Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bushnell 1-6.5x24, how do you guys feel about yours?

It's my first scope so I am not sure if I expected too much from it, but the narrow eye box that requires a very careful placement of the head at high magnification has been hard for me to live with. I used to have an aimpoint so maybe I've been spoiled.

I'm currently the only one in my whole club with a 1-6x scope so I haven't had much chance in comparing with other people. Most people here use irons or aimpoints, so I ask the question here. Do other 1-6 scopes have as narrow an eye box as this scope does? What are your experiences?

I've also been wondering about 1-4x scopes, do they give greater "flexibility"? I was told by some guy on a forum the increased magnification range of these scopes in combination with the small objective contribute to a narrower eye box and other issues.

I have been starting to contemplate trying to find myself an ACOG TA11, since I've heard is that it's a top notch optic with a giant eyebox that makes it great for fast shooting from various positions. I would dearly like to try one but they are practically unheard of here.

I like mine. I agree that the eyebox is a little less forgiving, but I grabbed an extra-exfended mount to get it a little further forward on the rifle and that seemed to help. Im not looking for a different optic at this point.

Yes, I have 2 1-6 scopes and as the magnification goes up, the eyebox does narrow down some. I had to re-position my usual scope position to adjust to this. Now that I have them mounted correctly for my eyes/cheek weld, I never really have problems getting the scope up on target, unless it's a really odd position and then I have to work at it a little sometimes.

I did notice with my 1-4 scopes before that they were more forgiving but you give up the power also, it's all a tradeoff...

Everything is a trade off, if you want a 6x scope learn proper head placement. Consistency is the key to accuracy and this is no different. I run a Swaro, one of the highest price scopes out there for our game. If I don't put my head in the right place I get what I get. I wouldn't give up on it just yet. I would practice, even dry fire practice, improvised shooting positions for awhile and then make your decision. Good luck.

I really like mine! I have a second focal plain BRT-2. I find it much more forgiving of head placement than the first focal plain BTR-1 I had. I think for the dinero it is darn hard to beat!

I've been using a BTR2 SFP since about June of last year. I love it. Coming from shooting irons, I'm not willing to accept a sloppy cheek weld, so the reduced size "eyebox" isn't an issue for me.

I really wish someone would come up w/ a more technical term than "eyebox." It just doesn't sound right to me...

I really like mine! The term you are looking for Bryan is "exit pupil diameter".. I think that for the money it is one of the best built optics out there. I really like the BTR-1 retical and have found it to be well regulated for most 223 loads out to 600 or so.

Edited by kurtm

Thank You Kurt! Everytime I hear "eyebox" I can't help but start singing some old The Who.

Mama's got a squeeze box she wears on her chest, and when daddy comes home he never gets no rest...Cause she's playing all night.....And the musics alright

• 3 weeks later...

I like mine as well. It is all about head placement/cheekweld. If you go to a higher power scope this is always an issue compared to a dot. I have flown to numerous matches in the last year and the scope has never needed to be rezeroed. Much more important to me than making sure I have a good cheekweld. I had a swaro and don't feel it was any better on six power.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the BRT-2 SFP model and really like it. I agree there could a bit more forgiveness in eye relief but the clarity and reticle make it worth it. I will probably get a 2nd one so I will have one on both my TO and HTO rifles. I used it on my HTO this past fall to take two does at 210 and 219 yds in the dwindling light of sunset.

Craig

Used it for 3 big matches last year. Loved it for the long range stages, but had trouble with 50 yards & in, especially when no- shoots are involved. I hit 6 at FB3G. Over the last few months, I've put it on my .22 and gone through a couple thousand rounds on plate racks, paper target transitions and half covered head shots. I'm getting a bit more comfortable with the reticle for close up targets now.

Used it for 3 big matches last year. Loved it for the long range stages, but had trouble with 50 yards & in, especially when no- shoots are involved. I hit 6 at FB3G. Over the last few months, I've put it on my .22 and gone through a couple thousand rounds on plate racks, paper target transitions and half covered head shots. I'm getting a bit more comfortable with the reticle for close up targets now.

You zero in the scope at which distance and scope mount height?

The term you guys are looking for is called exit pupil. And there is a math problem that can calculate it in MM. I believe it's objective size / power. And as power goes up, the exit pupil is going to get smaller. The options are increasing the size of the objective lens or reducing power. In this case, 24/6.5=3.69. Ideally, for the brightest view, it would be quite a bit more than that, perhaps 2x that.

Unfortunately, the hole in your eye that gathers light can only be so big.

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Exit_pupil

Edited by twodownzero