Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI questions

I've pretty much shot my HK's for years - now looking at STI offerings. I didn't realize my level of ignorance until I see all the potential options available on the 1911-2011 platforms. I have several questions regarding these guns: what are the pros/cons of full length dust covers? Is a non ramped barrel better than a ramped barrel? Lastly, are there advantage to certain types of guide rods? I intend to shoot mostly for fun - maybe working up to some type of competition as my skill level improves. Thanks for bearing with my total lack of sophistication here.

It comes down to personal preference mostly. The full length dust cover ads weight which softens felt recoil. However the added weight slows transition from target to target a little. Heavier being harder to start and stop moving.

As for ramped barrels I would always go with ramped. They fully support the case which is especially important with higher pressure loads.

I used to shoot USPSA open class and liked my .38 super compgun as light and quick handleing as possible. Now I am older and shooting Limited class with a .40 cal STI Edge with a full dust cover and a tungsten full length guiderod and I love it.

What ever you choose you will not be disappointed with STI. They build a great gun. And the best thing about the 2011/1911 guns is the availability of great optional parts so you can tune/fit it exactly to your likeing.

If you end up shooting matches the rules will play into your selection. I have an Edge (40s&w) i shoot Limited for USPSA and ordered a Trojan (40s&w) with bushing for single stack (I was informed the bushing is required in single stack). The STI guns are good and if you choose to customize the STI platform is a very good platform to work off of.

Ramped is the only way to go. The biggest question to ask is 1911 or 2011, I have a trojan and am ordering an Edge next month. One big thing to think about also is that 2011 magazines are a little tough to get right now where 1911 mags are everywhere. Also think about what you want to do with the gun, are you looking for a fun pistol that shoots well or are you looking for a pistol that will grow with you. If you want a more rounded caliber for comp, I would go with .40 over 9mm so you can shoot major PF. The only reason I would say to go 9mm over 40 is if you only plan on shooting steel. Right now .40 is easier to find than 9mm (both rounds and components). AS far as dust covers go, its a matter of preference, but you cannot shoot full length dust covers in some classes such as single stack, and IDPA. I love the look of the full length dust covers and would LOVE to get a range master.

There are more frame choices that just short or long. You may choose short standard, short wide, long standard or long wide. My most recent 6" has a long slide with the classic type stirrup cuts, and a short side dust cover. On a wide dust cobver gun the frame is the same width as the slide. If you check the standard width, you will not that the dust cover is a bit narrower than the slide. then there is the tacticasl with rails. I do not shoot IDPA and am not sure of the limits, but I believe 1911/2011 guns are restricted to the short dust cover.

Don't wait until you think you are good enough for competition, I recommend getting involved in some form of competition as soon as possible. The competition is what will increase your skill level. No matter what type of shooting you try, , you will find that the more experienced shooters will be more than happy to help you improve. Once you find out what types of competition are available in your geographic area, you can them decide what gun, and which features, will best suit your needs. I'm 57 and didn't start any type of competition until about 5 or 6 years ago. I'm sorry I didn't start sooner.

I love my edge. I don't mind the weight of it having the full length dust cover. I've only shot two matches with it but I have no complaints. I don't think it's a bad idea to get to matches sooner then later. I had the same mindset until a buddy of mine dragged me out to a match and I had a blast and then got upset that I couldn't shoot more

Go out and shoot a match. As far as STI i have a well used edge and love it. Started with a M&P setup for limited moved to a Para then i picked up an Edge and wish i would have just done this from the start. If you go to a match im sure that someone is shooting a STI and will let you test drive it. I for one will let others try mine out.

For It's WORTH !

I shot a 6" STI Eagle in USPSA Limited built/enhanced by Dave Dawson, Nice, nice pistol.

Caution - if your gonna shot IDPA get a copy of the rules, and read carefully, get clearification. Em folks got Rules Lawyers and give PEs for the way you park your car.

Choose careful and enjoy,

Perry

First post in this forum but just to chime in.....I wanted to buy an STI Edge when the wife and I were beginning to shoot in USPSA. However she already had a M&P 9mm so I got a M&P 9mm Pro so that we could shoot production. Shortly after I realized that the Edge but hadn't left my system. I have recently placed my order for 2 CRP Edges from Dawson. I should have all our spare mags in shortly but the pistols are probably going to be having me wait until the end of next month. Now the M&Ps are for sale along with a Glock 21sf to assist in the bill. I did the same thing with my Subaru. I bought an 04 impreza when I wanted a STI since the Marine Corps.....shortly after getting the Impreza I sold it and got my 2011 STI. Go with it if you can afford it and start shooting as shooting with other people in a "competition" format will help you refine your talent.

