Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to Start?

hoghunter

Just ordered a CZ Shadow Custom w/ SRTS. Visited the USPSA website today a fired an email off to the closest club I could find. I'm am about as newbie as they come for comp shooting. I know I need to get comfortable with the firearm so range time is a given. But where do you go to start in this sport? I need to do a lot of homework on what all the terminologies mean (limited/major/minor/etc.). I read the posts here and get lost very quickly in the code-speak that goes back and forth. We all have to start somewhere so I am not looking to get bashed here- just want some solid advice from the experts here. I also don't want to get involved in competing with world-class level folks and feeling like a total loser. I just enjoy shooting and would like to add a little sport to it. Thanks

Find a local steel match to start at. You can get a feel for a match environment without having to worry about movement and stage breakdown. You can meet the local shooters and see what equipment they are using so you can get an idea what you will and will not need to play the game before you go spend a lot of money on things you will not use.

Before shooting a match, go to your local club and watch a match. Talk to the folks that are there and get answers to your questions. Seeing a match will expose you to typical stages and range commands.

By simply finding this forum and asking the question, you've already started! :cheers:

Inquire at the nearby club to see if they have a introductory class. Some clubs conduct such a class usually for a nominal fee that covers supplies and range time. This would be a great intro to the sport. Some clubs do an on-the-spot orientation which is a condensed version of a class.

However, do not be discouraged if a formal class is not offered in your area. If there's USPSA shooting going on somewhere near you, get yourself there and announce youself as a new shooter. Shooting folks in general and USPSA folks specifically are some of the friendliest around and someone will be able to either get you started or point you in the right direction.

By simply finding this forum and asking the question, you've already started! :cheers:

Inquire at the nearby club to see if they have a introductory class. Some clubs conduct such a class usually for a nominal fee that covers supplies and range time. This would be a great intro to the sport. Some clubs do an on-the-spot orientation which is a condensed version of a class.

However, do not be discouraged if a formal class is not offered in your area. If there's USPSA shooting going on somewhere near you, get yourself there and announce youself as a new shooter. Shooting folks in general and USPSA folks specifically are some of the friendliest around and someone will be able to either get you started or point you in the right direction.

...and here I thought it was just because I was a girl! Yeah, everyone is super helpful, in all seriousness.

Read as much of the rules as you can, though some things you won't understand immediately.

Ideally your nearest club should have some sort of "intro" session available for new shooters. Different clubs have different levels of "intro" available. One local club I know of gives new shooters a 3 to 5 minute talk. Another (the one I first shot at) actually had a guy meet me out at the range on a non-match day and went over the sport for nearly an hour and then set out a few short (4 or 5 target) "stages" to run me through. That really helped me when starting out.

Also, even if you don't ever plan to volunteer at a big match or anything, I'd suggest eventually looking into taking the RO class. Aside from actually RO'ing stages, its a great way to learn a ton about the rules of the sport which will make you a better shooter.

Also, you mentioned you've already got a gun, which is fine, but I wouldn't get too carried away with buying equipment before you get started. As long as a new shooter has any legal gun, 4 or 5 mags (mag pouches are a huge plus but not strictly required to start), and a holster, they're mostly good to go. The first few matches you're unlikely to be competitive anyways. You're just trying the sport to see how you like it. If you like it and want to continue, then start to really build out your equipment. What you think you want now might also be a little different than what you'll want after a few matches.

www.uspsa.org

download the rule book, get a beverage of your choice and start reading.

The index is very handy for getting you to stuff you want to know.

Find a club and get started! :)

You are going to love it!

You'll be hooked soon! I agree with the others who said "read the rulebook". That is what I did before my first match. It won't make perfect sense at first but will give you a good base and you will start to remember the things you read as you see them happen in matches. Good luck. You are beginning a great sport with a lot of great people.

I'm in central Fl also. Feel free to PM me if you need someone to go with. I will second the idea about going to a steel challenge first. I accidentally got started that way and when I finally did my first USPSA I finished pretty darn good for my first time. Also depending where you are actually located, you can come shoot at my place to get some of the basics down.

I emailed all the local Central Florida clubs

The best is Central Florida R & P Club near the airport in Orlando - they have a steel shoot

coming up on the 10th, a USPSA shoot on the 17th & a multi-gun shoot on the 23rd.

Instead of sending e-mails, you might want to get on their websites.

Volusia is another great club - north of Orlando by an hour or so - they have

something going every weekend.

If you're on the East Coast, you have clubs in Jacksonville, St Augustine,

Mims, and Melbourne.

Also clubs on the west coast (near Tampa).

Not sure where YOU are. :cheers:

Located in Clermont (Lake County)

OK, cool. Read the post just before your last, it seems those may be closer to you. I'm in Tampa but this area is a little far for you. I suspect you will get some more specific recommendations now that we know where you live. Either way, get to a club and let them know you are interested and they will be glad to help you out!

Mike

I emailed all the local Central Florida clubs listed in the USPSA website this past Saturday but no response as of yet. If anyone has a contact to a club around here I would be happy to make the first contact. Thanks

I'm just starting to do competitive shooting myself. If you are near Clearwater, Florida, you can do what I did which is to take the "Intro to Action Shooting" course over at the Wyoming Antelope Club. Dan Bernard and the rest of the WAC staff are fantastic instructors and you get to do a little shooting at the end. I will be much more comfortable going into my first match now that I have completed that course. I just need ammo...

• 1 month later...

Is there any suggested starting class? I have two guns that would fit into the production class Glock 17 and CZ 75B. I also have a 1911 which I enjoy shooting the most of the three. Is there a suggested starting class?

Out of the two "Divisions" you have available I would choose Single Stack to start with. Production seem simple but can get competitive. SS will teach you round management and mag changes.

For the first couple matches I always recommend limited division. In your case either the cz or glock load up the mags all the way and you will have less reloads to worry about while you are learning the rest of the game then once you have a little experience then you can go into whatever division you like and you will have had a chance to see them in action. And don't worry about being competitive right off the bat just keep it safe and have fun.

Mike