Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel grip on an open gun

818-DVC

I tried searching "steel grip" and didn't come across anything that related to my question. if there is info, please send me a link!

I know a lot of people are converting to the SV grip on both lim and open guns to tame recoil. on an open gun, is it that significant? There was a time when an $800 grip was out of the question. since Bobby is making his own, and I'm having a gun by him, I'm tempted to try it as it is much cheaper than the SV, and my frame already has a plastic grip to revert back to if I don't like it. I know the added weight is right where I would want it, but will it effect slowing down the gun in fast transitions?

I have three steel grip SV guns. I don't notice the tamed recoil aspect but I do like a heavier gun.

You will not notice any slowness on transitions.

Finally, my dad was a quality assurance engineer in the nuclear weapons industry, he would say something like, 'it is always cheaper to go first class' or 'quality is always worth the price.'

No insult to Bobby's work but SV stuff is great. Worth the price.

Hello: I have shot some of the metal grips both steel and aluminum. They are not for me. I get a tuning fork effect in my hand and arm. They are not like a single stack 1911. I think it is setting up harmonics between the frame and the bolt on grip. Maybe that is why Virgil Tripp used the plastic grip setup. Thanks, Eric

I have steel grips on an open and limited gun and I don't think I could ever go back to a plastic grip. I always wanted the gun heavier. Went through the whole thing with adding the tungsten guide rods and the heavy magwells but the steel grip gave it the feel I was looking for. IMHO, it's the way they should be made. But I guess they're not for everyone. My buddy would say, "just get a caspian". :P

I completely agree with Eric - just could not get used to the steel grip. Everything felt perfect until I shot it. Now it could be that I've shot plastic grips for twenty years and that could color my perceptions. All I know is I won't buy another steel grip!

I was worried about that tuning fork feel. I thought that the vibrations would reverberate into the grip. People said they felt more solid than the plastic grip. I LOVE the plastic grip. I didn't understand the reasoning or advantage of going metal due to it's hardness. I heard it reduced perceived recoil too due to the weight. I appreciate the input.

Ya know, another thing is that the mag has to be straight going into the pistol. Being off just a little would stick the mag making it necessary to pull it out & re-seat. Happened to me a couple o' times on unloaded starts with mag & pistol on a barrel or table. Rarely happened if I could pull the mag from a pouch though.

Probably could all be trained out through dry fire but I barely have time enough to shoot/put on matches, so I'll stick with plastic.

I have a steel SVI/Infinity grip on my open gun. I cannot say I notice any tuning fork effect, but maybe I'm not that sensitive. It is heavy which is why I'm trying an aluminum 7075 version on the pistol I'm putting together now. On the other hand I don't know that it provides any great advantage especially when you consider the cost but the SVI grip shape fits me well and I like metal. A lot of SVI shooters have steel or aluminum grips so it's clearly a viable option, to each his own I guess.

FWIW fit is critical as the grip boss to frame slot does most of the work, Brandon at SVI was emphatic that this be TIGHT and carefully explained how it should be done...

A lot of SVI shooters have steel or aluminum grips so it's clearly a viable option, to each his own I guess.

SV sponsored shoot them because they have to, whether or not they want them. I'm also concerned that anybody who has transformed their plastic grip gun to the SV steel grip, mag release, beavertail, MSH is going to say they hate it after spending all that cash. I don't think SV would ditch plastic altogether if it didn't rock either.

To say people have been running steel grips forever is not seeing the big picture. Steel grips on a steel frame.. sure. when the grip is an integral part of the frame like a 2011, it is totally different than that of a 1 piece frame like traditional 1911's. I hope you understand my concerns.

I like the way the gun tracks with the STI aluminum grip. I find the gun recovers quicker. I do not get the tuning fork feeling others have mentioned.

I know Max uses one. He said he felt the gun recovered quicker.

I have a steel grip SV and a polymer STI. I just purchased the STI aluminum grip and am sending it to my gunsmith to replace/fit the polymer STI. The Steel one is smooth and I feel no resonance as indicated above. No idea on the aluminum STI. We'll see how that goes in a few weeks.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161504&st=200#entry1868865 is bobby's new SS grip. I appreciate all the input. I wonder if proper fitting keeps the vibes out of the grip. I think I'll get the metal grip to try since it's going to be reasonable, and if I don't like it, I still have the plastic one to replace. trying to figure out if I just want to run sk8 tape or have some sort of machine stipple.

I like the lighter gun, I find 41-42 oz feels pretty much right on for me. I don't find any advantage to the steel grip on an open gun.

I can't find a difference during drills. Transitions, accuracy, draws, reloads, or splits are all about the same but in matches I consistently shoot better with a lighter gun.

I honestly don't know if that is the steel grip, or something else in the new SVI, but it shoots better, I know that for a fact. I compared it side-by-side with my previous favorite gun, also from a very famous maker. Shooting at 3" bulls eye target, rapid doubles from the draw... the group obtained with SVI was almost twice as small.