Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where did the "Classic" Targets come from.

GigG

I've been away from the sport for some time and was wondering where the Classic targets came from? When I shot in the 80's and early 90's we had what they are calling the "Metric" targets, (We just called them IPSC/USPSA targets) at the time.) The larger Pepper Poppers and I seem to remember the smaller ones showing up at one of the last nationals I shot.

I can understand the logic for politically correct reasons not to have a target with what is obviously a head on it. But why are they called classic?

A number of countries banned shooting at humanoid shaped targets and so IPSC developed the turtle shaped or "Classic" target in response and they made it the only target that can be used in IPSC matches. I have no idea why they decided to call it a Classic but then again I dont understand most Europeans either.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

At the time I think they were trying to label it in a way that made us look like we always shot those and the targets with the heads were the "option" target. Basically it came from the attempt to sell IPSC to the Olympic committee which failed anyways. We were also told at the time that it was an alternative target and they had no intention of removing the "Metric" target from the sport, which of course they did a short time later.

A number of countries banned shooting at humanoid shaped targets and so IPSC developed the turtle shaped or "Classic" target in response and they made it the only target that can be used in IPSC matches. I have no idea why they decided to call it a Classic but then again I dont understand most Europeans either.

Brian

I think it started in France. The same place where we get the surrender start position!

At the time I think they were trying to label it in a way that made us look like we always shot those and the targets with the heads were the "option" target. Basically it came from the attempt to sell IPSC to the Olympic committee which failed anyways. We were also told at the time that it was an alternative target and they had no intention of removing the "Metric" target from the sport, which of course they did a short time later.

hello i ask Mr. Vince Pinto on this one and he tell me this words -

post-3515-0-38445400-1367086098_thumb.jp

Classic = Turtle

Metric = Humanoid

I don't mind the target, I'll shoot about anything, but I hate the name "Classic".

It is the only paper target IPSC uses now. USPSA uses Classic and the Metric.

What should USPSA call them?

What if we changed the Classic to Pure Classic? Then we could abbreviate it...properly? :)

I don't know what we could change the Metric name to? Standard? USPSA? I do find that is is more functional and utilitarian, as well as valid and practical. The heads do droop in the rain, but you can always cut off the head. Or, in USPSA, you can hang the target upside down. Neither of those two things are possible with IPSC.

What should USPSA call them?

What if we changed the Classic to Pure Classic? Then we could abbreviate it...properly? :)

I don't know what we could change the Metric name to? Standard? USPSA? I do find that is is more functional and utilitarian, as well as valid and practical. The heads do droop in the rain, but you can always cut off the head. Or, in USPSA, you can hang the target upside down. Neither of those two things are possible with IPSC.

How about "America .... @#%$ Yeah!" for the Metrics :)

And I kinda like "Turtle Targets" for the weirdly shaped Amoebas.

I love the classic targets... maybe not the name though. I too get confused over which is which. I hate the metric targets in the way they score the head shots. IMO it's almost luck to get 2As vs AB for example. Head shot should count as one scoring zone IMO.

I love the classic targets... maybe not the name though. I too get confused over which is which. I hate the metric targets in the way they score the head shots. IMO it's almost luck to get 2As vs AB for example. Head shot should count as one scoring zone IMO.

Luck? Try this: Set up a target, and shoot a ten round group at ten yards using the upper A zone as your point of aim. Get all ten in the head box, but some out of the A/not touching the perf -- keep practicing that. Get them all in,move the target back two yards, rinse and repeat. Have misses on the head, move the target closer.

Spend 200 rounds doing this, with perfect attention -- and you'll know how to make that shot....

Then adapt string 1-4 of the IDPA classifier to USPSA targets-- set up three targets at 7 yards, one 4, one 5, and one 6 feet tall. On the buzzer draw and shoot three Alphas, two to the body, one to the head, on one target only. Alternate targets. Get to a point where you can do that ok, then draw and shoot 6 alphas -- two to each targets head. Get good at that, step back a couple of yards and start over.

Spend 4-5 practice sessions and ~ 1,000 rounds on this and you'll learn all kinds of things about shooting -- and you won't fear the upper the upper A/B panel.... :-)

attachicon.gifmr.pinto.jpg

It would be cool to just have Vince come around to correct Pat instead of doing it via proxy. I think Vince would add a LOT to this (or any) forum.

attachicon.gifmr.pinto.jpg

It would be cool to just have Vince come around to correct Pat instead of doing it via proxy. I think Vince would add a LOT to this (or any) forum.

I would like it too. Unfortunately he's so busy on the GV forum (he has to personally approve about half the posts that people make) that he has pretty much no time for other internet stuff.

I'd be willing to entertain Vince's argument if he were to come here and make it himself....

hello, i don't want be delivery boy any more :) but here is last word from Mr. Pinto

vp.jpg

post-3515-0-92697500-1368027038_thumb.jp

I'd be willing to entertain Vince's argument if he were to come here and make it himself....

hello, i don't want be delivery boy any more :) but here is last word from Mr. Pinto

attachicon.gifvp.jpg

Yeah, good point. Vince clearly does not have the available time to read the dozens of IPSC forums all over the world, or post on them for that matter.

Yeah, good point. Vince clearly does not have the available time to read the dozens of IPSC forums all over the world, or post on them for that matter.

I've always known Vince to be well read. ??

attachicon.gifvp.jpg

That's what I've been saying all along. Vince has to personally approve most people's comments on GV so he doesn't have time to post elsewhere.

And please, if everyone could direct all IPSC-related commentary to Vince's own personal forum so he can effectively moderate any dissension it would be appreciated.

I've always know Vince to be well read. ??

He responds when people send him questions, that is all. I mean, can you imagine the amount of work it would take to follow all the IPSC forums in the world, make accounts on them, post information, and follow up on questions? It would almost make you insane to do that.