Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do with HI-Cap mags if you move to a Unfriendly State

I just was wondering I live in the HI-Cap friendly states and often have to move around the country so my questions is.

1. If I move to California (HOPEFULLY NEVER) and all my 20, 30rd, and larger rnd mags can I still own them in the state?

2. If not what do you guys/gals do with them send them to family or something?

good question. I plan to never ever ever move back to california, but I do have to go there to visit, and I bring a single-stack to shoot.

I would probably just disassemble the mags whenever I was traveling, so they would be repair parts, and keep a few 10 rd mags handy.

good question. I plan to never ever ever move back to california, but I do have to go there to visit, and I bring a single-stack to shoot.

I would probably just disassemble the mags whenever I was traveling, so they would be repair parts, and keep a few 10 rd mags handy.

Depending on the state and how the law is worded that might not work. (Colorado any magazine capable of being modified to hold more than 15 rounds (or almost all of them)).

IANAL but here in California, possession of mags with a cap >10 rds is not currently illegal.

So, the only way you would be prosecuted is if you incriminated yourself when questioned.

And to make things even better, no one cares.

IANAL but here in California, possession of mags with a cap >10 rds is not currently illegal.

So, the only way you would be prosecuted is if you incriminated yourself when questioned.

Please elaborate warpspeed, because I thought that your not allowed to bring in assembled high cap mags into the state. While within CA borders, the mags would have to be disassembled, no?

Please elaborate warpspeed, because I thought that your not allowed to bring in assembled high cap mags into the state. While within CA borders, the mags would have to be disassembled, no?

Magazines cannot come into the state assembled. They need to be transported in as a parts kit - completely taken apart.

Many people buy them this way and then reassemble them into 10 rd mags using a limiter or rebuild existing mags that have broken or are having issues.

I have mags I have owned since before 2000 and use them on a regular basis. No one has ever asked me where they came from.

I have never seen anyone questioned at the public range either. Now, if you have an AR with a pistol grip and are using >10 rd mags, you will get everyone's attention and it had better be a Registered Assault Weapon ( RAW ) in CA or you will get hammered. That I have seen.

If you move to or visit and shoot a match in Hawaii you need to block your hi-caps to ten rounds, but you can still have them unless they fit in a gun on our "assault pistol" list which includes of all things the Ruger Charger.

Lived in Kali for 56 yrs-but no longer...travel back and always shoot there when I do. No one cares.

And the last post I made is not an attack on you at all. I say this in general because I have heard it from more than one person...

• 2 weeks later...

You might do the same thing as when traveling to Canada...Install a pop-rivet before you cross the border. A pop-rivet is considered "permanent" where an internal block is not since the mag can be easily disassembled to remove it.

All that I know is that the California Justice Department expects you to send them $15 or $20 or every gun you bring into California, and that includes visiting. Of course, like most of these laws, there is no enforcement effort, just a sword hanging over your head waiting for them to come around.

• 2 weeks later...

Help to get the dumb @$$ state to change its insane laws....isnt Commyfornia one of the most gang ridden states with all the gangstas rockin autos coupled with high cap mags for bustin caps :goof: I forgot that they have fantastic reasoning.....its illegal for all citizens....but.....we only really care about catching the honest citizens cause the G's will hopefully just kill eachother :roflol: