Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pinning STI mags for shoot in Canada/ Ny/ Mass

jcc7x7

I'm told the guys in Canada pin their 170 mags to keep them legal at home.

how do y'all do this?

Need to pin mine for about a year while I'm in NY. then I'll go from there when I go back home to TX

thanks

One method:

Drill a hole at a low point of the mag body,

Install a spacer strip that limits the travel of the follower to only allow 10 rounds,

Pop rivet the spacer to the mag body.

Pictured here is a 140mm 9/38 sti mag.

post-17008-0-11723300-1358759066_thumb.j

post-17008-0-28776900-1358759095_thumb.j

Edited by sarpau

One method:

Drill a hole at a low point of the mag body,

Install a spacer strip that limits the travel of the follower to only allow 10 rounds,

Pop rivet the spacer to the mag body.

Pictured here is a 140mm 9/38 sti mag.

This is how I did my NJ mags

As mentioned, the spacer is a strip of material that limits the travel of the follower so you can't get the 11th round in.

In the pictures above, it is a strip of aluminum.

That's how I bought it here in Canada, and is an approved method to our authorities.

I'd assume its good to go for any US authorities, but you would have to check with yours to be sure.

The one in the picture is about 2 1/4" long, looks to be a 1/8" thick flat bar, wide enough to fit the back of the magazine.

In order to do any maintenance to the magazine, you will have to drill out the pop rivet to get the follower out, replace any parts you need to, and the rivet it all back together.

Welcome to the wonderful world of capacity restrictions.

I would hate to have to drill out pop rivets to change mag springs and followers. Would it be legal to get a set of cheap as in plastic base pads and cut a piece of wood dowel and drill a hole thru the base pad to attach the dowel the proper length to allow only X number of rounds to fit the mag? Then you could just change back to your normal base pads and be good to go. Just a thought.

What is shown is just one method.

Could you replace the rivet with a screw so yo can remove the limiter and be legal? That's where you have to learn what is acceptable in the state you are in.

removable spacer, dowel limiting follower travel, etc, all accomplish the same thing.

Just have to look at the wording of your laws.

In Canada, the wording is such that a "permanent" method of restricting the mag capacity is required.

Its been common practice to use aluminum pop rivets.

Would fixing an aluminum strip to a Dawson Basepad, so it went up the center of the spring and stopped the follower be considered "permanent"? Then have a set of basepads stored out of state/country and only need to switch basepads?

Guys THANKS for the ideas and the help and NOT turning it into another political debate. we All know it SUCKS.

My idea

Nylon plug appox 3 inches long.

Trimmed down to fit inside of mag

Spring shortened to allow 10 rounds and some space to making loading easy without allowing the eleventh round

Secure plug to Dillon base pad. Use the method that meets the legal requirement in your area.

This seems Ok with the authorities here. Self admittiedly they don't know either. Their answer was if it only holds 10 I don't care how you do it!!!! Not very comforting but the way I'm going at this point

Again thanks, hope to keep thread going to hear from some of the folks from Canada

again thanks to all

jcc7x7

Seems to me that the rivet would suffice for "permanent". Dont make it any worse than it has to be.

Pop rivets can be drilled out.

Roll pins can be removed from collapsible stocks, silver solder can be melted out of the pin holding muzzle attachments on, and I'm sure all the limited & open guys were using PRE '93 mags before all this nonsense.

M&P 15/22 mags were all 25 rounders. The ten rounders for sale in NY were limited by guess what? A pin to stop the follower.

For a game gun with mags that aren't going to be carried, a rivet is a pretty permanent modification that can not be "readily" restored.

Better make darn sure you can NOT fit 11 in there though.

Your best bet is to ask whoever is in charge of the matches at whatever range you'll be shooting at and see how they are handling the situation. If they're smart, they already have talked to there assemblyman and/or lawyer about how to proceed.

S. 2230 24 A. 2388

LAWS OF TWO THOUSAND THIRTEEN WHICH AMENDED THIS PARAGRAPH AND MAY SO

LAWFULLY POSSESS IT THEREAFTER UPON REGISTRATION, SHALL ONLY BE SUBJECT

TO PUNISHMENT PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH © OF SUBDIVISION SIXTEEN-A OF

SECTION 400.00 OF THIS CHAPTER; provided, that such a license OR REGIS

TRATION shall not preclude a conviction for the offense defined in

subdivision three of section 265.01 of this article OR SECTION 265.01-A

OF THIS ARTICLE.

7-F. POSSESSION AND USE OF A MAGAZINE, BELT, FEED STRIP OR SIMILAR

DEVICE, THAT CONTAINS MORE THAN SEVEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION, BUT THAT

DOES NOT HAVE A CAPACITY OF OR CAN READILY BE RESTORED OR CONVERTED TO

ACCEPT MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION, AT AN INDOOR OR OUTDOOR

FIRING RANGE LOCATED IN OR ON PREMISES OWNED OR OCCUPIED BY A DULY

INCORPORATED ORGANIZATION ORGANIZED FOR CONSERVATION PURPOSES OR TO

FOSTER PROFICIENCY IN ARMS; AT AN INDOOR OR OUTDOOR FIRING RANGE FOR THE

PURPOSE OF FIRING A RIFLE OR SHOTGUN; AT A COLLEGIATE, OLYMPIC OR TARGET

SHOOTING COMPETITION UNDER THE AUSPICES OF OR APPROVED BY THE NATIONAL

RIFLE ASSOCIATION; OR AT AN ORGANIZED MATCH SANCTIONED BY THE INTERNA

TIONAL HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE ASSOCIATION.

Edited by robb315

Thanks again for all the help.

The solution is all of the above regarding how to limit mag.

As long as the mag holds ten and is "permanent" its all good.

We all no nothing is permanent BUT the idea is you just can't have a "duck Plug" in the mag like the arredondo that comes out when the base pad is taken off.

The unless is if the base pad is screwed on the powers to be feel that will pass the test of "permanent"

GOD bless Texas

thanks y'all