Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powder for 124gr MG CMJ and possibly 124gr PD JHPs

Endyo

Reliability and consistency are the 2 most important criteria followed by reduced felt recoil produced by the powder/bullet combo and finally I need enough accuracy to shoot a 6inch to man sized target 20-25 yards freehand (IDPA).

As long as total cost per round stays somewhere below .20cents around. Reduced noise and muzzle flash and temperature (cold) resistant powders (falls under reliability) are bonuses I'd be willing to pay more for.

Constant Variables:

-I plan on using 124gr Montana Gold CMJ (which I believe are electroplated). That is about the best I can find as far as bullets go that are IN STOCK.

-I run a Glock G34 with 14lb recoil spring

-Dillion 650 press

-Federal Small Pistol Primers (have 7k of them left)

-Brass Casings

I am considering ordering Precision Delta 124gr JHP. This is since Hollow Points are said to be "more accurate" due to the uniform base, and center of gravity = more stability. These are on Backorder but are $20 cheaper than the MG I ordered ($90 vs $110)

So Which Powder???

Will it be OK to use a faster burning powder due to the plated rounds. Another reason I'm considering the Precision Deltas JHPs on backorder.

So far I've narrowed it down to

-Titegroup

-Solo 1000

-VV 320

-VV 340

(I had bad experience with Winchester WSF nothing against Winchester I just have a bad taste in my mouth from my previous experience would like to try something different)

Really leaning heavily towards the VV320.

Should I consider the 340 with the Montana Gold CMJ?

Edited by Endyo

320 is the best on your list. Clean, very consistent, not temp sensitive. At around 4.0-4.2 grains will cost you about 1.2 cents per round. "Cheaper" powders cost about .8 cents per round so you can afford to buy good powder.

After 320 probably Win 231 then S1000. TG is cheap and easy to come by but it burns really hot and some don't like that. I used it for awhile until I made the move to 320.

MG CMJ are not electroplated. They're lead with a gas check and then a traditional jacket that wraps around the bullet and partially overlaps the gas check.

For 124gr jacketed bullets, I've been very happy with Universal Clays.

N320 all day, every day. After N320, the rest are just ok. My 2nd choice powder in 9mm minor is IMR SR7625 with 4.6 grains under a 124 MG cmj, aol 1.135 yields a PF of 130.4 (last check) out of my G17. I have used Titegroup, and Solo1000 but did not care for them. I am contemplating trying WST.

MG CMJ are not electroplated. They're lead with a gas check and then a traditional jacket that wraps around the bullet and partially overlaps the gas check.

For 124gr jacketed bullets, I've been very happy with Universal Clays.

Thank you I'll edit my post. I researched to find out what CMJ was exactly. Not being an expert what I found was that it was electroplated. Since you've informed me this is incorrect I'll defer to your knowledge base.

Bummer WSF didn't work for you, that's what I use and it works out for cold since its reverse sensitive and gets faster in winter (not a huge swing 65isf F 1040-1050 fps and at 10ish F 1075-1090 fps) it helped the gun cycle more reliably with the cold.

My load:

124 gr MG JHP

4.5 gr WSF

OAL 1.095"

Shot with M&P 9mm 5" stock barrel. It'll probably get a touch faster when the KKM barrel get put in.

Another shooter up here (Alaska) likes WST with 124's and 147's not sure on the charge weights though.

Autocomp with the MG 124 JHP works really well for me. I used Winchester primers but don't think I will see a difference when I switch to the federals I bought since Winchester were no where to be found when I was looking a few weeks ago. I've use the autocomp powder for 9mm, .40 and 45 with complete satisfaction. The nice this is I don't have to worry about mixing the powders up.

Wow I was gone at work and training for a few days. Ton of useful information to pile through here. Still got a few weeks before I start churning out on the press.

Looks like the seller on the 650 I was going to purchase has backed out. I'm still shopping.

320 is the best on your list. Clean, very consistent, not temp sensitive. At around 4.0-4.2 grains will cost you about 1.2 cents per round. "Cheaper" powders cost about .8 cents per round so you can afford to buy good powder.

After 320 probably Win 231 then S1000. TG is cheap and easy to come by but it burns really hot and some don't like that. I used it for awhile until I made the move to 320.

I think your powder cost per round is somewhat low at 1.2 cents per load.

7000 grains to a 1lb container

Average 4.1 grains per load (your data) = 1707 loads per container

1707 loads x $ 0.012 (your data) = $20.49 per 1 lb container for N320

I have never seen that price in recent history.

or

28000 grains to a 4lb container

Average 4.1 grains per load (your data) = 6829 loads per container

6829 loads x $ 0.012 (your data) = $81.95 per 4 lb container for N320

I have never seen that price in recent history.