I own 3 STI 1911s and an STI 2011. If it's versatility you want go with a single stack. I have the 1911s in 9mm (2) and .45 ACP (1). I compete in single stack in minor and major. The .45 cal has a very smooth trigger ... No weight taken off so can be used for duty or concealed carry.

I love my edge. I don't mind the weight of it having the full length dust cover. I've only shot two matches with it but I have no complaints. I don't think it's a bad idea to get to matches sooner then later. I had the same mindset until a buddy of mine dragged me out to a match and I had a blast and then got upset that I couldn't shoot more

Did you have to do anything to your Edge to get it ready for competition? I'm guessing it was pretty nice just out of the box, but I'm not particularly knowledgable about 1911s.

The Edge is a 2011, double stack. Good for competition but not for anything like defensive carry because hopefully you would have a trigger job. It also has a bull barrel, no bushing.

See? I told you I didn't know anything about 1911s including when something isn't a 1911. :blush:

Did you have to do anything to your Edge to get it ready for competition? I'm guessing it was pretty nice just out of the box, but I'm not particularly knowledgable about 1911s.

I got it used a while back, but the only thing done to it was extended mag release. I shot her the whole year just like that. Since then I've done springs and FO front sight just for my own preference. Only other thing I really want to do is slide lightening. Maybe then ill start going deeper into it. All in all though a great gun.

Edited by WrxGuy90

That was the downfall. I started shooting idpa back when I had a simple g17. Then I "thought" about getting into uspsa and before I knew it I bought the edge, not understanding fully that I couldn't shoot it in idpa and wasn't fully set up for uspsa. That was my newbie mistake haha

I was helping a new shooter pick out their first STI and recommended the Eagle with a bushing so they could shoot both games. That way she can buy "legal" gear for both sports too. She wanted a Ghost Holster and then I told her she would have to buy an additional holster for IDPA. She bought a Blade-Tech with the Stingray belt attachment from me. Learning equipment and gear is difficult because one is so immersed in all the other stuff they have to learn for a game!!! Seriously, some folks don't even understand power factor in the beginning.

I beg you to shoot matches. Forget the "I'm not good enough yet" bullcrap mentality.

No one is good enough yet, I don't care what you practice, or for how long.

Every single competitor goes through a learning phase getting comfortable. USPSA is unique in that we all know this. You'll find tons of support and very little judgement from our crowd. Unless of course, you ask for comments and help. Then you'll get some help.

Go shoot.

I was helping a new shooter pick out their first STI and recommended the Eagle with a bushing so they could shoot both games. That way she can buy "legal" gear for both sports too. She wanted a Ghost Holster and then I told her she would have to buy an additional holster for IDPA. She bought a Blade-Tech with the Stingray belt attachment from me. Learning equipment and gear is difficult because one is so immersed in all the other stuff they have to learn for a game!!! Seriously, some folks don't even understand power factor in the beginning.

That's one of the reasons I decided to start out doing USPSA Production as my first "movement" shooting game. I've already started doing GSSF and that's very beginner friendly and I'll do Steel Challenge also. I'm just going to stick with USPSA Production for awhile using a bone stock Glock 34 Gen 4 before I consider shooting USPSA Limited or another game like IDPA and IPSC. The people at my local club have been immensely helpful so it made equipment purchase in regards to things like belts, mag pouches, etc much easier.

That said, I can see how starting out in USPSA Limited would make sense also if you have someone like you working with them to get their equipment figured out and avoid mistakes. I just wouldn't have the first clue what to buy for a Limited pistol and it's a lot of money to spend if you don't have a nice sherpa guide like yourself.

Wait...what is this "Power Factor" of which you speak? :) Just kidding. That's actually one of the allures of USPSA Production at this point. It's minor scoring no matter what I show up with. I actually used a Glock 21 for my "Intro to Action" shooting class at my local club and did reasonably well with it. Mostly Alphas with some Charlies thrown in for good measure. However, you could have timed me with a sun dial so there's a reason I didn't do any mikes.

Apparently, I did try and stick almost all of my upper body through a window to engage some targets. The RO who ran me through the stage was nice enough to point out that's more than a little unnecessary and I'm allowed to actually shoot through the window at the targets without trying to actually climb through it. :blush: