Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio with big grips?

Ben Stoeger

The CZ Tactical sport has a big grip for sure, I had a EAA Witness Limited HC that was fairly big and you could find some grips to your liking.

Forgot to ask if its was a production gun or limited sorry lol.

Edited by G34 CORDY

Ben> The large frame pistols have a lot of grip "Meat" to work with. The stock wooden grips are a little too thick for my liking, but the Henning Grip Panels feel really nice. To get a proper "Feel" of the grip size make sure that you try a large frame EAA/Tanfo pistol. This would be a Limited, Limited Pro, Match, Stock II or Stock I. The Limited and Limited Pro have the exact same grip size and feel. The Match, Stock II, and Stock I all have a little bit of differences in front or back checkering. Keep in mind that the Stock III is a small frame gun and the overall grip is slightly smaller.

For a production rig people are using the Limited Pro or the Stock III.

Ben> The large frame pistols have a lot of grip "Meat" to work with. The stock wooden grips are a little too thick for my liking, but the Henning Grip Panels feel really nice. To get a proper "Feel" of the grip size make sure that you try a large frame EAA/Tanfo pistol. This would be a Limited, Limited Pro, Match, Stock II or Stock I. The Limited and Limited Pro have the exact same grip size and feel. The Match, Stock II, and Stock I all have a little bit of differences in front or back checkering. Keep in mind that the Stock III is a small frame gun and the overall grip is slightly smaller.

Not to derail the thread, but I've heard from tons of people - Eric himself even - that externally the small frame and the large frame are exactly the same in terms of dimension. You have a ton of experience with these guns as well, so now I'm confused.

The rubber grips that Tanfoglio ships with some guns are certainly the widest grips, then the wood grips, followed closely by the Henning grips. I can deal with all 3 , and I shoot a CZ TS, too. Large frame Tanfos with the factory checkering and smooth Henning grips are the perfect size for me, once you build up shooting calluses , that checkering is sharp!

Edited by pivoproseem

Yes. They are. The only difference is the magazine channel is bigger in the large frame due to more material were taken out from the frame to accept a slightly larger magazines.

Not to derail the thread, but I've heard from tons of people - Eric himself even - that externally the small frame and the large frame are exactly the same in terms of dimension. You have a ton of experience with these guns as well, so now I'm confused.

Why not a Stock 2?

More drift... Holster?

The Stock 2 is a 4.5 inch barrel gun and retails for $100 more than the Limited Pro. The Limited Pro has a 4.75 inch barrel and pretty much all of the same features as the Stock 2 for $100 less. That and you can find Limited Pro pistols pretty easy right now.

Realistically the Stock II, and Limited Pro will both work well for Production division. With both of these guns being based on the large frame design it will be easier to find "Good" magazines for them. EAA/Tanfo recently changed the design of their magazines and they are now being manufactured by Mec-Gar. These new style magazines will feed 9mm and .40 caliber ammo properly unlike the old style magazines. I am not sure what the reliability is on the small frame pistols as those are not very popular here in the US. With the new Stock III coming out it may cause a major shift to that pistol, but people still need to prove its reliability and who knows how much of a pain in the ass it is to get magazines for it.

To answer your other question about holsters, the best holsters for these guns are made by Blade-Tech.

The Stock 2 is a 4.5 inch barrel gun and retails for $100 more than the Limited Pro. The Limited Pro has a 4.75 inch barrel and pretty much all of the same features as the Stock 2 for $100 less. That and you can find Limited Pro pistols pretty easy right now.

Hypothetically, if there wasn't an availability or price issue, the preference would be for the Stock 2 right?

I like a gun that has a big gripping surface... like a glock 34 or whatever. CZ pistols feel too small to me.

What Tanfoglio/EAA gun has a big gripping surface like this?

The custom frame with the walnut grips is my choice. Its a big grip (too big for almost everyone) but feels great to me.

I have the same opinion about CZ's that you do, but a 34 does NOT feel like it has a lot of gripping surface to me....? Its more like a slick 2x4.. ;)

Edited by Nealio

Hypothetically, if there wasn't an availability or price issue, the preference would be for the Stock 2 right?

The Stock II would be the "Popular" choice. The production shooters that were using the Stock II seem to be flocking towards the Stock III now even though it uses the small frame magazines. Is that because its actually better, or simply the newest toy to play with I am not sure? I shoot Limited so what do I know?

The Stock II would be the "Popular" choice. The production shooters that were using the Stock II seem to be flocking towards the Stock III now even though it uses the small frame magazines. Is that because its actually better, or simply the newest toy to play with I am not sure? I shoot Limited so what do I know?

I have no idea how many people even shoot these things.

The Limited Pro is a short dust cover and the Stock II is a long dust cover correct? I would think they will feel slightly different during recoil and in transitions. Personally i have no experience between the two. I shoot the Limited.

I think you right on that , I was using a stock 2 for some time and jumped on the stock 3 model when they become available for few months . I find them to be a glorified copy of a cz , with an average trigger and an overall heavier slide than stock 2 , good for some slow long distance shoots but not the best gun to swing fast between ports and slow to cycle compare to stock 2 . The new trigger group that folks like so much now has become a standard thing on tanfoglios , my new stock 2 in .40 did came with the new model trigger system on it.

Edited by babo_al

I held all the different Tanfoglio guns at their display at the US IPSC nationals. Asked the same question, what is the difference between small and large frame. The rep said no difference in all the important external dimensions, bigger cut for the magazine channel on the Large frame as well as the Large frame barrel locks up 1/10" further forward, so the slides are not interchangeable (at least as a functioning gun).

Did seem like there were differences in the front/back checkering which can make them feel different in the hand. I agree that the small frame CZ guns do feel smaller overall which has me looking for fat, palm-swell grips. The triggers on the Tanfos had a lot more curve than either my standard Shadow or my Shadow Custom w/CZ85 trigger. Of those, I like the CZ85-shape trigger the best. The rounded trigger guard on the CZ is different than the squared Tanfo guard. I'm hooking my left index finger a little past the 2nd finger but it's no problem. Talking strictly about how they sit in the hand (strong hand only) I think the Tanfos point a little lower (as in more like a Beretta).

Although reported the only difference is mag well size opening, in fact i have found that large frame and small frame are slightly different in external dimensions...mostly front to back. E: limited custom/ large frame are slightly larger than small frame stock 2. wood grips thicker...than henning...then the eric grips....than factory aluminum....which actually are recessed in the centre. U may like the henning or wood grips Ben.

I prefer the tallest, thinnest Eric front sight for ease of installation, and soon the production compliant Eric firing pin and hammer. I have come to like the old sear set up better...although the da is shorter/ lighter in with the two piece sear system, the sa of the older sear is lighter, and has shorter reset.