Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, while i can make things pretty well so far but the precision for a chamber checker is a bit more that i want to try for right now.

Mach 3 did just stop the machine half way through and threw no error codes though. I ended up restarting everything and then re-starting the program where it stopped but it was an exciting 20 min trying to find the invisible problem.

So I have been thinking more on the new offering from Tormach and would really like a little input from the galley here. Mainly for slide serration patterns, bomar cuts, RMR cuts, other various sight cuts, engraving etc

Edited by dskinsler83

It looks like a nice machine. It says the first batch is sold out on their site. If you are doing pistol work with it, I think it would be great. If you are not in a rush CNC NYC will be having another open house in the spring. I am going. I don't own a tormach, but the last one was a great time! He is also going to be offering classes where you can work on a 440. I am thinking students running the machines on a regular basis will find any problems if there are any.

If you only have one machine, the travels of the 440 can be limiting. On a machine tool, bigger is much better. On any size machine it seems you are always running out of travel in one axis or another as different projects come up. A bigger machine gives you more choices of what you can do and how you can do it. All the machines can do the same things, but bigger machines can do bigger parts. Also, bigger machines can do more small parts at one time. If you come up with something you want to make and sell, you can gang more parts on a bigger machine and increase the output over what the smaller machine can do.

For most people the limiting factor is the money not the space. An 1100 is not much bigger than a 440. A 770 is the same size as an 1100 but smaller travels. Get the biggest machine you can possibly afford, even if you have to stretch the budget a bit to do it. The value of going bigger is in the ability to do a bigger variety of projects. Once you have a machine, new projects seem to come along in an endless stream. You never know what will be next.

Good point but it seems getting capital funding for a business is a little hard to do (at least for me). I need a small plastic injection machine as well with a custom made mold but it's around $10,000 as well. Another blast cabinet and a larger air compressor are needed as well.

Good point but it seems getting capital funding for a business is a little hard to do (at least for me). I need a small plastic injection machine as well with a custom made mold but it's around $10,000 as well. Another blast cabinet and a larger air compressor are needed as well.

Have you ever looked on hgr industrial surplus? I try to go to their location once a year.

If you only have one machine, the travels of the 440 can be limiting. On a machine tool, bigger is much better.

The travel is limiting, but that's only part of the problem with a small machine. For a hobby machine where you don't want to make a custom fixture for every little task, the small table can be incredibly frustrating. I often have a project that easily fits in the work envelope of my X2, but I have to spend a lot of time and effort figuring out a work holding solution that will fit on the small table.

Tool holding can be a problem as well. Many times I have to drill using collets because I don't have room for a drill chuck.

griz, do you have a set of screw length drills? I just bought one because i was having the same issue as you, also lets you skip spotting alot of the time.

for what you listed a 440 would be fine but a 770 would be better if you can swing it. A small machine can be a problem if you are trying to do runs of a product, but honestly if you can build the prototypes and finalize the design you are better off sending it to a real shop with real machines. Spend the hours and hours you would have spent machining with a 1hp spindle prototyping or designing something else.

griz, do you have a set of screw length drills?

I do. I am very good at working around the limitations of my small machine. I just wanted to point out the downsides of a small machine because every time I do anything beyond simply clamping the work piece in a vice I wish I had a bigger table.

Speaking of vices, I usually use a 3" Kurt clone that is fast and convenient and has minimal jaw lift... I often have to switch to a screwless vice which is lower profile but less convenient. Did I mention that I wish I had a bigger mill? :)

Tool holding can be a problem as well. Many times I have to drill using collets because I don't have room for a drill chuck.

I prefer to use collets for drilling, much more accurate than my chuck.

does that mean your chuck has runout? Generally collets are less desirable to drill with because tools can be pushed into them with much less force that if they were cutting on the side like with an endmill.