Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Juju, coast to coast

Sam

OK, it's official! I'm raising the nation wide bad Mojo alert level to RED!

We've had an unprecedented four hurricanes in the southeast. A volcano is threatening to erupt in the north west. The elections are terribly acrimonious. Many areas are soaked with rain. Several forum members are reporting feelings of lack of motivation and listlessness. A match director reported last week that everyone had their worst collective performance in the history of the club. There is a cloud of funk and doom looming overhead. What is it?

I dunno. But in an odd sort of way it's kinda cool, like a watching the gathering of a massive storm. Something interesting is going on, don't deny it.

Good time to pray and watch the awesome hand of God at work in all things.

B)

OK, it's official! I'm raising the nation wide bad Mojo alert level to RED!

A volcano is threatening to erupt in the north west.

Lastest..

Mt St. Helens...steam eruptions...

anyone remember the first one..I was in Corvallis OR going to school..

very humbling

Stuart:

I remember the first one. I had razor sharp ashes on my car clear out here in Wyoming. The power of mother nature is simply astounding.

In all seriousness, Sam brings up a good point, the trouble in the middle East, the natural disasters, the economy, etc. Life is hard. We can't control what unseen forces deal out, but we can control how we react. Take John for instance. Rob Leatham ain't got nothing on John. ;)

Natural "disasters" (I strongly dispute whether these are really nature's fault or a result of man's lack of preparedness) happen. There's nothing you can do to stop them, so why not simply be prepared?

And I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited about volcanoes.

I don't see what the Mt. St. Helens fuss is all about. It's an active volcanoe. Just like the rest of the volcanoes in the NW. Anybody with half a brain that's ever been on one knows damned good and well the word "dormant" doesn't apply. They are ALL actively venting all the time. The sulfur venting is so thick on Mt. Hood is makes you want to barf when you're in it. People need to get a grip. This is not new news.

As for the risk of "glacial runoff" from St. Helens, I say HORSEFEATHERS! The "glacier" is nothing more than a small patch of snow, no more than a few feet thick that has not melted over the summer - just like every year since 1980: the last time St. Helens had a glacier in the sense of a large sheet of ice formed by compacting snow buildup.

Of course, what does the USGS do when the volcano threatens to poop some ash and rocks in the air? Send human beings into the crater, of course. Now we have to worry about people's welfare and safety where there was no problem before. All you have to do to not get killed by Mt. St. Helens is stay off the mountain during signs of activity. What part of this eludes people?

<_<

100% of all "natural" disasters appear to be man-made.

Natural "disasters" (I strongly dispute whether these are really nature's fault or a result of man's lack of preparedness) happen. There's nothing you can do to stop them, so why not simply be prepared?

Thank you for saying that. Typhoons and cyclones hit the western pacific rim all the time. But the minute a Cat 3+ hurricane makes landfall here, its like the world has come to a standstill.

Please don't misunderstand me, loss of property and belongings is not something I wish on anyone. I deal with this daily. If I meet you in my line of work, something you owned got broken or is destroyed and is no longer. However, I think there is a lack of understanding of the true risks and responsibilities (financial and otherwise) associated with living near a coast (especially in the southeast) and other bodies of water. The extra costs associated with living in these areas, whether insurance premiums, restricted coverage or strict building codes, is because it is dangerous to live in those places.

It isn't a question of if. It is only when and how bad.

All the weather and other natural phenomena we tend to notice have been goin' on for aeons. Preparedness IS the answer. Just like the story from my ladyfriend in Florida about the idiots living all but next door to her that not only were TOTALLY unprepared for Frances, they refused to believe it when told than Ivan and Jeanne were coming, so they laughed it off and continued on in denial. God, what are these people thinking.

I get annoyed when I hear about "Oh, the Pacific Rim 'ring of fire' is active again"... Yeh, like, it's been that way, you doofus, for about "X" number of millennia. What else is new....???!!

I was living in Eugene when St Helens went off in 1980, but had just flown down to SFO to visit relatives that week. I ended up watching it on TV and missed the whole event! I would've rather been HERE to HEAR it, frankly. Came back to a car dusted with a little bit of ash. Nothing like Portland, Oregon, however. Those folks were SWIMMING in ash. My roommate went up to visit his parents right afterward and brought me back mass quantities of the ash and I gave it away in little vials on the air (morning show) as a promotion that week... our call letters at the time were, I kid you not, KASH-AM.

I'm adding one more thing to my statement. A disclaimer, if you will.

No, I don't live in Florida. Nor do I live in New Orleans or Houston, or any other similar locale. I live in the hail and tornado prone midwest.

but...

I have seen enough damage...

I have written enough checks...

And lawfully denied enough claims...

...to know that it isn't worth it to put my family, my investments or myself into that situation wilfully. It isn't worth it to me.

"Oh, NOW we hear about the room mate...."
For pete's sake, this was back in 1980...!!!! (Like, that was the date of the eruption and all, remember...?) ;)

Juicy-tidbit-however department: All six of the radio staff lived in just two houses here in Eugene. We were a very tight bunch at the time. My roommate was on the air staff as well. ...this was all back in the days when there wasn't any bad juju alert in progress.... Things were different in the olden days. :rolleyes:

Well . . .

Mother Nature can wreck all things if we aren't prepared but any commoner is going to do ok in any circumstance. I mean really - if the f*cking volcano is going to explode - leave. If the hurricane is going to hit the coast - leave.

No gloom and doom here Sam. I wish I were shooting more, but I wish I were hunting more too. Hell . . . I wish I were relaxing more. But I'm employeed with a good company that seems to think I have something to offer - wtf could I possibly complain about?

I just got back from AK a few weeks ago - and it got me back to my roots. Weather is just that - weather. People who haul blankets and jackets in their trucks aren't paranoid - they are prepared. I am no Einstein - if I can figure it out anybody can . . .

Hard times are brought about by defeatist attitudes. I've always said - "Complacency is the first sign of failure"

JB

Ok, then. Not to be a total alarmist, I'm unilaterally lowering the nation wide level to Orange. But, I'm keeping my perimeter at RED for a while. (Just incase the four horsemen of the Apocalypse ride into Wyoming) Not very likely that we would even notice. We have winds every winter that blow box cars off the railroad tracks and we don't even name them. :lol:

The lack of personal preparedness is the height of selfishness and vanity. You think it won't happen to you? You think someone will bale you out if it does? You're probably right......

Hard times are brought about by defeatist attitudes. I've always said - "Complacency is the first sign of failure"

J1B, that's so hardcore. I love it! B)

Maybe it just the change of seasons.

Carry on!

"We have winds every winter that blow box cars off the railroad tracks and we don't even name them. "
LOL!!!! I'll have to lay that one on my friend in West Palm Beach. :D

One of my pet peeves is complacency and defeatist attitudes. Talk about FRUSTRATING to deal with people like this!!! :angry: Life is about work and activity... not sitting around on one's a** "waiting" for something to change. Gah, where did they learn to be this way??!! :wacko: