Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

most disliked phrases and sayings and why

wadrew

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never noticed in my first twenty years, that my grandmother begins every sentence with "Say,....." After noticing it one day, it has really irritated me since.

My younger sister finally quit using "like" five times a sentence, much to my delight.

I am immune to "dude" thankfully

Things I hear people say on the radio"

Preventative

Argumentative

" Joe Blow was arrested this morning for"Investigation of Impaired Driving"

Was Joe stopping cars and checking peoples breath while impersonating and officer or was he driving while under the influence?

"An auto is better then a revolver"

AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

DogmaDog

People using that sentence show lack of knowledge in more than one way :wacko:

We all know revolvers rule ;)

Actually that reminds me of one of my pet peeves.

I hate it when someone states their opinion as fact.

I notice it a lot in "tactical classes." "This is the best method, period." It may be the best method for you, champ, but it ain't the best method. Someone will come along with a better one.

"IPSC will get you killed." "Autos are better than revolvers." "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah."

What I've always hated was the weather forecast, "Partly cloudy, chance of rain." What kind of wimpy, failure to commit weather forecast is that? If it's almost totally overcast but there's a break in the clouds anywhere, they're right. If it's a beautiful day with one wispy cloud somewhere in the bowl of heaven, they're right. If it rains, they're right. If it doesn't rain, they're right. Jesus wept.

I've fallen into a whole new world of "television-speak:"

• "It's in development..."

• "Cut to the chase...the bottom line...(fill in the blank)"

• "He's friggin' *talent*; what did you expect?"

I hate it all, without regard to race, color, creed or media.

CONFESSIONAL: I am one of the people who, in the early 1980s, conspired to shove the word "paradigm" back into the English language. I could tell you the whole sordid story, but suffice to say that I am sorry. Ditto for the word "extreme" in the early 1990s. I am sorry for that, too. I realize I am going to BUZZWORD HELL for my sins. I did it for the money. Put on the handcuffs and take me away, dude...

mb

Forget the handcuffs, tell us what you've been foisting on the public lately, so we can be prepared.

And the "moot" vs. "mute" and others I ascribe to the increasing verbalization of society. No one reads any more, we only listen. Thus we have people typing "mute" "there" "walla" and all the other butcheries of the English language.

Me, I don't let such things bother me. I simply adjust the "Sweeney Scale-o-Meter" accordingly. "Jesus, this guy just mis-pronounced five words in a row, and invented his own unique gerund. How much faith can I place in his initial statement of 'As everyone knows....'?"

"What I've always hated was the weather forecast, "Partly cloudy, chance of rain." What kind of wimpy, failure to commit weather forecast is that? If it's almost totally overcast but there's a break in the clouds anywhere, they're right. If it's a beautiful day with one wispy cloud somewhere in the bowl of heaven, they're right. If it rains, they're right. If it doesn't rain, they're right. Jesus wept."
Quote seen on an imprinted little notepad in 1994: "Meteorologist: Someone who tells us what kind of weather we're already having."

:lol::lol::lol:

I like and use the expression "Have a nice day!" In my circles, a big smile and "Have a nice day!" means "F*** ***" and nobody can file a complaint with your captain.

We were actually banned from saying that at one time, if you can believe it. The Captain new what we meant by it so he tried to put a stop to it....