Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Contacting John Amidon

Sarge

I just wanted to let everybody know that John is surprisingly easy to get in touch with. Sometimes we come here and debate various rules questions. While that is sometimes very informative it is more often than not 10 pages of opinions that may or may not be valid. I had a few questions this week and I thought I would take a stab at reaching John directly. BAM! got a reply in a matter of minutes. Exchanged a few more emails and it was almost like being in a chat. He took the time to answer all my questions. And I took them as gospel since they were more about administrative issues than they were about rules.

My hats off to John, NROI and USPSA HQ in general. All branches of the governing body have been pretty easy to work with and quick to respond.

Thanks

Kevin

All my dealings with John has been via e-mail. I've done it that way for several years now. Usually its getting the stages for a Level 2 or 3 match approved. Also I've had questions about NROI programs.

John's response rate is 100% and at times, extremely fast. Earlier this month I had a question for John and was advised he was getting ready for Shot Show so it would probably be after the show before I heard back. Not so. Got my answer within the hour.

Thanks John.

Bill

I think if you ask a question that already has a response, he figures you should be able to find it yourself. Kind of dis-enabling.

I will guarantee that the question I asked did not have a definite answer, as the rule I asked about had only been (supposedly) in effect for 5 days.

I think if you ask a question that already has a response, he figures you should be able to find it yourself. Kind of dis-enabling.

There are many a thread on here debating some of Johns stated opinions regarding black and white rules. He clearly does not get everything right all the time. However, I asked him questions that did not pertain to outright rules per say. And like I said, he responded quickly and with good information. And I appreciated that from such a busy person.

Sometimes I wonder if it is a good thing that we have this much access to Amidon. I've never met him, but I'm sure he is a good guy who only has the sport's best interest at heart. But it is too easy for the question to be misinterpreted, or the answer to be misinterpreted, or any other number of miscommunications to take place. We've seen several examples here on the forum of e-mails from Amidon that left someone scratching their head in confusion.

Good question.

If we were to have a more formalized and managed process for requesting rulings, how should it be structured?

What would be the process?

What would be considered a reasonable timeframe to expect a response?

If a response didn't seem correct, what then?

I'm sincere in asking these questions.

There's no reason we as the members shouldn't express concern over a situation that could bear improvement, but shouldn't we also be ready to suggest a solution?

I've emailed John, maybe 4 times, with some very novice questions in the past 2 years. He's always replied promptly although one time incorrectly. I couldn't expect him to memorize every configuration of every production gun so the misinformation was understandable. I really appreciate his availability to the rank and file.

Does John work alone? Perhaps if he had someone, or a few, we could e-mail those people. Then if they did not know, they could contact him. It would cut down on his clutter and give us more access to those answers. Like when I e-mailed him, I'm sure any r.m. Or such could have answered it. Save John fer the big stuff.

Sorry, I was on my smart phone and the sacrasm was automatically deleted... :)