Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First I just want to say I am new to this forum, and glad to be a part of it. I have already learned an incredible amount from reading through some of these posts.

I have read through a few ideas on guys practicing shotgun and how to make target holders. Most seem to want to buy them rather than make them (lack of a welder usually, such as myself) and I have used a very inexpensive item for years and I thought I would share it. They are by no means professional, and will probably not stand up to use at a public range for very long, however for personal practice they do just fine.

I ordered "wardrobe box hanger bars" and cut one end of them to the desired length and so they could be stuck into the ground. They come in 24" and 20". (you can also stick in a vice and bend back and forth until they break if you do not have a method for cutting metal)

These things are metal, stand up to lead shot (down to #4 shot) and hold clays very well. They are very light and stack for easy carry and storage. And their flat top, which also allows you to place knock down targets on top of them.

The kicker....they are $1.72 each!

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/packaging/boxes-cartons/Specialty-Moving-Boxes/24-hanger-bar-24-wardrobe-box

You can also find them on staples.com and amazon.com. Just google "wardrobe box hanger bars"

(See pics. Sorry I don't have a pic of a knock over plate on top, but you can get the idea)

post-45831-0-18682000-1359990181_thumb.j

post-45831-0-85646300-1359990186_thumb.j

No problem at all, glad to share.

They work great.

The simplest way to use them is to simply straighten one end with pliers, and hammer the edges straight against something hard and flat.

I like the idea about putting two together. I'm going to try that.

I haven't ever had to use rubber bands, they hold clays well enough.

And they hold my 3" and 8" AR500 knockdowns (thetargetman_llc off ebay 20$ for 6 3", 40$ for 6 8" shipped) for plinking with my rimfires, centerfires or shotgun.

I used to use rebar, but these are much lighter and easier to carry, you can stack a dozen of them together and hold them with a big rubber band and it weighs a few pounds.

I hope you all enjoy them. I do.

well i bought a set of the 3" knockdowns i figure at $23 shipped theyll be a cheap experiment/lesson. If they hold up great, if not thats ok. Ill be using stock 9mm and handloaded 40 on them also some #8 shot. Ill try and report back in a week or so.

Cool!

I made mine out of steel that "self-reset" because I didn't want to have to go back and forth putting clay birds on stands. The range I can practice at is 52 miles away, so range time is a premium. Wanted to maximize my time shooting.

SteelClayTargetsTwo_zps8047e09e.jpg

It's just mild A36 steel. It does fine with birdshot and .22LR, especially when I am teaching my nieces and nephews how to shoot, either with the Buckmark or a 10/22. They get to hear it go DING! and it swings back and forth. So it is instantaneously reinforcing. Also made it so claybirds will fit in those steel rings. The Mark II version will most likely get hinged on the bottom and also be self resetting. No more bending over and picking up steel plates out of the mud like other steel plate stands.

Edited by Chills1994

Chills, how'd you make that self-resetting? Attach a steel cable between two to hang the targets?

I sent you a PM. Here's another pic:

shotgunSteelTargetsTwo-1.jpg

Maybe that helps (and no, those aren't driveway markers like you see out along country roads. :roflol: )

If you have an office depot or staples near you, they stock them as well. Purchasing 10 plus shipping from the link above put the stands at about 3.xx ea and they are the same price local if you want to get them quicker. Thanks for the idea though OP

Check with your local moving companies. the moving company i went to had used ones they kept in the back of the warehouse they will sell for .50 each. I bought a bunch and they always have them in stock.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...