, dont know what his guns like. I read that you were going to do a bunch of comp testing a few years ago, any chance you could post up the link to your results? I am going to drop the Powder/PF down to about 170 and re-evaluate my relults.

Akai 9 major

5.4 SVI bull, 1 hole, shoto comp

same here 9 major WAC 7.5 is the sweet spot, PF was 177 in NM and 176 in colorado

1.175 AOL

WSRP

PT Banshee Burkett Comp

img2644e.jpg

Edited by OpenDot