Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory .40 pf?

G34 CORDY

Iam just coming from production to limited and have a question about off the shelf ammo and pf. What pf is most factory ammo wwb etc? Does it make major or way over major? I havnt started reloading yet but will shortly but for the mean time it will be either off the shelf stuff or Atlanta Arms major .40. Thanks

I chrono'd some of my buddys 165gr white box through his Infinity a couple years ago and it was 187-188PF. We go through a ton of factory stuff from various manufacturers at work. It seems like they have backed it down a bit in the last year or two but I think most of it would make major out of a 5" gun.

I chrono'd some of my buddys 165gr white box through his Infinity a couple years ago and it was 187-188PF. We go through a ton of factory stuff from various manufacturers at work. It seems like they have backed it down a bit in the last year or two but I think most of it would make major out of a 5" gun.

Mine is a 5.4 inch barrel if it makes any difference lol. I should order some Atlanta Arms for matches until I can load my own. 180 WWB chrono's around 189 or so. Damn I need a reloader

If I recall correctly Blazer 180 gr. FMJ was something like 182+pf out of an Edge; WWB 180 gr. was around 181 pf. and Federal Hydrashok (haha) was a little slower, something like 179 pf. Regular factory stuff is way too hot for our game

If I recall correctly Blazer 180 gr. FMJ was something like 182+pf out of an Edge; WWB 180 gr. was around 181 pf. and Federal Hydrashok (haha) was a little slower, something like 179 pf. Regular factory stuff is way too hot for our game

Factory isn't tuned (internal ballistics) for our guns.

I run 5.3gn Titegroup behind a Montana Gold 180 and make 191-193PF. And it is softer shooting than factory fodder. But I have spring rates (mainspring and recoil spring) to help with the faster pressure impulse of the TG powder.

A few years ago, I ran WWB 165 fmj at the Area 5 match, and it came up just over 170pf at the chrono, out of a 5" STI. For some strange reason, the WWB 165s were more accurate in that particular pistol than any of the handloads I tried. Usually, it's the other way around.

American eagle 165's. I have a stinking suspician they run down the assembly line and get the same powder charge as the 180 gr loads. At a couple majors I got 1040 fps out of a 5" Para. about the best available factory ammo. at the time WWB 165 wasnt readily available but looks like they are doing the same thing.

Mine is a 5.4 inch barrel if it makes any difference lol.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here stud, but if you break out a caliper, the TS barrel is actually about 5.08" from muzzle to breech. CZUB advertises the correct length in mm, but CZ USA can't seem to get the conversion right, it's the same with the 4.5" barrel on your Shadow.

I know size doesn't matter, unless you want to compare right?!?

Edited by kneelingatlas

I did some chrono'ing of factory a couple of years ago and here are the PF results from 2 guns.

Federal 180gr FMJ

STI Trojan - 188388

Glock 35 - 187308

WWB 180gr FMJ

STI Trojan - 186768

Glock 35 - 183150

CCI Blazer Brass 165gr FMJ

STI Trojan - 185229

Glock 35 - 179388