Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Review of Ghost mag pouches

kita

Nice yard.

That's pretty extensive retention testing :surprise: . Were the mags loaded with dummy rounds to simulate real weight?

Being an accessory geek, I would have liked:

• a close up shot of a mag in the carrier
  • a description of how to mount it in the 90 degree position
  • a description of the tension adjustment

Playing Production and having minimal belt real estate (not saying that's me by any stretch), I can understand the desire to run carriers in the 90 if it allows closer placement of the carriers to minimise the need to reach around to the small of the back.

I shoot Single Stack and six DAA SS Racers run all the way around back for me and my DAA 38" belt in the flat position. I'm considering changing some to 90 degrees because the mount would allow closer placement.

Nice yard.

That's pretty extensive retention testing :surprise: . Were the mags loaded with dummy rounds to simulate real weight?

Playing Production and having minimal belt real estate (not saying that's me by any stretch), I can understand the desire to run carriers in the 90 if it allows closer placement of the carriers to minimise the need to reach around to the small of the back.

I shoot Single Stack and six DAA SS Racers run all the way around back for me and my DAA 38" belt in the flat position. I'm considering changing some to 90 degrees because the mount would allow closer placement.

To answer the question in red. They come with 2 pouch pieces. You can see the sections here.

http://czcustom.com/Ghost-Magazine-Pouches.aspx

I have so many questions.

How easy are they to pull out again?

Where is your accent from?

You should run them bullets forward... bullets out looks dumb and I think it hampered my aggressiveness on mag changes.

Opps, double tap.

Edited by Tuflehundon

You should run them bullets forward... bullets out looks dumb and I think it hampered my aggressiveness on mag changes.

Bullets out work better for thin people like the OP who don't have a lot of real estate in the belt due to smaller waist. There are a couple of ladies at my local range that shoot Production or SS and complain about mag placement. Some of the mags they carry are all the way in the middle of there backs due to small waists.

A lot of Limited and Open shooters like the bullets out mount if you have the mag pouches on the front of your belt instead of the sides. I shoot Limited and am currently deciding on a mag pouch that allows the bullets out mounting.

Edited by Tuflehundon

Nice yard.

I'm not Kita, but I have been running Ghost pouches for about a year and a half now (and may have stayed in a HIEX last night, I can't remember.)

Mounting it in the 90 deg position is pretty easy, you actually get 2 mag pouches and 1 belt attachment when you buy a Ghost pouch. One is the 90 deg and the other is the standard configuration. It's as easy as unscrewing one and screwing the other one in to change.

Running them in the 90 deg position does not allow them to get closer together. The slightly bulky and wide belt attachment is what limits the proximity of the mag pouches and there's no difference between the standard and 90 deg configurations. So, no difference in um, reaching around...

Tension is adjusted using a combination of the two kinds of included springs (one with more tension, one with less) and screws included with the pouches.

Bullets out work better for thin people like the OP who don't have a lot of real estate in the belt due to smaller waist.

It doesn't make a difference with the Ghost pouches in particular, you're limited by the belt attachment. I have them butting up against each other running them bullets forward... it was the exact same way when I ran them bullets out.

Bullets out work better for thin people like the OP who don't have a lot of real estate in the belt due to smaller waist.

It doesn't make a difference with the Ghost pouches in particular, you're limited by the belt attachment. I have them butting up against each other running them bullets forward... it was the exact same way when I ran them bullets out.

Hadn't tried the Ghost pouches yet. I know whith DA racers, and racemasters you can get them closer together running them bullets out.

Running limted I will have mine at an angle so they won't be close together anyways.

Nice yard.

I'm not Kita, but I have been running Ghost pouches for about a year and a half now (and may have stayed in a HIEX last night, I can't remember.)

Mounting it in the 90 deg position is pretty easy, you actually get 2 mag pouches and 1 belt attachment when you buy a Ghost pouch. One is the 90 deg and the other is the standard configuration. It's as easy as unscrewing one and screwing the other one in to change.

Running them in the 90 deg position does not allow them to get closer together. The slightly bulky and wide belt attachment is what limits the proximity of the mag pouches and there's no difference between the standard and 90 deg configurations. So, no difference in um, reaching around...

Tension is adjusted using a combination of the two kinds of included springs (one with more tension, one with less) and screws included with the pouches.

However by having the bullets OUT you can line up your index finger near the tip of the top bullet much easier that the bullets forward position. In the bullets forward position after the first mag is drawn getting a consistent "draw" on your mags isn't as easy. It's too bad they don't save in belt real estate in this position as it could.

Great video Kita. You're in great shape!

Edited by lugnut

This type of information is useful to include for a gear review. It provides an expectation of what one might expect using the gear being reviewed.

The last match I shot was with a borrowed rig, bullets forward. I didn't notice any difference whatsoever. Minor detail.

When comparing a bullet forward to a bullet out position, there's a noticeable difference with my wrist angle as I reach for and index on the mag. Not saying it' noticeable to all or that it makes any significant difference as long as there's lots of dry fire practice with the rig setup.

Hadn't tried the Ghost pouches yet. I know with DA racers, and racemasters you can get them closer together running them bullets out.

The DAA bracket is significantly narrower in comparison to others that I've tried i.e. CR Speed and Safariland. The DAA bracket itself is perhaps 1/2" wide in comparison to 1" to 1-1/8" or so for the others.

First of all, as you can see, they are easy to pull out. Second, my accent is from my mouth. Third, if I wear them bullets out, it gives the illusion of having wider hips and a smaller waist. Totally aesthetic.

The DAA bracket is significantly narrower in comparison to others that I've tried i.e. CR Speed and Safariland. The DAA bracket itself is perhaps 1/2" wide in comparison to 1" to 1-1/8" or so for the others.

This.

I have a 28 inch waist and run the DAA racers at 90. It saves a ton of room.

I considered the Ghost, but realized early on that the belt hanger/bracket width would not provide any spacing benefit.

I just got four of the Ghost pouches.

I originally bought one because a top shooter on this forum told me in an email that they were what he preferred and they were only $24 on shootersconnection. Also liked that they were sort of "universal" (I shoot Glocks, an XDM, CZ's, and a Tanfoglio.) I don't think I didn't like the mag pouch with the bullets forward position - there's no room between the belt and the mag pouch like there is on the Double Alpha Competition and Race Master pouches, so I can't really get my hand around the magazine to get a good grip on it (thumb can't get between the mag pouch and my belt.) I let it lay around for a little bit then noticed that the shooter that recommended them uses them bullets out (I think...looked like that from a picture in his book.) I tried that and immediately I got more consistent mag changes with my XDM, which was/is giving me all kinds of trouble getting consistent clean mag changes. I found I was consistently getting my index finger up near the tip of the bullet and it's a more direct route from belt to magwell (in the bullets forward position, as you bring the mag up you have to twist your wrist to get it in position for entry into the magwell...bullets out you're grabbing it with your wrist in the same position as it is when you go to insert the magazine into the magwell.)

Three more got delivered today and I'll dry and live fire with them extensively before matches start.

That video is something else.