Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo availability

darkmark

Yeah, I am in agreement, I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. We all have to start being more involved in the political aspect of this ordeal or we will lose some of what we enjoy. Please start writing, calling, and getting involved as much as possible so hopefully we can get things back to the way they were.

I can't even find .22lr at walmart for the local steel challenge match.

I know we are up against a serious challenge but FWIW around here Walmart hardly has anything on the shelves anytime. They don't seem to stock much.

The scariest prediction I've seen - complete hearsay, admittedly - is that ammo suppliers are so far back ordered that things won't clear up until late 2013, around Christmas, if then.

I just ordered another 500 pieces of .223 brass, but I can't find bullets - either Hornady 68s or 75s or Sierra 69/77s - anywhere that aren't backordered.

I've got components to load about 900 rounds of .45, but I never bothered to get any of the hardware for 9mm - it's always been so cheap it wasn't worth it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the big matches start in the spring, how ammo availability effects things.

My feeling is it is going to get worse. Make your feelings known to those who affect this, If you don't we won't see ammo for a long time!

Heed the above words please, because I've heard through the grapevine that reloading is also a future target. So even though it sucks for commercial ammo and reloading components, it can indeed get worse.

Bullets aren't that hard to find if you aren't picky. Vmax's and Nosler Custom Comps are out there. Here are some pulled ones, but I don't know if they are steel cored or not. I know the 147s aren't. http://www.topbrass-inc.com/reloading-supplies/products.php?category_id=28

I'm thinking my 9mm carbine is going to get a lot of use this year on the ranges where it's 100 yards max.

Edited by mscott

Walmart here in my area is already starting to bounce back, the media blitz on gun control coupled with the holidays just cleaned them out some local sporting goods stores were the same way (mostly for .223) handgun ammo was still readily available here at Scheels in the midwest they did however impose a two box per/person limit (I am sure if I had explained I needed the ammo to attend XY or Z competition) they would have made an exception.

Edited by promod1385

It's crazy over here too. I work a few hours a week at Sports Authority and we are seeing steady supply coming in. Not much more or less than normal. Can't keep .223, .308, 9mm 22lr on the shelf for more than a week or two. And that's after the price increase around the holidays. It would be good to start limiting the purchases but we don't currently have a policy on that yet.

When I cannot find 12ga shotgun....I know things are bad. Not a box to be found at my local walmart. Cannot find .22 anywhere...I reload everything else. Curious how many will be at our local 3gun match this SAT.

Is this just a local / regional thing? Because the local gun stores and Walmarts around here are always well stocked, and the prices haven't even gone up. I bought a box of Winchester .380 self-defense & 9mm self-defense ammo yesterday and got home to find I still had the old box I had purchased years ago and the price was exactly the same. ($19.99). And they have cases and cases of rifle ammo, and .22 LR ammo too. I recently bought 1,000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag for $6.99 per 100. It was actually ON SALE just 2 weeks after the Newtown shooting.

Well if you want to buy some rifle ammo and mail it to me, that would be super. All the shelves are dried up here in DFW. I bought out a local shop in primers (oh no, almost 2200 of them!) but spent my whole day looking for 22. Only found $20/50 round wolf, and bulk remington that I'm not sure will run.

I actually bought a sig 552 to shoot in all the local matches because I've given up on ever shooting 223 again. The few hundred I have are being saved in case of need.

I have a simple solution. I am going to be shooting 1-A in lieu of 2 anywhere.

I do that when shooting my 308 at local matches. But instead of counting the rounds, I count 75 cents, $1.50, $2.25, $3.00, and so on. WIth the rate its going, I'm gonna be counting with higher amounts.