Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classic Targets

diehli

I love the damn things. Screw the "not capitulating to the man" BS, these things rock!

4 out of 6 stages had the Classic targets today. Maybe it was the fact that they were smaller, but I felt good and shot good, saw my misses, and picked 'em up quick. For whatever reason, it was easier to read the sights w/ the Classics (probably a trick-of-the-day-type thing).

Now the two stages with the Metric targets... ugh. One was a classifier and the other was the Standards from Area 1 (the 3 barrel stage). I saw my misses on those, too, but being Virginia count, it was too late.

Here's a bit of trivia for you.

Yes, the impetus behind the introduction of the Classic Target was to assist IPSC Regions who were either obliged by law not to use "humanoid" targets, or who felt they needed to follow suit due to an unfavorable political climate. Today, I estimate that 90% of our Regions use the Classic Target exclusively.

The basis for the Classic Target was the IPSC Universal (Rifle) Target, however when considering the dimensions for the Handgun version, it was a conscious descision to make the Classic Target smaller than the Metric Target. This was done as a way to force greater accuracy, which was starting to decline in favour of speed, due to significant advances in equipment (i.e. guns).

I've been shooting Classic Targets for so long now, when I occasionally get to shoot Metric Targets, it feels like I'm shooting at a barn door!!

I'd love to see some in local matches just as a change from the norm. What's odd, is that the Metric target is so from from humanoid in appearance, I don't even regard it in that class of targets. In contrast, it always creeps me out to go to an indoor range where a bunch of people are shooting targets with somebody's face on them. For whatever reason the metric has always looked like a two sets of scoring zones to me and little more.

We frequently have at least one stage with the amoeba boards at club matches. I even have a few in the back of my truck in the event I experience an urge to p-p-p-p-practice.

My success with them is mixed. There have been days when I've shot all As on long courses, and days when I had trouble hitting the paper at all!

it was a conscious descision to make the Classic Target smaller than the Metric Target. This was done as a way to force greater accuracy, which was starting to decline in favour of speed, due to significant advances in equipment (i.e. guns).

I find this fascinating (and thus will hijack Vince's thread). The guns haven't gotten significantly faster for at least 12 years, and that was only because shooters could stuff 26 rounds into them instead of the previous 12 or so.

It was the shooters that got faster, and the stage designs that let them.

I like the Classic (besides the silly name), but I was just struck with how every generation of shooters seems to think the next generation is too fast and not accurate enough.

The thing that drives me nuts is that I always get a better score with Classic Targets, and I suspect this is because I "race" more with Metric Targets because they seem huge in comparison.

I'm also more accurate with Mini-Poppers. I need help :(

The thing that drives me nuts is that I always get a better score with Classic Targets, and I suspect this is because I "race" more with Metric Targets because they seem huge in comparison.

I'm also more accurate with Mini-Poppers. I need help :(

Vince,

Does your focus tighten up on the mini-poppers and the classics? Mine tightens up on steel of all types. I see the target and nothing else. It especially helps on the stages with the steel behind steel pickett fences.

Liota

It especially helps on the stages with the steel behind steel pickett fences.

You're dreaming of Coleman again (that or the pain killers are wearing off). :D

Vince,

I shot the first US match to use the classic (or turtle as we like to call them). Our home club, which Liota is a part of, has used the classic almost exclusively since it's introduction. :)

Kenny

It's nice to see others recognizing the value of the Classic Target.

I remember all to well being one of the VERY few recognizing the merits of the Classic target on the unofficial IPSC list and being "blasted" because I was supposedly giving in to the P.C. element. :angry:

It's all about the smaller "A" zone for me...promotes ACCURACY....the long lost "art" . ;)

It especially helps on the stages with the steel behind steel pickett fences.

You're dreaming of Coleman again (that or the pain killers are wearing off). :D

Vince,

I shot the first US match to use the classic (or turtle as we like to call them). Our home club, which Liota is a part of, has used the classic almost exclusively since it's introduction. :)

Kenny

Kenny,

You're right on both accounts. Been thinking of at least shooting the stars behind the steel picket fence stage next weekend. Not to much movement on that one, I don't think. Of course, it IS Coleman. :huh:

Been easing back on the pain killers. Mainly because they aren't killing the pain. Just making my head loopy. Okay, loopier.

L

Here in Italy we use almost only classics since 3 or 4 years.

I barely remember how the metrics are made.

The classics are nice, but I'd like to see more of a mix of the two in matches: diversity is what keeps this thing rocking, and being stuck with only one type of target can become quite boring in the long run.

I've been shooting Classic Targets for so long now, when I occasionally get to shoot Metric Targets, it feels like I'm shooting at a barn door!!

Ditto.

We use them almost exclusively here in Scandinavia.

I really like them too, aside from lessening the "hoser-factor" by being smaller, I think they ARE more "politically correct", if you will. I know I'm naive but I dream of days when IPSC is an olympic sport, and I think that some people might get the wrong idea if they see people shooting at Metric targets.

If you think about it, how many people do you think will be offended or annoyed if Classic targets are used when IPSC is a demo event in the, let's say, 2012 olympics? Now think Metric. Think anti-gun people, but even more, think "undecided" people. If the amount of people offended is even one person more than when using the Classic target, IHMO, Metrics shouldn't be used.

Just a thought.

I'm a Classic fan too. For some reason, I am much more likely to occationally just shoot at the whole target with the Metrics, whereas I'm focused exclusively on the A zone with the Classics.

Must be something to do with flash backs to bullseye training :P

Kevin

Here's my question, it's an odd one. I know that there would be resistance from a couple of contigents (those that like bigger targets 'cause they're easier to hit, those that don't like change, those that think it'd be caving in to "political correctness" or some other bullshite, etc.), but is it worth trying to garner support for a change in the US to the amoeba for the purposes of aligning more closely with the International Confederation and also to help re-focus membership on the Diligentia portion of the credo?

Mainly I want to see 'em at most of the local matches I attend.

but is it worth trying to garner support for a change in the US to the amoeba for the purposes of aligning more closely with the International Confederation

No. We should NEVER change for the sole purpose of "aligning". We should only adopt the best possible rules that we can come up with.

and also to help re-focus membership on the Diligentia portion of the credo?

Not a bod goal. Though there are many ways to get there.

Mainly I want to see 'em at most of the local matches I attend.

Me too. I'd like to see at least one stage per match use them. So, that is what I ask the local Match Director's to do.

• 3 years later...

I used to not care for the Classic targets, but after shooting the Reno Open Match (which used all classic targets), I have to say I kind of like them.

(yeah, i know the last post was 4 years ago, you don't have to pm me)

• 2 months later...
I used to not care for the Classic targets, but after shooting the Reno Open Match (which used all classic targets), I have to say I kind of like them.

(yeah, i know the last post was 4 years ago, you don't have to pm me)

LOL well now I guess that is the only game in town......outside of Free America.