Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 USPSA MG Nationals

With all but one stage under my belt, I'll be the first to give feedback. Overall the match was fun, the stages obviously took a lot of work to build (a HUGE thank you to the construction crew), and the ROs were professional as usual.

Now for my big complaint. Using long-range targets that you both refuse to paint AND don't have backers is just unacceptable for a match of this magnitude. I'm shooting Limited with an unmagnified red dot. I shot Stage 7 (including the 2MOA head box at 260yds) first thing this morning and initially the tiny targets were completely invisible to the naked eye - thankfully my squad mates let me shoot last so I was at least able to see the targets (barely). I then shot Stage 11 last thing this afternoon, and the gray steel targets completely disappeared into the shadow of the berm divot... the photo below tells the sorry tale. I just had to index off the white flash card and pump rounds out until I got the hits. Even a top Open shooter on our squad couldn't see the targets. Not cool !!!

USPSAMGNats2013Stage11Targetsannotated_z

USPSAMGNats2013Stage11Targetsclose_zps8c

As I said, overall an enjoyable match, and I look forward to coming back again in future years. Just please don't cheap out on the backers and paint next time, 'kay?

With all but one stage under my belt, I'll be the first to give feedback. Overall the match was fun, the stages obviously took a lot of work to build (a HUGE thank you to the construction crew), and the ROs were professional as usual.

Now for my big complaint. Using long-range targets that you both refuse to paint AND don't have backers is just unacceptable for a match of this magnitude. I'm shooting Limited with an unmagnified red dot. I shot Stage 7 (including the 2MOA head box at 260yds) first thing this morning and initially the tiny targets were completely invisible to the naked eye - thankfully my squad mates let me shoot last so I was at least able to see the targets (barely). I then shot Stage 11 last thing this afternoon, and the gray steel targets completely disappeared into the shadow of the berm divot... the photo below tells the sorry tale. I just had to index off the white flash card and pump rounds out until I got the hits. Even a top Open shooter on our squad couldn't see the targets. Not cool !!!

USPSAMGNats2013Stage11Targetsannotated_z

USPSAMGNats2013Stage11Targetsclose_zps8c

As I said, overall an enjoyable match, and I look forward to coming back again in future years. Just please don't cheap out on the backers and paint next time, 'kay?

I shot the Noveske Match with an Eotech and had the same problems. Shooting late and cloudy with no contrast. If this was a tactical situation or wolves running at me. I would just move up to 100yds and shoot. Whatever happened to 4moa targets and sufficient contrast? I shot your stage at the Desert Classic last year and it was dark-but "there were lights!!!" A continuing problem with Limited. Plus the obvious bias toward so-called Super Squad. Super Squads are generally a dumb idea for the simple reason that it seems dictatorial and opinionated and violates the "freestyle" nature of the sport. What is a Super Squad actually? My definition is a lot different than Phil Straders, or any one's really. Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jadeslade, on 28 Apr 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

<some content removed that is not related to my reply>

Plus the obvious bias toward so-called Super Squad. Super Squads are generally a dumb idea for the simple reason that it seems dictatorial and opinionated and violates the "freestyle" nature of the sport. What is a Super Squad actually? My definition is a lot different than Phil Straders, or any one's really. Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.

First, Phil Strader had NOTHING to do with the squadding at this match. That was 100% my job.

I do not create "Super Squads." I simply honor everyone's squad request - and I do mean everyone. I am not going to tell a group of top shooters that they cannot shoot together just to satisfy someone's opinion of the freestyle nature of the sport. It is a bit amusing to hear the squadding was opinionated and dicatatorial, when I busted my butt to make sure nearly everyone was happy with their squad.

I assume that StealthyBlagga saw the AMU, and decided that this was the Super Squad. However, of the top 5 in Open, we see 4 different squads. Out of the top 10 in Tactical, there are 5 different squads represented. Clearly, I am really lousy at creating Super Squads.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

MG Nationals Statistician

In light of Linda's reply above, I have amended my earlier post to clarify that the squad that enjoyed the luxury of freshly painted targets was not "The Super Squad", but merely a squad of top, talented shooters. I can also add that an RO of impeccable integrity informed me that a couple of the targets in question were changed because they were found to be broken (although the reason for repainting all of the long-range targets on the last day, after refusing to do on previous days, puzzles me still).

Neither of the above points weakens the central thrust of my original post: In my humble opinion, poor decisions regarding the presentation of long-range targets created a significant competitive inequity. I can think of only two ways this could have happened:

1) A match official at some level made the conscious decision not to use target backers, and not to paint the targets at reasonable intervals. If so, this would seem to display a brazen indifference to competitive equity given that any moderately experienced multigunner knows that shot-out targets can quickly meld with the background to make them all but invisible (especially when they are ludicrously small).

OR

2) A match official failed to anticipate that changing a shot-gray, backer-less target during the match (oh, say, because it broke) for a fresh new black one might cause a change in target presentation and thus create a significant competitive inequity. If so, this would not speak well of our ability to learn from the many many years of running multigun matches to which Phil alluded in his fine speech tonight.

It's not like painting out the targets would have been that hard - Stage 7 was in a bay all to itself, and so painting for each squad (e.g. during the walk through) should have been entirely feasible with no interruption of the match timetable. Sometimes I'm just left scratching my head !

As I hope I made clear, I am profoundly grateful to the many hard working folks who busted their asses building a fun match for us to shoot this weekend. They did a fine job. I just want to share my observations in the hope that future matches can be even better. Beyond what I have said above, I will be sending my wide-ranging observations and suggestions on many aspect of the match to the Powers That Be in hope of helping raise the bar even higher going forwards.

Thanks again to the 2013 MG Nationals crew, and CONGRATULATIONS to the winners, especially my good friend Nils... 2013 Tactical Division Champion :D

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Thanks for a fun weekend! I really enjoyed meeting all the great people on squad 12!! He-Men and LAPD and others! What a great bunch of people!

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard! USPSA had made some great changes. A few snafus and things that could use improvement... I was impressed to see Phil out there delivering water, emptying trash, and working the match!

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard! Had a great time!

Denise

The Nationals just keeps getting better and better. The stages were as good as any I've seen and this years prize table for Tac-Scope had 24 guns! A big thanks to the match staff, stage builders, and Phil (for taking out the garbage).

The Nationals just keeps getting better and better. The stages were as good as any I've seen and this years prize table for Tac-Scope had 24 guns! A big thanks to the match staff, stage builders, and Phil (for taking out the garbage).

+1

The only thing I'd like to see done slightly differently for next year would be a little less rifle/pistol hosing and more technical stuff. Some rules need updated/changed as well, but I think that's already being worked on ;)

Great match overall, thanks to all the hard workers and sponsor that made it possible!

This was a good match. The stages were fun. The staff was very helpful(thank you Linda). The range officers were very forgiving. Did not shoot really well. I did make the hits on the targets on stage 7 with Iron sights( my stage 11 was not as stellar). We shot stage 7 friday morning the target that was hard to see for me was the closest one from the second position. I did not think the stage was unreasonable( no more than shooting clay birds surounded by no shoots with pistol/rifle) The squad I shot with was great. Big thank you to TMC for his advice and a really big thank you to Glenn for staying with the squad and busting his ass helping reset. A real class act. I hope this match continues to improve. I do agree that continuity should be the goal with target presentation. All in all I had a good time and would return.

Jason

Does anyone have any match photos that they would like to share? The pictures will be given to media to do stories on the event.

Edited by ctay

Does anyone have any match photos that they would like to share? The pictures will be given to media to do stories on the event.

Squad 4 has a ton to photos. What format and size, how to deliever them, etc?

Why do most of the 3Gun Pros or other shooters don't shoot USPSA's Multi-Gun Nationals? I expected a huge turnout for all divisions since 3Gun has exploded on the scene. I assume for the Pros scheduling conflicts with 3Gun Nation matches.

Why do most of the 3Gun Pros or other shooters don't shoot USPSA's Multi-Gun Nationals? I expected a huge turnout for all divisions since 3Gun has exploded on the scene. I assume for the Pros scheduling conflicts with 3Gun Nation matches.

I counted at least 14 of the top 30 3GN Pro shooters at the MG Nationals. BTW, this years match was full with a waiting list.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

I counted at least 14 of the top 30 3GN Pro shooters at the MG Nationals. BTW, this years match was full with a waiting list.

Doug

Tarheel was that same weekend, which I know a few top guys went to.

Doug

Tarheel was that same weekend, which I know a few top guys went to.

And I know that some guys shot 3 matches in the 3-4 weeks before the Nationals. With all the matches on the calendar now, not even the Pros can make it to all of them.